News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Every city needs a grassy knoll.

That's getting made over when the Walk O'Fame moves in I believe.

And RTH's parking lot? If I were on their Board, and had a say in developing it, I'd invite Erickson to design a condo for that site. I don't think he'd accept as he's likely still pissed-off with the Board for KPMBing his hall interior, but just the same, I'd ask.

"Isn't one of the parks at Avenue & St. Clair named for him? The one with the Peter Pan statue?"

Yeh- that's Glenn Gould park on the NW corner of AVEnue and St. Clair. I think he was born in the neighbourhood. Soon to be overshadowed by a big faux- historic condo building going up across the street.

Adding to the streetwall.

1572586371_cb95ffa4c9_b.jpg

"Isn't one of the parks at Avenue & St. Clair named for him? The one with the Peter Pan statue?"

Yeh- that's Glenn Gould park on the NW corner of AVEnue and St. Clair. I think he was born in the neighbourhood. Soon to be overshadowed by a big faux- historic condo building going up across the street.

He lived on St. Clair, in one of those nice deco apartments between Yonge and Avenue. There used to be a plaque in front of it.

Love Andrew's pic looking west along Wellington... indeed we can visualize how the streetwall will be filled in at that point. Its nice to see these empty spaces filled in, though as a lot of people point out on this forum, the overall result is often lacking in continuity and has an awkward, unplanned feel to it.

Both Wellington and Front all the way over to Spadina has always irked me for these reasons. The current mix of stylish mid-rise hotels, crumbling old buildings and empty dirt lots is extremely unattractive. Clarence Square could be a real gem eventually as nearby lots are filled in. I think another pre-requisite for that would be some extra height on the west side of Spadina... gas station be gone! Really hope Front and Wellington will get some fresh pavement too once these blocks are filled up!

^I agree, and I love Clarence Square too (if only it were finished off, as you say).

A peevish point perhaps, but I also wish the emerging streetwalls in the area were a little less 'glassy'. My excitement about RBC, Ritz and BA has always been somewhat dampened because of the ongoing pervasiveness of glass facades. Any one of these buildings on its own is quite striking, no doubt. It is just that when you put so many together in proximity they seem to kind of nullify each other. It's all contextual, I guess. Still, a minor point and I'm happy to see the highrise core expanding outwards.

The old trainyard, now a dirt parking lot, won't be around for too much longer but I don't see the gas station closing anytime soon with only two Petro Canada's left in downtown Toronto

I look down on Clarence Square, so I definitely see it all the time. It's quite a great space, and I just love the effect of the townhouses lining the north side. Unfortunately, they're all offices so they don't put eyes on the street at night, which would be valuable for such a park. I'd love to see the rest of the square lined with more modern townhomes. It could be a really unique and distinctive space.

Unfortunately the park is rarely used by anyone but dog walkers.

Back