8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, are you?

Again, you ignored my entire post, instead preferring to cut out a single line and try to act clever. Are you actually interested in a discussion or just trolling for attention?

As a reminder, what I wanted to know is what exactly makes my response hypocritical, and what disagreements you had with the reason I gave specifically, about why slurs towards us are not as harmful as the N-word towards black people. Feel free to respond.

And your decision is..?

But to answer your statement. The legacy of lost identity (connection to Africa/Africentricity), slavery and subsequent segregation/stereotyping make blacks as a 'cultural group' more sensitive to derrogatory remarks than say a white person who might laugh off being compared to a cracker. The racial slurs don't carry the same stigma, public humiliation and personal erosion of self-esteem.

I might laugh off being called a cracker but I don't think I would laugh off being called an a-hole. In this case the CFRB reporter is probably considered more a part of the social elite compared to a lowly parking attendant. What can't the CFRB reporter call the white parking attendant?

The racial slurs don't carry the same stigma, public humiliation and personal erosion of self-esteem.

In your (humble?) opinion.

I don't believe you can speak for everyone and you shouldn't try to.

In your (humble?) opinion.

I don't believe you can speak for everyone and you shouldn't try to.

I wasn't attempting to. History and common sense knowledge speaks for itself.

Abduction, lost heritage, cast overboards, slavery, being born and dying a slave, masters raping slaves, biracials torn between worlds, emancipation: free but really not, next to no pay, next to no useful lands, retribution for slavery denied, new immigrants placed on higher social pedestals then existing black population, rampant segregation, lynching, adult suffrage denied, interracial marriages null and void, civil rights era opening doors to people largely not of African decent, to the present day where people are still getting away with racial slurs like this security guard has.

Man that looks like a long list of atrocities to me, that are taught in schools hence should be known by everyone, in my extremely humble opinion!

I might laugh off being called a cracker but I don't think I would laugh off being called an a-hole. In this case the CFRB reporter is probably considered more a part of the social elite compared to a lowly parking attendant. What can't the CFRB reporter call the white parking attendant?

I'm not justifying her actions either. What I'm saying is that people often take name-calling to a whole different level they shouldn't. Look at what Seinfeld's Micheal Richards did. He was pissed at 3 black kids in the audience heckling his comedy act so he escalated his embarassment into a racist tirade. Do I think he hated all black people, of course not, but that doesn't make what he said any less mean-spirited.

The guy was being mean-spirited but it doesn't make him a racist.

The point is to be mean when you're angry. If anything, "racist" is the new "nigger" or "damn Jew" or "Chink" or whatever.

You're not going to ever eliminate racial slurs just . I mean, we now have "Canadian".

The context is much more important than the actual word said. Calling someone a "n i g g er " after they pissed you off like cutting you off on the road is different than saying "all blacks should leave North America" at a Black history month rally.

What's going to happen next? Are we going to start saying "damn teenage punks" is discrimination and can't be used when angry? Technically it is.

Are we going to forbid F U C K randomly? If someone successfully ruins someone in a case like in the OP, then one day goes and says "damn Jews" should he be held to a higher standard of onus (it should only be fair afterall).

There's too many problems with persecuting people who use slurs in a heat of the momment swear. It's just not practical and people aren't robots.

My point is that words mean little in themselves, you can say what you want and it alone should not be grounds for any real type of punitive punishment. It's only when given in certain contexts should there be punishment.

I wasn't attempting to. History and common sense knowledge speaks for itself.

Then why did you state it as a fact? You know who writes history books don't you?

to the present day where people are still getting away with racial slurs like this security guard has.

People get away with homophobic slurs all the time...I don't see you coming to annyones defence in that regard....very revealing.

in my extremely humble opinion!

LOL, you're not very humble, I've read your posts, you make a lot of false statements, and when called on them, you deflect and weasel your way out of an answer....you should go into politics :)

LOL, you're not very humble, I've read your posts, you make a lot of false statements, and when called on them, you deflect and weasel your way out of an answer....you should go into politics :)

Gee thanks ;), I've been told I have a knack for the political realm and would influence alot of social change and societal progression in the right direction. Can I count on your vote?

Then why did you state it as a fact? You know who writes history books don't you?

I also know men wrote the Bible and the Qur'an yet claim it was by divine input. What's your point? If there's enough analytical evidence to suggest something is true and has occured, then in the court of public opinion blacks did face these atrocities inflicted on them by people of another race, such that now it's extremely offensive for a non-black to perpetrate the same ideology of hate upon blacks in today's society.

People get away with homophobic slurs all the time...I don't see you coming to annyones defence in that regard....very revealing.

If you really read through all my posts (why you're singling me out like that is creepy and disturbing, btw) you'd know I defended gays against derrogatory remarks made by a banned poster named bjl. No human should be subject for persecution- physical, verbal, sexual or otherwise.

The point is to be mean when you're angry. If anything, "racist" is the new "nigger" or "damn Jew" or "Chink" or whatever.

I agree. Calling someone a racist is a conviction without a trial. Everyone will assume that the name sticks regardless of reality. Michael Richards and this parking attendant are assumed racist for using a word after being verbally attacked. Could they be racist? Of course. Even I tend to jump to that conclusion quickly. Does one word make them racists? Society seems to think so based on the press coverage and response. The fact that these individuals are branded a racist now probably does their future more harm than the n-word ever would do to the person they attacked. I think that shows the r-word (racist) is far more of an insult. Maybe they should demand apologies from their accusers for calling them racists.

The context is much more important than the actual word said. Calling someone a "n i g g er " after they pissed you off like cutting you off on the road is different than saying "all blacks should leave North America" at a Black history month rally.

