News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That .gif only spans 11 years.

No, it HAS to be close to 20 years. I started working at 180 University (immediately north of the Shangri-La site) in 1988, and at that time the areas to the south and east of it looked much like the first image in the gif. The first building I saw rising was the Holiday Inn monstrosity, starting in 1989 or 1990. (If you think it looks bad now, it looked even worse during the later stages of construction. It used a hideous green insulation, which made it stick out like a sore thimb -- a diseased, gangrenous thumb, in fact!) The CBC building rose in about the same timeframe, so I'm guessing that the first image above was taken about 1990, plus or minus a year.

After them came Metro City Hall, which was completed sometime before 1994, when my workplace moved into it. Simcoe Place was a bit later. I think it was completed in 1996 or 1997, just before my workplace moved out of downtown.

So that first picture is close to 20 years old.

No, it HAS to be close to 20 years. I started working at 180 University (immediately north of the Shangri-La site) in 1988, and at that time the areas to the south and east of it looked much like the first image in the gif. The first building I saw rising was the Holiday Inn monstrosity, starting in 1989 or 1990. (If you think it looks bad now, it looked even worse during the later stages of construction. It used a hideous green insulation, which made it stick out like a sore thimb -- a diseased, gangrenous thumb, in fact!) The CBC building rose in about the same timeframe, so I'm guessing that the first image above was taken about 1990, plus or minus a year.

After them came Metro City Hall, which was completed sometime before 1994, when my workplace moved into it. Simcoe Place was a bit later. I think it was completed in 1996 or 1997, just before my workplace moved out of downtown.

So that first picture is close to 20 years old.

Yes, the first picture is indeed almost 20 years old (18 to be exact), but keep in mind that the second picture is 7 years old.

Therefore the time span of that .gif is only 11 years.

RBC From Above:

2479214782_830cbc9ae1_b.jpg

2479213794_d154d7a9af_b.jpg

Excellent images! It's amazing that almost every single large building in those pics were recent additions to Toronto's downtown.

Scrolling slowly down in that first pic, I almost didn't recognize the city! Amazing. Thanks for the pics.

And off in the distance, Ontario Place, begging to be more than it is...

Nice picture. That alone could easily be the skyline of a mid-sized city.

Though it is strange and disorientating to see an angle that includes the Royal York but neither the TD Centre or Royal Bank Plaza.

A skyline of a what-kind-of-city???

Oh yeah, from OCAD today, I started to realize the appeal of living in a condo downtown....

DSC03785.jpg

There should be a condo built next to OCAD--best 360 view of Toronto, I think. I could see Mississauga clearly==looks pretty impressive.:)

Back