News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

DR. GRIDLOCK
What if Metrolinx started to matter after all?

JEFF GRAY
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090406.GRIDLOCK6ART02249/TPStory/?query=toronto
April 6, 2009
Each Metrolinx board meeting, usually held in a de-oxygenated hotel conference room, was witnessed by a growing contingent of dark-suited bureaucrats and consultants.

While the task at hand was important - drafting a 25-year, $50-billion Toronto-area transportation plan - the most interesting thing was often the colourful local politicians on the provincial agency's board. And now the Premier is kicking them off.

Dr. Gridlock will miss them. Once, Toronto councillor Norm Kelly couldn't conceal his yawns during an especially turgid PowerPoint presentation from a consultant explaining things most of the board already knew.

Mr. Kelly later asked what in the report was new, and the answer, was, well, nothing. (Metrolinx budgeted $1.4-million for consultants in 2008.)

Another time, Durham Region chairman Roger Anderson said Metrolinx's plan to charge municipalities to oversee their transit projects was an "I'm-going-to-watch-you-dig-a-hole fee."

And Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion, never afraid to speak her mind, warned once that Metrolinx was creating a "bureaucracy that's second to none." She didn't mean it as a compliment.

York Region Chairman Bill Fisch was also good for a laugh when he proposed widening almost every major road under his control but claimed this was needed for "transit lanes." Oh, wait, he was serious.

When not clicking on their BlackBerries, Toronto Mayor David Miller and Toronto Transit Commission chairman Adam Giambrone often steered their suburban cousins toward transit sanity.

However, the last thing Metrolinx meetings needed was to get even more boring. Enter Dalton McGuinty, who in an attempt to appear to be speeding up recession-fighting spending, decided to exchange Mr. Miller et al for cautious technocrats and sensible business leaders.

Metrolinx and its local politicians could hardly be blamed for the slow pace of spending on transit. The government promised to set it up in 2003 but didn't get it going until 2007, and then Metrolinx produced a massive transportation plan, starting from scratch, in less than two years.

And Mr. McGuinty keeps changing the rules of the game. In 2007, he overrode Metrolinx and picked out $11.5-billion worth of transit projects he wanted to happen, making it unclear what the agency was needed for.

Then, any forward-thinking hint of road pricing - under consideration in cities around the world - was chopped out of Metrolinx's final plan last year after it was vetted by Queen's Park.

Final proof that it may not matter who sits on Metrolinx came last week, when, two days after he dismembered it, Mr. McGuinty promised $9-billion for Mayor David Miller's transformative light-rail vision and York Region's groundbreaking Viva bus lanes.

At least we journalists may not have to sit through as many Metrolinx meetings. It looks like the new body will be more likely to convene in secret, except when major policies are being passed.

This, of course, may concern some people, perhaps especially those who wonder why their GO train - GO Transit will soon be under Metrolinx's direct control - didn't come.

However, among the high-powered business types on the new board could be current member Paul Bedford, a former Toronto chief planner, and current chairman and former Burlington mayor Rob MacIsaac.

Despite the repeated vetoes for the idea from Queen's Park, both are consistent advocates for at least starting a discussion around road pricing in this city. Perhaps Metrolinx might start to matter after all.

jgray@globeandmail.com

Most transit oriented people in Oshawa and Ajax and Pickering are really commuters to Toronto, probably most of them use GO transit. I don't have hard stats, but its just what I could imagine.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But its the impression I have after my visits there.
47% of DRT's ridership are students - both high school and DC/UOIT. Add the seniors on and it's clear that DRT does well in carrying people who don't have much choice, but struggles to attract the discretionary rider.

Some of it is culture (Durham residents are the "happiest" about the level of traffic congestion they face of any GTA residents) and some of it is that Durham residents haven't had good models about what suburban transit *can* be, so they don't think there is any way it could meet their needs.