Agreed. The latter should be seen as far worse despite having not used the n-word. Obviously if someone says members of a certain ethnic group must die or leave he is a racist and the non-use of the n-word is not a defense. I think it does everyone a disservice to have made the n-word so taboo that people can't see it as simply an insult at a particular person. The fact that black people can use the word in a non-insulting context even confuses the situation more. The f-word only holds power because we defined it as a socially taboo swear word. I think the same is true for the n-word. The n-word word is likely of latin origin meaning black. Black could easily be the b-word if people used it in a derogatory way. Context is everything. If a person calls someone an idiot unprovoked simply because of their race, they are racist. If a person calls someone a racial derogatory term because they are in the heat of an argument, they might or might not be racist.

Abduction, lost heritage, cast overboards, slavery, being born and dying a slave, masters raping slaves, biracials torn between worlds, emancipation: free but really not, next to no pay, next to no useful lands, retribution for slavery denied, new immigrants placed on higher social pedestals then existing black population, rampant segregation, lynching, adult suffrage denied, interracial marriages null and void, civil rights era opening doors to people largely not of African decent, to the present day where people are still getting away with racial slurs like this security guard has.

How much of the above is personal experience? And how much is just hereditary anguish?

I think it's easy for cultures to become mired in their own historic misfortune. How do you heal 15 year-olds embittered by events they've never experienced?

I think we need to start separating historic ills from current realities. Things aren't all rosy and neutral, but we're a long way from lynchings and segregation.

The guy was being mean-spirited but it doesn't make him a racist.

Well I've already said I don't think they were necessarily fundemental racists, however it doesn't make what they said any less disrespectful and morally bankrupt. Just the fact alone they uttered the word "nigger" means they made a conscious decision to single out a victim for being of a different race than their own. If we don't take action against such individuals, uttering racial epiphets in public and private realms will likely escalate into socially acceptable norms.

What's going to happen next? Are we going to start saying "damn teenage punks" is discrimination and can't be used when angry? Technically it is.

But that's a slippery slope assumption that has no basis in Canadian society, The Charter guarantees all groups considered a minority the right to freedom from discrimination. Wasn't it this type of thinking that conservative mindsets used to deny gays the right to marriage, saying it could lead to legalized bigamy, pedophilia and beastiliality?

If you must, you can call a person of colour a neutral swear word. Why must it encompass the person's ad hominen?

There's too many problems with persecuting people who use slurs in a heat of the momment swear. It's just not practical and people aren't robots.

You can learn some restraint and self-control and keep vulgar thoughts to yourself. Once racial slurs become audible, they have the potential to inflict harm.

My point is that words mean little in themselves, you can say what you want and it alone should not be grounds for any real type of punitive punishment. It's only when given in certain contexts should there be punishment.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you're not a minority. When you physically assault a person there is immediate pain but when you verbally abuse a person, especially over things they have zero control over (i.e. their genetic makeup), these things can follow the victim all through their life. Sometimes you can oppress bullyism, but after witnessing/enduring multiple incidents it can seriously disparage self-esteems and outlooks.

How much of the above is personal experience? And how much is just hereditary anguish?
I think it's easy for cultures to become mired in their own historic misfortune. How do you heal 15 year-olds embittered by events they've never experienced?
I think we need to start separating historic ills from current realities. Things aren't all rosy and neutral, but we're a long way from lynchings and segregation.

When problems facing the black community today can be traced right back to slavery and racist-policy societal segregation it is a constant reminder in Afro-Canadians minds not to let our guards down to the point of wide-scale victimization ever again.

Dentrobates also commits the injustice of painting all 'white' people with the same brush, effectively dehumanizing them and viewing them merely as a uniform entity of privileged 'enslavers'. This is the height of the very sort of bigoted and lazy thinking or stereotyping that he so viciously purports to decry when it comes to blacks.

...and such is the danger of Dentrobate's self-righteousness, by forcing yourself always as the marginalized victim of history and the whipping boy of society you are in effect doomed to to continue to be just that, if only in your own mind.

Should this be deemed politically incorrect?
honky_the_christmas_goose.jpg

Dentrobates also commits the injustice of painting all 'white' people with the same brush, effectively dehumanizing them and viewing them merely as a uniform entity of privileged 'enslavers'. This is the height of the very sort of bigoted and lazy thinking or stereotyping that he so viciously purports to decry when it comes to blacks.

...and such is the danger of Dentrobate's self-righteousness, by forcing yourself always as the marginalized victim of history and the whipping boy of society you are in effect doomed to to continue to be just that, if only in your own mind.

No. Blacks have been targeted for centuries by ruling class whites who possessed bigoted justifications for slavery/segregation. Now that blacks are finally receiving the formal education denied to them by history, more critical thinkers can arise from that community and be dispensors of social justice. If anyhting it's systematic white-controlled parliaments and governments that first made the assumption of classing all members of a race the same irregardless of any other factors.

Utilizing the same social conformity techniques to assert equalization and reparation on behalf of less-fortunate blacks doesn't make me hate other racial groups. If anything I'd like to be able to integrate more without the constant reminder that I'm the black guy selling out by associating with my non-black peers.

Jena 6 was just last year. Black-focused schools are a hot-button issue right now. I'm not saying every white is racist against blacks but don't kid yourself into thinking those proclivities are a thing of the past. I'm not using history as a crutch or limitation but that doesn't mean I should be oblivious from the ever so subtle social cues of prejudice to getting overlooked outright from certain circles/hit the glass ceiling. Personal traumas influence alot of what I post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back