News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

gee, I remember as if it was yesterday Simoce Place being a big hole in the ground... now a whole bunch of offices in that podium are just about to lose their view! Thats one thing Ive always wondered about when towers are built so close together as this, shouldnt there be some thought (and space) given to how the new will interact with the old? Not sure if that south wall of RBC is meant to be windows or a blank wall, but at the very least someone is left staring at a blank wall or perhaps worse, there is some extremely close range voyeurism going on. Another example of this thats about to happen is The Dominion Club butting up against the back side of Trump... I dont know why they just didnt incorporate it into the design?

Thats the National Club, not the Dominion Club. Up until a decade or so ago, it was beside the old Woolworths building. You'll notice that there are few window on the side of the National Club. In any event, there will be a driveway between it and Trump Tower, so the two buildings do not abut.

Good buildings take their surroundings into account. Lousy buildings don't. Thing is, the devil is in the details, and the renderings that we've seen so far don't really answer these questions in either of those cases.

My favourite example of this is the way the Met has gentle, almost unnoticeable setbacks that line up with the roofs of the otherwise unremarkable buildings beside it.

Communiqué # 13 Weeks of November 1 to November 30, 2007

Over the next few weeks the construction activities that will take place around the development of the RBC Centre and the Ritz-Carlton are as follows:

o The self-climbing core forming system, for the Tower elevator core, and pouring of the concrete for these walls, will continue upwards ahead of the concrete floor slabs. The core formwork is two floors above the floor slab that is being formed.

o Concrete slabs will be poured for floor levels 8, 9, 10 and 11 in the tower area.

o Pouring of concrete slab on in the podium area will be completed up to the ground floor level by the end of November.

o The masonry subcontractor will continue with installation of concrete block walls in the parking levels.

o The temporary man and materials hoist on the south-west side of the tower will be in operation.

o The window subcontractor will commence the ground floor glass installation in the tower area early November, and start the curtainwall installation on the second floor of the tower on the south side towards the end of the month.

o The Ritz-Carlton hoarding and line painting along Wellington Street is now complete.

o Forming and pouring of the Ritz-Carlton parking level P2 slab will continue.

o Forming and pouring of the columns and walls will commence on parking levels P3 to P2

o Waterproofing on the Ritz-Carlton parking levels P3 to P2 will continue during the month of November.

Thanks Billy, I'm looking forward to seeing the how the curtain wall will look, and how it will interact with Simcoe Place.

The window subcontractor will commence the ground floor glass installation in the tower area early November, and start the curtainwall installation on the second floor of the tower on the south side towards the end of the month.

Oooh!

Glass installation already? Seems so early! It doesn't even remotely look like a building yet lol.

Well the core is almost 25% of the way up at this point.

RBCCentre-Nov5,07(1).jpg

Oh I didn't realize the outer part (what is the technical name for this part of a building?) was that far along already. The last update we had didn't look like actual floors yet. Or maybe that's because I was only seeing the Western side of the building.
Makes more sense now, still though, it does seem a bit early. I would have thought maybe in a month or so.

The most exciting part of this project will come in the next few months, I think: watching the long podium building (and the Ritz) rise out of the ground, and give that road a street-wall definition for the first time in decades, if ever.

Wellington is becoming a very cool street west of University.

Back