News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The northern Quebec trains used to use Mount Royal, but haven't since 1995. They appear to follow the Dorion-Rigaud line for at least some of the entrance to Montreal, because they go through Dorval.

Last edited:
What route do current VIA trains take to get into Gare Cenrale from Dorval? I would imagine the mount royal tunnel, but i have never travelled the route.
Yikes ... that would be even worse. They head straight to Place-St-Henri, then curve south, crossing the Lachine canal twice, along the Bonaventure, into downtown. But from St-Henri to Central Station, it's one big long tight 270 degree curve, that goes quite slowly - about 15 minutes. The old alignment kept going dead straight into Bonaventure Station - and would have been perfect.

The VIA Ottawa and Montreal trains stay on the CN tracks, which parrallel the CP tracks that the Dorion trains use from ... well from Dorion to east of Dorval, where the CP pulls north and stays on top of the escarpment, while the CN goes south, through the old Turcot yards towards St-Henri.

Last edited:
It is good to see this idea is getting more attention. They might be small steps but it does fuel my optimism that TGV service, or at least construction and planning of it, is closer than most people think. My own feeling is that this is going to be something that will just one day move forward at lightning speed. Really the issue is not whether it would be viable, because lots of studies have shown that it would be and the experience of networks around the world speaks for itself. It is primarily a matter of money. Once a set of governments makes that commitment, things will start to move at a very fast pace.

Speaking of commitments, is the California HSR still on? What with the impending financiapocalypse an all.

I'm going to repost this from one of my posts on another forum to see if I can get some more feedback:

I've created a Google Map showing where high speed rail should go from Toronto to London.

The ideal solution would be to run electric trains capable of operating at an average top speed of 300km/h. Existing rail corridors can be used as long as they are straight, but they would need track upgrades. The ideal solution for a mixed rail corridor would be to have quadruple tracking along its entire length. Where the curves cannot be smoothed out due to terrain or population issues, the high speed line would need a right of way distinct from existing rail corridors.

I have included two high speed corridors in the Guelph area for illustration (and hopefully discussion) purposes only. Only one would be built. If quadruple track can not be punched through downtown Guelph for cost or congestion reasons, then a bypass would need to eventually be built. The land would be bought up and reserved for the bypass when congestion starts to severely affect timetables, although this may not be for another 50 years.

This map also includes new conventional rail corridors to connect Guelph and Waterloo Region with Hamilton and points east and a Brantford bypass for express trains from London to Hamilton.

Please note that not all high speed trains would not necessarily stop at all stations, but that these stations would be necessary to serve the population base.

Mappylink

The Kitchener-London alignment is excellent, being mostly straight, and with good curves; yet you want to try and do a short-cut, with absolutely no regard to land-use and terrain?

And a new Niagara Escarpment entrance at Fifth Line??

Tell me your kidding!

Apart from the Nith river, there is very little terrain wise to worry about, and as for land use, there is also very little settlement within this area, being mosly farmland. This alignment may change slightly but it would probably not increase in length by more than 2km.

As for the Guelph-Hamilton line, any further west and you'd have to deal with connecting on the escarpment in Dundas or with extensive viaduct work. any further east, you'd have to deal with crossing Highway 6 and established settlement.

Its my opinion that we would eventually need to see a dedicated passenger rail line between Hamilton and Kitchener. If passenger rail begins to take off in Ontario, which with investment in infrastructure, it will, you'll see demand grow for a direct connection.

New Raillines

While I very much support more rail infrastructure, and am saddened by how much of it was wrongly abandoned in the past.....

I am not persuaded that you (or any of us) are going to see the Ontario gov't on building a few dozen km of new ROW, nor are CP or CN likely to do so for free.

I agree Kitchener to Hamilton is am important missing link in the rail network.

But into the foreseeable future I can't imagine passenger service in such a corridor more frequent than a few trains per day.

So I think, regrettably, it may be more appropriate to think about finishing up or upgrading some existing lines that make that connection; even if a in a bit more of a round-about way.

I think using the line to Guelph and then using a connection to the GO Kitchener corridor may be a more sensible choice.

OR building a smaller line linking Brantford to Cambridge where you have exiting lines at both ends, making for a much smaller amount of new track/row that would be required.

On the subject of other areas in the corridor being upgraded for HSR. I don't think new corridors are likely to fly in the near term. The focus should be on full CTC (Computer control signals) and on needed grade separations and sidings or double-tracks.

This will set the stage for a future battle for full HSR once we have larger ridership figures and faster service in place.

Very thorough.

While I very much support more rail infrastructure, and am saddened by how much of it was wrongly abandoned in the past.....

I am not persuaded that you (or any of us) are going to see the Ontario gov't on building a few dozen km of new ROW, nor are CP or CN likely to do so for free.

Unfortunately I share your pessimism. With the current federal government, I don't see much happening for rail (except maybe more parking spaces). The shift in thinking required is not something Harper is capable of. Give it 6 months to a year..

I agree Kitchener to Hamilton is am important missing link in the rail network.

But into the foreseeable future I can't imagine passenger service in such a corridor more frequent than a few trains per day.

True say. Any new line connecting Waterloo-Wellington to Hamilton would be at least 20 years off. In the interim however, Highway safety (not necessarily speed) on highway 6 needs to be greatly improved to allow coaches to continue using this route.

As a side note, with the GO Kitchener line and subsequent upgrades, VIA expects to improve service by adding 3 trains per direction per day.

