News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

On track for yet another high-speed rail study

Federal government, Ontario and Quebec commission new report on link
Feb 25, 2009 04:30 AM

Robert Benzie
QUEEN'S PARK BUREAU CHIEF

All aboard – all over again.

It has been repeatedly studied for decades, but Ottawa, Queen's Park and the Quebec government are spending $3 million to probe the feasibility of a high-speed rail link between Quebec City and Windsor.

The three governments announced the EcoTrain Consortium – composed of Dessau, MMM, KPMG, Wilbur Smith & Associates, and Deutsche Bahn International – will study the proposed 1,200 kilometre line.

"We have jointly, the three of us, commissioned a report," Premier Dalton McGuinty told reporters yesterday. "I like it because it fights climate change, it fights traffic congestion, so it enhances our productivity levels, it creates jobs and it enhances our quality of life."

There have been at least 16 studies or attempts to study a proposed rail link since 1973.

The international consortium will look at route options; the high-speed trains available; transportation demand forecasts; and development, operating and land expropriation costs, among other issues. It will report back in one year.

McGuinty and Quebec Premier Jean Charest have been aggressively lobbying Prime Minister Stephen Harper to climb aboard their high-speed rail bandwagon.

"I continue to be a big fan of (a high-speed link). As does Jean Charest. The Prime Minister is not as much a fan on this score," the Ontario premier said, adding that such a project can't be undertaken without a major federal contribution.

McGuinty pointed to a recent report on Ontario's economic future prepared by Roger Martin, dean of the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto, and U.S. urban guru Richard Florida that urged such megaprojects.

"One of the things that the Martin-Florida report spoke to was the need to enhance our connectivity ... for purposes of growing the economy," said McGuinty. "So it does all those things, which is why I think it's a worthwhile project."

Conceding that other major feasibility studies have been done, Ontario Transportation Minister Jim Bradley said this one is needed "because the statistics and information that is there, available to the federal government and the two relevant provincial governments, is out of date."

A 1995 study done by the same three governments pegged the cost then at $18.3 billion. Even accounting just for inflation, that would have meant $23.9 billion today.

That earlier review concluded a system similar to France's 300 km/h TGV (train à grande vitesse) would draw passengers away from cars and airlines, slashing energy consumption related to intercity travel by 20 per cent and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Travelling at twice the speed of VIA Rail's current express trains, the TGV-style system would take just two hours and 18 minutes to travel from Union Station in Toronto to Montreal's Gare Centrale – down from four hours.

In Ottawa, federal Transport Minister John Baird stressed that such a venture would be a long-term public works project – well beyond the time frame of current recession-fighting measures.

"If there's any news that it could begin construction within the next two years, I'd certainly welcome any thoughts. That's a gigantic $20 billion or $30 billion project," Baird told the Commons. "I don't think it would be able to be ready in the next two years to provide important economic stimulus."

Ontario NDP Leader Howard Hampton blasted the federal Conservatives and provincial Liberals for delaying the inevitable.

"They're going to study it again? You don't need to study it again. The biggest issue is purchasing all of the land and purchasing some of the rail bed that belongs to CN or CP that you need to make this run," said Hampton.

"Everybody wants to study it because they think it will give them a good headline. We're long past the study stage. Where's the money to start doing it?"

Progressive Conservative MPP Frank Klees (Newmarket-Aurora) expressed concern that the high-speed rail link would be used to deflect attention from the less sexy transportation projects the provincial government has been ignoring.

"Before they start musing about that, they should get on with the priority projects that they've allowed to fall off the radar screen that affect what's going on in our day-to-day lives here," said Klees.

"Let's get on with fixing gridlock in the GTA, let's get on with all the projects like the extension of (Highway) 404, the 427, the 410, the Bradford Bypass. Let's get on with all of our border-crossing projects that seem to be going nowhere," he said.

"We've got a lot of projects that they should be preoccupying their time with and getting on with as opposed to dreaming about something else that is totally irrelevant to today's reality."

Progressive Conservative MPP Frank Klees (Newmarket-Aurora) expressed concern that the high-speed rail link would be used to deflect attention from the less sexy transportation projects the provincial government has been ignoring.

"Before they start musing about that, they should get on with the priority projects that they've allowed to fall off the radar screen that affect what's going on in our day-to-day lives here," said Klees.

"Let's get on with fixing gridlock in the GTA, let's get on with all the projects like the extension of (Highway) 404, the 427, the 410, the Bradford Bypass. Let's get on with all of our border-crossing projects that seem to be going nowhere," he said.

