News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Interesting insights. Will this operate exclusively inter-municipally, i.e. between two or more municipalities?
Nope, and that's the exciting part for me! When it starts operations in early 2023, it will replace the municipal transit agencies in all member municipalities except for ETS (due to its sheer size). That means no more StAT Transit, Leduc Transit, etc. It'll also take over all of Edmonton Transit's regional service. In five or so years, EMTSC will revisit the issue of taking over ETS, and whether they want to do this or not. But even if they don't, we'll be down to three transit agencies in the region: the EMTSC (with a new operating name to be revealed), ETS, and Strathcona County Transit. Member municipalities will share the costs of regional service, but be solely on the hook for their municipal services. This will truly be *our* Translink!

Nope, and that's the exciting part for me! When it starts operations in early 2023, it will replace the municipal transit agencies in all member municipalities except for ETS (due to its sheer size). That means no more StAT Transit, Leduc Transit, etc. It'll also take over all of Edmonton Transit's regional service. In five or so years, EMTSC will revisit the issue of taking over ETS, and whether they want to do this or not. But even if they don't, we'll be down to three transit agencies in the region: the EMTSC (with a new operating name to be revealed), ETS, and Strathcona County Transit. Member municipalities will share the costs of regional service, but be solely on the hook for their municipal services. This will truly be *our* Translink!
Now if we can just keep the Strathcona Buses out of the downtown and University area by forcing them to use Capilano and Bonnie Doon to offload and pick up for use on the ETS System. Lets minimize the pollution caused and reduce traffic volumes.

Part of the reason for Strathcona County opting out of regional transit is higher costs for their part (I think it was around 26%).

^ It could also be debated that Strathcona County residents spend a lot of money in Edmonton. For example, going to an Oiler game at Rogers Place.

The problem is government-to-government, not person-to-person. Many Sherwood Park residents work in various parts of Metro Edmonton. I’m sure anybody riding transit would miss out on a direct connection to St. Albert or Beaumont.

One thing I found sad with Strathcona Transit was that they cut evening and weekend service on the 401 and 404 routes (from Ordze Transit Centre along Sherwood Park Freeway). When the Valley Line opens, I hope the 404 can offer night and weekend service, to connect with the LRT at Bonnie Doon.

Last edited:
Michael Janz is the new Mike Nickel

Coun. Michael Janz told Postmedia he voted against accepting the commission’s report to signal his discontent.

“I thought that I read enough, that it was time to hit the brakes on this,” he said Saturday. “I’m not convinced that this model is worth the cost or the effort, and that’s why I’d rather much see us continue to focus on making our ETS system the best.”

Back