News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I find those Big 5 really disappointing as well. I really despise the Sheppard East LRT. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. It's literally BILLIONS of dollars down the drain. I dislike the SRT as well. It should just be replaced with subway. When Scarborough residents see what a hodge-podge transit system they're going to have in their borough, I think they'll throw up.

During the public part of the meeting, can the public ask questions at any point, or just watch?

Under the old board, you were allow 5 minutes if you were allow to.

To get to asked a question is a hit and miss based on what the request was and who was asking.

You had to make a request in advance of the meeting and not allow on the day of the meeting or during the meeting.

Now, you can ask staff before or after the meeting if they are there and you know who to ask in the first place. Then, do they want to hear from you and who is in front of you as they have very little time in the first place.

I expect to see next to no question been asked anymore by the public.

You can watch for only a small portion when the meeting is open to the public. Under the new board, more close doors than open meetings considering it will be every 3 months, not the monthly ones in the past.

Last edited:
Metrolinx to own Transit City

http://www.metrolinx.com/Docs/Agendas/Jul13_09/Agenda_Item8-Provincial_Framework_Repo

NEW PROVINCIAL FRAMEWORK
On June 4, 2009, the Deputy Minister of Transportation issued a framework letter to the City Manager of Toronto and the Chief Administrative Officer of York Region, outlining the bold, collaborative steps necessary to achieve the shared vision of building the regional transit network of the future – starting with the initial five priorities, including the two groundbreakings in fall 2009. Five key principles make up the new framework:

•Metrolinx ownership and control of the new, designated regional transit projects: Ownership through Metrolinx will allow the province to amortize its $10 billion investment over the useful life of the new transit assets in a fiscally responsible manner. Metrolinx will be responsible for approving project scope and budget, and for approving the terms and conditions of owning, constructing, operating and maintaining the new assets, in consultation with Toronto and York partners. The procurement of construction services, transit vehicles and other project capital requirements will also be the responsibility of Metrolinx, working closely with municipal partners.
For the new assets owned by the Province, Metrolinx will be enter into performance-based operating and maintenance agreements with municipalities, their transit agencies and other service providers.

•Provincial commitment to partnerships and cooperation: In the interest of implementation efficiency and speed, Metrolinx will build, wherever possible, on the existing, substantial expertise and resources of Toronto and York in planning, development and other essential pre-construction activities.

•Metrolinx responsibility for project scope, budget and timing: Municipally-requested changes to project scope, and the corresponding impacts on construction costs and schedules, will require Metrolinx Board approval. The Province will direct Metrolinx to adhere to “baseline†project cost eligibility criteria. Toronto and York will be responsible for additional costs that exceed the provincial baseline and Metrolinx-approved scope.

•A customer-focussed approach: Consistent with the Metrolinx “customer first†emphasis and region-wide mandate, implementation of the Presto integrated farecard system – and its future technological evolution – will be a prerequisite for each project.

•Clear project governance: Under the new ownership model, Metrolinx will be expected to develop agreements and governance structures whereby Metrolinx provides oversight for municipal and transit agency implementation teams. This is a viable model for the Sheppard LRT and the first phase of the York Viva projects, where both municipalities’ pre-existing, well-developed implementation momentum and state-of- readiness are largely responsible for the early groundbreaking target in fall 2009.

Infrastructure Ontario will act as the project delivery agent on behalf of Metrolinx on the projects designated by the Province as strong candidates for an Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) approach.

The high-potential AFP project list is expected to initially include the Finch LRT, Scarborough Rapid Transit and the second phase of the Viva BRT projects.

Most of all, the new framework emphasizes the importance of collaboration between the Province, Metrolinx, the two municipalities and their transit agencies as the key critical success factor to achieve the urgent project implementation timelines. That intent and spirit are carried over into the detailed consultations now underway with Toronto and York, and led by the CEO of Metrolinx on behalf of the Provincial interest. The consultations are moving forward in an overall collaborative, positive manner.

Once again, I really have to question Metrolinx's intentions. They must know that Transit City is flawed in so many ways, why don't they do something about it?

But, more in response to that article, I wonder if the new lines will have fare integration with Go. It makes sense, and would help Go be more popular in the 416.

Ownership through Metrolinx will allow the province to amortize its $10 billion investment over the useful life of the new transit assets in a fiscally responsible manner.

That's the key reasoning behind Metrolinx owning the lines. If the Province is putting up all the money, they should have the right to amortize their investment.

You ""CAN NOT"" speak before the board anymore and are require to submit your comments in writing that will be given to each board member.:mad:

Once again, I really have to question Metrolinx's intentions. They must know that Transit City is flawed in so many ways, why don't they do something about it?

Must they? The provincially appointed Metrolinx board mostly includes hotel operators, CEOs, bankers, lawyers, and oddly the head of Hamilton International Airport. Do you really expect them to know anything about urban transit? Get rid of these businessmen and bring on transit planners, urban planners, and engineers. Anyone educated in these disciplines could tell you immediately that Transit City is completely inappropriate if not built in conjunction with about 50km of new subway lines.