"We've got a lot of projects that they should be preoccupying their time with and getting on with as opposed to dreaming about something else that is totally irrelevant to today's reality."
The Conservative MPP is focusing on highways while everyone else is focusing on rail. Kind of shows who's out of touch.

The Conservative MPP is focusing on highways while everyone else is focusing on rail. Kind of shows who's out of touch.

Would expect something different from a MPP who represents Newmarket-Aurora? I don't think it has to do with his party affiliation in so much as the riding he represents.

The thought had occurred to me. But he didn't mention the as yet unfunded GO improvements proposed by Metrolinx. That would benefit Newmarket-Aurora just as much as any highway improvement, and would feed an HSR system a lot better. And his riding is nowhere near a border crossing.

The thought had occurred to me. But he didn't mention the as yet unfunded GO improvements proposed by Metrolinx. That would benefit Newmarket-Aurora just as much as any highway improvement, and would feed an HSR system a lot better. And his riding is nowhere near a border crossing.

Some of the manufacturers (few auto parts places) up in Aurora-Newmarket need the highways and the border crossings to do business. Hence, the push from their MPP.

Some of the manufacturers (few auto parts places) up in Aurora-Newmarket need the highways and the border crossings to do business. Hence, the push from their MPP.
Will those extensions really have much benefit for auto parts places though? I could see the usefulness of the Bradford Bypass, but I don't think extending the 404 to Lake Simcoe is going to do much for auto parts places...unless there's a big manufacturing sector in Keswick I don't know about. That project is more for cottagers and commuters than industry.

Point taken about the borders though. Still, his comments reflect the auto-centric point of view that his party has traditionally taken. We need only to look at the last time they were in power to see that.

Wired has a piece on the 8 billion in US Federal Stimulus going towards HSR.

Most of rail corridors proposed by the Department of Transportation are no-brainers. Expanding the north-south routes of the East Coast will create a rail network stretching from Portand, Maine, to New Orleans and Houston. The Southeast Corridor linking Raleigh and Charlotte, S.C., with Atlanta acknowledges the growing economic importance of that region, and expanding service in California and the Pacific Northwest is equally smart.

Many cities will benefit if all goes as planned, but Chicago will be the biggest winner. The Midwest High Speed Rail Association has long advocated a Chicago-centric high-speed rail network. The Windy City will be linked to most of the Midwest's population centers, including Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Milwaukee. It's a good idea, but comes at the expense of service for the Mountain Region and the Southwest. Why not a high speed train connecting Denver with Salt Lake City and Omaha? Or Albuquerque and Arizona?

highspeed.png

I can't help but feel most of this is completely ridiculous. I have no idea why you would run an HSR from Houston - New Orleans - Mobile, or just about anything in the South West for that matter, over the Acela Corridor. A line from New York to Buffalo? Please.

Whoaccio, think of it as a high speed line from Toronto to New York via Buffalo. :rolleyes:

Although I have to agree, a high speed line from Mobile to New Orleans seems a little farfeched. Also, there seriously needs to be a line connecting Cleveland to Pittsburgh.

Also keep in mind, that this map was published about 8 years ago.

Wired has a piece on the 8 billion in US Federal Stimulus going towards HSR.

highspeed.png

I can't help but feel most of this is completely ridiculous. I have no idea why you would run an HSR from Houston - New Orleans - Mobile, or just about anything in the South West for that matter, over the Acela Corridor. A line from New York to Buffalo? Please.

This strikes me a very important step to a high-speed link between New York City and Toronto. Now if only Canada could build a Toronto to Buffalo link.

Cleveland-Pittsbugh isn't the only gap in this map. A few others I can see:

Jacksonville-Orlando (they're so close--why not close it?)
Eugene-Sacramento (not close, but they might as well, even with only a 90 mph train)
Kansas City-Tulsa
Houston-San Antonio (if they're going to be connecting Texas to Little Rock, they might as well close these two gaps)

Buffalo-Cleveland might not be a bad idea either. It'll be a lot easier than extending high speed from Philly and Harrisburg to Pittsburgh (have their designers driven through Pennsylvania lately?!)

It is pretty encouraging to see that McGuinty and Charest are still pushing this idea a few years later and getting more vocal and supportive of it. And the fact that Ontario and Quebec would most likely be willing to take on some of the costs themselves makes the project less costly for the feds and gives it a much better chance of getting the political and financial support it needs. I am starting to get a bit of quiet optimism that HSR service in the corridor is not too far off anymore.

Edit: The article also made think of the fact that if the governments ever wanted some quick and effective make work programs that could be started almost right away electrification of rail lines could be a good one to push for.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Ontario and Quebec just don't launch the project on their own. The feds would be shamed in to contributing quite quickly if the project looked viable and they knew that their names were not going to be on it.

Back