What Durham needs (beyond the obvious GO items) is really just attention to detail at the DRT level. Having a good grid of routes, relatively frequent all-day service, good communications from the system, and stops that aren't just a grassy field to stand in will go a long way - at least in terms of providing options.

Durham has a tradition of being auto-oriented with GM headquartered there, combine that with its smaller town oriented background its just never been a very transit centric region.

Most transit oriented people in Oshawa and Ajax and Pickering are really commuters to Toronto, probably most of them use GO transit. I don't have hard stats, but its just what I could imagine.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But its the impression I have after my visits there.
This is probably true except for the students that use transit here to get to Durham and UOIT as well as high schools.

I mean, that's why I use transit here. Take the bus to and from the train station in Pickering to get to Union, Guildwood, Exhibition, or Danforth. Also, to Oshawa, once in a while to visit friends.

but it's also built around the GO transit system, which while not the worst idea is severely restricting DRT's ability to exapand service and attract more customers, I think.

GM's on the way out as an influence, I'd think (and hope) and it really isn't an influence at all in Pickering-Ajax as far as I can tell.

It's just that our politicians, both local and regional are a little confused when it comes to running a transit system and no amount of me writing them letters with wonderful suggestions is going to help.

Durham has a tradition of being auto-oriented with GM headquartered there, combine that with its smaller town oriented background its just never been a very transit centric region.

That's a stereotype. Durham has sub-par transit for sure. But none of that has to do with GM's influence in the region. I'd be willing to bet that GM actually would not mind it all that much if more of its employees actually took transit to work. DRT's poor services has a lot to do with the attitudes of Durham residents and the councillors they elect.

FYI, Bill 163 (the Metrolinx legislation) has passed second reading and gone to committee.

Durham Transit sucks because all the politicians there historically were puppets of the building industry. The only one who never was a puppet was the mayor of Ajax, and so it is no surprise to how much better planned Ajax is compared to the rest of the region and that it is the only municipality there now considering a ban on drive-thrus.

But keep in mind, too, that unlike York and Peel, Durham has a touch of psycho-geographical dislocation and insularity relative to Toronto's transit-centric culture--the only real umbilical "corridor" plugging its urbanity into the 416 and beyond remains 401/Kingston Road, and the only transit connection other than the GO train/bus is a piddly Durham Transit line to Port Union GO station...

Durham Transit sucks because all the politicians there historically were puppets of the building industry. The only one who never was a puppet was the mayor of Ajax, and so it is no surprise to how much better planned Ajax is compared to the rest of the region and that it is the only municipality there now considering a ban on drive-thrus.

Ajax and better planned in the same sentence? You sure about that one? :)

But yeah, you're right, the mayor of Ajax has been the sanest head around these parts.

A big problem here is that the politicians are afraid of further subsidising local transit to give it a good kick-start for fear of losing votes to taxpayers who will cry buckets because "I don't use transit, why are my taxes going up, blah blah blah"

Last edited:
actually in suburbia most people do not really notice their tax rates going up because most people do not know who the mayor is. Well unless the have had the same mayor for like 8 years.

I think Susan in Brampton is going to become the Hazel of Brampton...

actually in suburbia most people do not really notice their tax rates going up because most people do not know who the mayor is. Well unless the have had the same mayor for like 8 years.

I think Susan in Brampton is going to become the Hazel of Brampton...

Knowing who the mayor is is an indicator of awareness of property tax increases?

You sure about that?

well its an indicator about how much they know about local politics.

There is so much more media coverage about Toronto city Council that I admit I know more about Toronto local politics then Brampton's.

well its an indicator about how much they know about local politics.

There is so much more media coverage about Toronto city Council that I admit I know more about Toronto local politics then Brampton's.

Knowing I follow politics a bit, it always amazes me how many people in Brampton ask me how "Mayor Miller's" new policy/tax/stance on this or that will affect us....some people actually think he is the Mayor here...honest!

lol he gets soooo much media coverage.....

I don't know if this is an error, but the April board meeting has disappeared from the list of events on the Metrolinx site.

Back