News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I also think you're assuming too much when you say that people don't come to Toronto to admire the skyscrapers. It's Torontonians who appreciate the neighbourhoods, but I can guarantee you that it was the tall buildings and the CN Tower that I came to see. It's also one of the reasons I chose to move here. Chicago and New York may be more famous for their skyscrapers, but to a Brit it didn't matter to me.

I think it's important here to note your context/perspective as a British person coming to Toronto because I can see that somebody from that context may not necessarily appreciate or understand the uniquess of Toronto's thriving, urban inner-city neighbourhoods in the same way that somebody from a North American context would as this is an urban pattern far more common in Europe than here, and I can also understand why those skyscrapers would make the sort of impression on you that they did as they were once far more common here than across the pond. They make an impression on me too, by the way, and I'm as happy as anybody else to see exciting grand buildings rise on the skyline (well probably not quite as happy but you know what I mean).

Yearning for Manhattan style canyons and density seems unrealistic to me given that Manhattan is an island with truly limited land to start with, and was largely built in a different era under a differing political system resulting fromt he growth and expansion of an American capitalist empire. The contexts are so different. This doesn't preclude highrises in Toronto in any way but we must embrace our context here and be true to it rather than looking too closely elsewhere. Some parts of the city do feel Manhattan-like, or probably Chicago-like to be more accurate, which probably makes sense when even Manhattan 'lowrise' feels more dense and highrise than Toronto's typical two-storey main streets and detached urban residential homes.

4 March 2009 photo update

crane is coming down today, 10 minutes ago was at this stage:

dsc00016n.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the day it was New York, Toronto & Chicago....

And that was it....skyscrapers didn't really happen anywhere else to the same extent that they happened in these 3 cities...at least going back to the 50's,60's & 70's

Toronto had the tallest buildings in the world outside of New York & Chicago, and then Asia went ballastic!!

^ Sure skyscrapers were "happening" in Toronto back then, but not in the same calibre as Chicago or New York (New York was in a class of its own).

Before Toronto's skyscraper boom in the 1960s, other cities had skylines that were a lot better than Toronto. One example... Detroit.

6.jpg

thanks for the pics.

oh how i do love king and queen. what a couple. i know this is going to be laughed at, but does anyone else find the wooden telephone poles charming? i mean, at least they harken back to another era; another aesthetic. i don't like the concrete reincarnations. of course, if they were replaced with yorkville-esque poles, i might reconsider.

thanks for the pics.

oh how i do love king and queen. what a couple. i know this is going to be laughed at, but does anyone else find the wooden telephone poles charming? i mean, at least they harken back to another era; another aesthetic. i don't like the concrete reincarnations. of course, if they were replaced with yorkville-esque poles, i might reconsider.

Along with overhead streetcar wires, they really do add character to an area.

Construction Update from rebcentre.ca:

Construction continues on schedule. Installation of access flooring in the typical office floor areas will proceed up the building on levels 25, 26, 27 and 28 in the tower area. All construction work on levels 11 and 12 in the Tower will be complete. Ground floor lobby stone flooring and ceiling work will continue. Missing curtain wall pieces at construction hoist will be installed. Roofing installation at the 43rd level will continue. Podium roofing will be completed. Hard landscaping work will commence behind the street fencing. The Ritz Carlton will form, install rebar and pour concrete for floors 22, 23, 24 and 25. The Building envelope will be completed up to the 14th floor and glazing will be installed from Levels 2 to Level 5.

Construction_Image1-20090227.jpg

Construction_Image2-20090227.jpg

I love Wellington now!

The feeling, with all of these buildings so close to the road, is very urban very city very dense....the wall o'buildings is a huge contrast to what Wellington used to be.....20 years ago it was my "quick route" west out of downtown 'cause it was so desolate and empty from, say, west of Simcoe.....now I have lost my quick route but gained a great looking street....besides, if the only good thing you can say about a city is that there are quick routes out of it...that is hardly a good thing ;)

I hope they go over the building with a fine-tooth comb because there are quite a few defective windows and missing little pieces. Thanks for the pics and update.

Back