News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The "Highway 7" route could easily be linked up to the 407 corridor east of Toronto. This wouldn't take the train downtown, but it would take it past a connection with the TTC subway at Vaughan City Centre

Any Montreal to Toronto highspeed train must go to Toronto, not Vaughan.

Can you imagine the reaction to a press release that the Conservative government is funding a Montreal to Windsor highspeed train that will not stop in Toronto?

Of course for maximum effect, you could have it go to Mirabel.

To be fair, neither does Kingston. The population density surrounding both cities is pretty much the same. While Kingston is larger, Peterborough is surrounded mainly by farmland while Kingston has a lot more Canadian Shield nearby. Kingston being a good stop for HSR has more to do with location than population - it's halfway between Montreal and Toronto. For Peterborough, it's close enough to Toronto to make conventional rail ideal (with upgraded tracks from what currently exist of course).

I was referring to Napanee, Gananoque, etc. I would think that if you were to draw a 50km radius around Kingston that there would be far more potential customers than Peterborough.

Other than that you are right. We need that halfway stop to connect with VIA regular services for those travelling to destinations other than Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal.

Here ya go!
Hmm, interesting. I don't see anything in the third link (from the Star) but the one from the Niagara Falls Review says "In Chatham, he talked about the need for high-speed rail service in the Windsor-Quebec corridor.".

Though it appears it's also mentioned in his new book - http://www.canada.com/Ignatieff+latest+book+cites+deep+maternal+roots/1507498/story.html

Given the man will likely be PM before the year is out at this rate, this might be interesting!

I was referring to Napanee, Gananoque, etc. I would think that if you were to draw a 50km radius around Kingston that there would be far more potential customers than Peterborough.

Other than that you are right. We need that halfway stop to connect with VIA regular services for those travelling to destinations other than Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal.
I wouldn't be so sure. That 50 km radius around Kingston would be pretty much limited to those two towns. Do the same thing with Peterborough and there's Lindsay, Port Hope, Port Perry, Cobourg, and Bowmanville, all of which are the same size or bigger than Gananoque and Napanee.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure. That 50 km radius around Kingston would be pretty much limited to those two towns. Do the same thing with Peterborough and there's Lindsay, Port Hope, Port Perry, Cobourg, and Bowmanville, all of which are the same size or bigger than Gananoque and Napanee.
One way to look at it is what is the current bus demand. How many buses per day between Kingston and Toronto; Kingston and Ottawal; and Kingston and Montreal. How many buses per day betweek Peterborough and Toronto, Peterborough and Kingston, and Peterborough and Montreal? I don't know the answers to these (though have spent a bit of time at the old Voyageur terminal in Kingston watching the buses come and go).

One way to look at it is what is the current bus demand. How many buses per day between Kingston and Toronto; Kingston and Ottawal; and Kingston and Montreal. How many buses per day betweek Peterborough and Toronto, Peterborough and Kingston, and Peterborough and Montreal? I don't know the answers to these (though have spent a bit of time at the old Voyageur terminal in Kingston watching the buses come and go).
For Greyhound trips from Toronto, there are 12 per day to Peterborough and 4 per day to Kingston. But that doesn't tell the whole story because Kingston is served by rail - 10 trains every day.

Now I'm not arguing that there's more demand for HSR in Peterborough than Kingston. There's not. I'm just saying the reason for that is geography, not population.

I think a more fair estimate would be how many flights to those destinations since HSR would be highly comparable to air transportation. that is for Montreal and Ottawa ofcourse not Peterborough or kingston

So what are the contemporary estimates for the cost of HSR? For simplicity, lets say a routing of Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal and "HSR" means a route which allows consistent speeds in excess of 300 km/h. How would HSR manage snow? Would the route have to be plowed every time there is a significant downpour?

So what are the contemporary estimates for the cost of HSR? For simplicity, lets say a routing of Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal and "HSR" means a route which allows consistent speeds in excess of 300 km/h. How would HSR manage snow? Would the route have to be plowed every time there is a significant downpour?

well they're planning on putting one through Siberia all the way from Korea, and they have one in London, where it snows btw, and it snows in Paris as well, obviously not as much as here, but i'm sure they have methods for getting rid of the snow, and if snow was such a big concern i'm pretty sure it would affect trains that go 120 -150 km/h, i'm pretty sure they could do something, if anything I imagine the weight of the train alone on the tracks would do the job....that's what i think

well they're planning on putting one through Siberia all the way from Korea, and they have one in London, where it snows btw, and it snows in Paris as well, obviously not as much as here, but i'm sure they have methods for getting rid of the snow, and if snow was such a big concern i'm pretty sure it would affect trains that go 120 -150 km/h, i'm pretty sure they could do something, if anything I imagine the weight of the train alone on the tracks would do the job....that's what i think [emphasis added]

What?!?! Siberia? Are they serious?

From what I've read the one through Siberia would basically be Japanese Shinkansen trains using the Trans-Siberian line. That means existing tracks. But Japan is extending the Shinkansen to Sapporo, a city that gets literally 3 times more snow than Montreal. Canadian winters should be no sweat.

Back