Edit: Having read that article in the Globe, I believe that this is an important excerpt, talking about actual CEO of Metrolinx:

He claims only a superficial knowledge of transportation issues, taking the GO train for the first time to his farm near Uxbridge just the other weekend. (“It was an incredible experience,†he said. Nice scenery. Excellent service.)

He doesn't have particularly strong opinions about transit. He remains passionate about newspapers, which, despite pressures on the industry, will become, he says, “more important as time goes on.â€

Yup, this is the group that has been appointed to decide the future of transit in the GTA.

Last edited:
It also says he's in a temporary position meant to oversee the transition period

Five months ago, Premier Dalton McGuinty tapped the former president and CEO of Torstar to oversee a massive $50-billion expansion of regional transit called “The Big Move.â€

“My job is to stay with this job long enough to make sure we have a really well-functioning organization,†he says in an hour-long interview.

He's coy about how long that might take, but candid about finding a replacement, “some magnificent 40-year-old with exceptional skills and knowledge in transit and a broader policy arena who can drive this place for a decade …

“That's not me.â€

October 9, 2009 3:51 PM
McGuinty Government Ensuring Strong Leadership For Agency

The new Metrolinx Board has been nominated, including current interim President and CEO Robert Prichard as the new chair.

The 15-member board is comprised of non-elected individuals with corporate and professional experience and serve staggered terms of up to three years. The nominees are:

* Robert Prichard
* Rob MacIsaac
* Peter Smith
* Elyse Allan
* Jennifer Babe
* Paul Bedford
* Rahul Bhardwaj
* Tony Gagliano
* Joe Halstead
* Richard Koroscil
* Nicholas Mutton
* Lee Parsons
* Rose Patten
* Stephen Smith
* Douglas Turnbull

The intended appointees are subject to review by the standing committee on government agencies, an all party committee of the legislature.

Metrolinx, an agency of the Ontario government, is tasked with planning and implementing a seamless, integrated transportation network, with a focus on public transit for the Greater Toronto Area and Hamilton area.

...comment from Northumberland Today

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2090204

Board stiff(s)
Posted By DAN CHRISTIE
Posted 2 days ago

A couple of weeks ago, Premier Dalton McGuinty made it clear the days of hanky-panky at Ontario's Crown corporations were over. McGuinty's warning came as a result of the hanky-panky at e-Health, the hanky-panky at OLG , the hanky-panky at -- well, you get the picture.

Two years ago, in response to a notice I found on GO Transit's website, I applied for a vacant seat on GO's board of directors.

Silly me. There I was thinking what GO Transit's board needed was somebody who knew something about trains. After all, I had been a GO brakeman, a conductor and an engineer and I pretty much knew the train side of GO Transit inside and out.

Silly me.

One of the reasons I applied had to do with a self-described "hockey Mom" from Burlington, Pat Eales, who had taken it upon herself to confront GO Transit over its dismal on-time performance stats. I sympathized with Eales and other GO users whose jobs were at risk because GO wasn't living up to its published schedules. Pat Eales, bearing an 11,000-name petition, made a brave presentation at a crowded board meeting at GO's opulent 20 Bay St. headquarters and, watching her from the hallway, I saw things Pat Eales couldn't see. One thing in particular stood out: the board of directors wasn't listening.

That was when I decided to offer GO Transit my services. If nothing else, I -- as a board member -- would at least have the courtesy to listen to the people who paid my per diem. I might even be able to do something about resolving their concerns.

Silly me.

To get a seat on any of the 630 Ontario Crown agency boards, your application first has to be short-listed by the Public Appointments Secretariat. To get short-listed by the Public Appointments Secretariat, it's probably helpful if you have a seat on the Public Appointments Secretariat -- which lives on the 24th floor of the Whitney Block and I'll be darned if I can find out just who the heck they are. Anyway, I lined up plenty of blue ribbon references and duly submitted my application on time, both by e-mail and snail mail.

The Public Appointments Secretariat never got back to me.

Anyone applying for a seat at GO Transit might first want find out who's already there. The current board's 15 members include a real estate developer, an airport manager, a hospitality expert, a former head of Toronto's Downtown Jazz Festival, the chair of Caribana, a guy who runs his family's printing business and two directors of Humber College. The usual smattering of lawyers and bankers are there, too.

An actual railroader, though, even without pinstriped coveralls and a coal-oil lamp, would stand out like a skunk at a garden party.

Advertisement

In an effort to shut Pat Eales up, the board offered her what some thought was a seat on the board of directors. Not so. It was an "advisory" position, a fluff-off. Pat Eales took the job briefly but soon realized how little effect the advisory board had and gave it up. She gave up taking the GO, too, when she found a job closer to home.

Still, mostly because of Pat Eales, GO at least does have a passenger advisory board -- made up of nine members, eight on the train side, one looking after buses. They're paid GO fare to and from meetings, given a free lunch and presented with a toy double-decker bus.

All of this is to simply say that if Premier McGuinty is serious about cleaning up the hanky-panky at Ontario's Crown agencies, maybe he'd do well to start, not with the 630 boards of directors themselves, but with the unnamed bureaucrats running the Public Appointments Secretariat.

And - silly me! I actually believe he is serious. djchrist@cogeco.ca

Yeah, all the people involved with Metrolinx and GO Transit are hacks, but we knew that already.

Back