So I think, regrettably, it may be more appropriate to think about finishing up or upgrading some existing lines that make that connection; even if a in a bit more of a round-about way.

I think using the line to Guelph and then using a connection to the GO Kitchener corridor may be a more sensible choice.

This line does not easily connect with the north mainline in Guelph. the north mainline overpasses this line when both cross the speed river. It also includes a numerous amount of bends which will prevent trains from operating at full speeds.

OR building a smaller line linking Brantford to Cambridge where you have exiting lines at both ends, making for a much smaller amount of new track/row that would be required.

Normally, I would agree with you, however a light rail line is set to have this corridor torn up to make room for its own trackage. even so, this line would be subject to the same type of speed restrictions as the other line, except that it would be running through populated areas.

Long ago, there was a line that ran from Galt (south Cambridge) to Brantford vi Paris, but this was decommissioned long ago and turned into a rail-trail.

This is why I think bus lanes on the 401 and improving safety on 6 would be the best temporary measure. for intercity travel between Kitchener and Guelph.

On the subject of other areas in the corridor being upgraded for HSR. I don't think new corridors are likely to fly in the near term. The focus should be on full CTC (Computer control signals) and on needed grade separations and sidings or double-tracks.

This will set the stage for a future battle for full HSR once we have larger ridership figures and faster service in place.

Well put, my sentiments exactly. Incremental improvements are needed to keep the possibility of high speed rail feasible in the future. Toronto to Hamilton is a very easy case to make, and in my opinion, will be one of the first designated high speed corridors on the corridor (along with Toronto-Kingston and the Montreal area).

Anything beyond Hamilton will depend on the United States and Canada's streamlining of border controls and initiatives in the US for improved service on the Empire corridor.

fingers crossed

I have always been curious about how much it would cost to upgrade the current Lakeshore alignment. There's a lot of bends in those rail through empty farmland that could be taken out. It would help both passenger and freight rail traffic. Perhaps that HSR might not hit 300 kph...but maybe we can at least get to something like 200+ kph and serve a few more stops on the way. As long as downtown-downtown trips for Ottawa and Montreal stay within 3 hrs rail will easily win out with air.

Normally, I would agree with you, however a light rail line is set to have this corridor torn up to make room for its own trackage. even so, this line would be subject to the same type of speed restrictions as the other line, except that it would be running through populated areas.

It's still going to be there after light rail is built; Toyota relies on the line from its plant to the CP main line in Galt to ship its cars. Light rail is only going to run alongside a couple of stretches of the heavy-rail line, and follow roads for the rest of the way (under the preferred alignment, at least).

High speed rail can't run through there anyway because the line is too narrow and has too many bottlenecks that can't be eliminated (heavy development and a big park for starters). Brantford-Cambridge itself is possible because the land between the two is wide open. It's Kitchener-Cambridge that's too tight.

The Ontario-Quebec Economic Renewal (HSR)Study is Posted

Big News over at High Speed Rail Canada - http://highspeedrail.ca and http://grandevitesse.ca site.

1.We are very very happy to have a copy of the University of Toronto, Rotham School of Management Study - Infrastructure and the Economy: Future Directions for Ontario Report - February 2009 posted on the front page of our site. http://highspeedrail.ca This is the study that suggests more high speed lines in Ontario. This is the study the Toronto Star did a story about December 20, 2008. Enjoy reading it.

2. Finally I have started loading MP3 audio recordings from the Kitchener HSR symposium. First up is key note speaker Hon. David Collenette. Just click on the audio link on the front page of the site.

3. Look forward to meeting everyone at the upcoming Toronto symposium. Date to be announced soon. Please join us its free. We hope to have 1000 members by December 2009.

thanks Paul Langan, Founder High Speed Rail Canada

Québec City-Windsor high-speed rail study - Contract awarded to update high-speed rail feasibility studies

QUEBEC CITY, Feb. 23 /CNW Telbec/ - The Governments of Québec, Ontario
and Canada today announced that a contract has been awarded to the EcoTrain
Consortium to update the feasibility studies for high-speed rail (HSR) in the
Québec City-Windsor corridor. The consortium is composed of the firms Dessau,
MMM Group (formerly Marshall Macklin Monaghan Limited), KPMG, Wilbur Smith &
Associates and Deutsche Bahn International (DB International).
The $3-million study will be funded equally by each government. The study
will focus on the following areas, in particular:

<<
- HSR technology and route options;
- transportation demand forecasts;
- development and operating costs;
- environmental and social impacts;
- financial and economic analyses;
- institutional framework of foreign HSR experiences;
- implementation scenarios;
- impacts on other transportation modes; and
- recommendations on the future action plan.
>>

This high-speed rail study will allow governments to better understand
the scope of this proposed project, such as the environment, the potential
level of demand and the financial implications. It will also update data and
information that was previously gathered during earlier studies.

For further information: Canada: Media Relations, Transport Canada,
(613) 993-0055; Ontario: Bob Nichols, Ontario Ministry of Transportation,
(416) 327-1158; Québec: Media Relations, Ministère des Transports du Québec,
Québec: (418) 644-4444; Montréal: (514) 873-5600; Toll free: 1-866-341-5724

In Jan 08 they said the study would be done in a year. Looks like it took more than a year just to figure out the scope and award the contract ... looks like some pretty good companies will be working on this though.

Last edited:

Back