News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It's maintained by Hamilton (and before, by Hamilton-Wentworth - the signs have the old H-W logo), but I think it was built with MTO assistance and to MTO specs. The "Linc" is a great nickname for that highway.

I think they will be called two different names. BTW, the new "green" name is Red Hill Valley Parkway!

It's maintained by Hamilton (and before, by Hamilton-Wentworth - the signs have the old H-W logo), but I think it was built with MTO assistance and to MTO specs. The "Linc" is a great nickname for that highway.

I think they will be called two different names. BTW, the new "green" name is Red Hill Valley Parkway!

Yeah, I have the impression the Linc is like the DVP, a municipal road. I think the RHC will be as well.

The Linc and the Red Hill are both municipal roads.
For the price of the Red Hill Expressway, Hamilton could have had light rail through the lower city. The new highway will have an economic impact, how much is unknown. The "aerotropolis" is up in the air at the moment since there is a lot of opposition to it as well.

True. I get the impression that Fred Eisenberger is a better mayor than Larry Di Ianni (who really pushed the Red Hill project), but so far Hamilton's answer to better bus service is a few new artics (they look nice, at least!) and midday service on the 10 Beeline. And it's "BRT" (which I would see as merely an upgrading of the Beeline) not LRT for now.

The Red Hill project consumed so much from the rest of the civic budget, that almost everything else suffered, especially the HSR, which has been stuck in neutral for several years while demand increases.

Eisenberger supports using the forthcoming wad of transit funding for LRT, but it'll probably end up being BRT because of the small minded suburban city councilors. Too many people in Hamilton are against anything that will enhance the old lower city. The prevailing opinion is that it should be blown up. DiIanni would agree with that.

DiIanni was vice principal at my high school. He was a complete wanker. He became principal the year after I graduated, and was a complete knob when I came back for my commencement. I couldn't believe when he got elected as mayor.

Completely off topic, but I felt I had to share in the DiIanni bashing.

That's quite interesting Greg, I hadn't realized that's what he had done before. I wonder if he's returned to teaching, now that he's thankfully been turfed from City Hall?

He's running for the federal Liberals in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek. (Where the NDP knocked out Tony Valeri last time.)

Eisenberger's a conservative, DiIanni's a Liberal, though Esienberger seems to be more "progressive" (ie downtown, transit) than that convicted twit (who pled guilty to several offenses under the Elections Act). Seems a bit odd, but not without precedent.

If the NDP can knock out blowfish Valeri, I can't see DiIanni having that great a chance. What's blowfish up to anyway?

It's hard to believe some as corrupt as DiIanni was a school principal. A while back the Spectator reported that other candidates for the Liberal nomination in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek thought the nomination process was rigged in DiIanni's favour.

Eisenberger's a conservative, DiIanni's a Liberal, though Esienberger seems to be more "progressive" (ie downtown, transit) than that convicted twit (who pled guilty to several offenses under the Elections Act). Seems a bit odd, but not without precedent.

If the NDP can knock out blowfish Valeri, I can't see DiIanni having that great a chance. What's blowfish up to anyway?

Honestly, Sean, some of them might be bad but what's with the hatred of every single Italian-Canadian politician?

Edit - Thank you.

(I go on to express my disappointment in the above post, and get a little too defensive)

You know what, forget about it. Just please acknowledge that my impressions and opinions of politicans are based on their politics and personalities, not their ethnicity.

I'm sorry, I was unfair and acted out of frustration. I have absolutely no doubt that your likes and dislikes are entirely based on politics.

I also didn't mean to single you out or anything like that. I was wrong and I take it back. I just mean that there is a certain hostility in the media and other environments to Italian-Canadian politicians, though. It may be entirely because of their individual politics and purely coincidental, but it does seem amazing that there is such a widespread antipathy to such a vast number of Italian-Canadian politicians, whatever their individual characteristics. Just in Ontario, among them are Valeri, Ianno, Chiarelli, DiIanni, Sorbara, Volpe, Del Grande, the Nunziatas, Mammoliti, Pantalone, Fantino, Racco, Fontana, DiBiase, and Pupatello who all have vociferous booing squads. Some of them are obviously pretty dubious, but others I just don't get the singling out for opprobium. I just get this feeling that the media wouldn't like a guy like George Smitherman as much if he were Italian.

Back