News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Update on the detailed service/cost planning, for the board meeting on Thursday April 21 (here's the full meeting package):

"Since project engagement, the WSP Canada Inc. project team has refined communications protocols with member municipalities and finalized the scope of work reflecting input from stakeholders. Current state financial and operational data is being collected and analyzed to provide the basis for future recommendations. The project is proceeding as per the original schedule.

"Collection of updated cost and service data has started, and the preliminary analysis will be presented at the next Board meeting in May 2022.

"Optimization of fleet and service schedules will allow comparison of scenarios to be developed in consultation with member municipalities. Confirmation of recommended opening day service plan will occur in July 2022. Public Engagement planning is ongoing, and a finalized engagement plan will be presented at the next board meeting. Emphasis during public engagement will be on service planning principles and communicating the benefits of a regional approach."

Schedule.PNG

Project Scope.PNG

I'm very curious to hear what those colours mean, and why there are routes going to and throughout Sherwood Park (and who would pay for them).
EMTSC1.PNG
EMTSC2.PNG

Anyone else feel like me that the EMTSC is failing miserably at posting its minutes and meeting agendas in a timely manner? The agenda for next week's board meeting still isn't up.

I suppose it's still a small structure with most activity going on behind the scenes, but it's hard to build a feeling of momentum if you're not open and visible with your plans and direction.

Anyone else feel like me that the EMTSC is failing miserably at posting its minutes and meeting agendas in a timely manner? The agenda for next week's board meeting still isn't up.

I suppose it's still a small structure with most activity going on behind the scenes, but it's hard to build a feeling of momentum if you're not open and visible with your plans and direction.
It's up, and it appears that this will be their first hybrid board meeting.

Some interesting updates from yesterday's board meeting.

First, it looks like they picked an operating name and brand:
EMTSC6.png

Next, the service planning/financial analysis continues to be on track. Public engagement will start in June, with a mixture of online engagement, talking with riders on buses and in transit centres, and hosting focus groups with marginalized peoples (Indigenous Peoples and peoples of colour, LGBTQ+, disabled, etc.) through a GBA+ framework.
EMTSC1.PNG
EMTSC2.PNG
EMTSC3.PNG

^Under the 2023 column: The black font signifies objectives that are concrete parts of the planned rollout as of now, while the blue-green font signifies things that are ideal goals to strive for, but not absolutely necessary.
EMTSC4.PNG
EMTSC5.PNG

The EMTSC launched a new job posting today, for General Counsel. The submission deadline is June 24, 2022. Here's the posting document. In case you want to follow their progress, here is their planned timeline for onboarding senior level positions, which was released last December, compared to where they were at as of April 2022.

EMTSC8.png
EMTSC7.PNG

Out of the nine listed roles: One has been hired (Executive Assistant); one is now in the applications stage (General Counsel); two have been superseded by hirings for different positions (Manager of Financial Services and Communications Manager in lieu of Financial Analyst and Marketing Manager); and the other five have been delayed either because the organization is not yet large enough to warrant specialized roles (HR Manager and IT Manager roles are both being executed by the Director of Corporate Services until they get closer to service launch); or due to reasons unknown (Fleet & Facilities Manager, Bus Operations Manager, and Customer Service Manager all fall under the COO of Transit Operations, who was only hired in May after a long delay and contracting out of the hiring process. Perhaps they were waiting to fill these roles after they hired a Director to "set up" the department, or perhaps they are holding off on specialized ops roles until the EMTSC gets closer to launch, like what I mentioned for the previous two roles). Hiring on all fronts was further delayed by the slower-than-expected completion of hiring for the top roles (namely, the CEO and the Directors).

Easy peasy lemon squeasy! Very telling in terms of what direction they're thinking of and that's a good thing. My only major comment/concern besides a general sense of "all hands on deck/all of the above BRT" strategy is that every vehicle used needs to be from day one be hydrogen or electric. NO DIESEL BUSES EVER! To misquote/update an old Joan Crawford/Faye Dunaway line from Mommy Dearest! Or in this case, TRANSIT DEAREST! "I love you, transit dearest!"

Easy peasy lemon squeasy! Very telling in terms of what direction they're thinking of and that's a good thing. My only major comment/concern besides a general sense of "all hands on deck/all of the above BRT" strategy is that every vehicle used needs to be from day one be hydrogen or electric. NO DIESEL BUSES EVER! To misquote/update an old Joan Crawford/Faye Dunaway line from Mommy Dearest! Or in this case, TRANSIT DEAREST! "I love you, transit dearest!"
Clean buses would be absolutely lovely, and I think they should strive for that 100%. That being said, member municipalities will be negotiating transfers of some/all their rolling stock (Edmonton is only transferring what they use for regional services), so on day one the fuel types will depend on what transfers are negotiated. After that, I truly hope they don't purchase any diesels of their own.

Clean buses would be absolutely lovely, and I think they should strive for that 100%. That being said, member municipalities will be negotiating transfers of some/all their rolling stock (Edmonton is only transferring what they use for regional services), so on day one the fuel types will depend on what transfers are negotiated. After that, I truly hope they don't purchase any diesels of their own.
Then they can and should convert them. It's not like New Flyer doesn't have its own fleet renewal program. Oh wait... SMH...

Wow! It's almost like there's an entire existing industry to tap into? WOW! JUST WOW! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT???? And they're based in Milton, Ontario to boot. And this isn't even the program I'm thinking of... So yeah... The piss poor excuses for not doing the obvious are ______ again? Greed? Sloth? Ignorance? What other deadly sin can we throw into the mix fellas??? Or personal attacks if you're a certain other member of this forum that needs to be removed... Cough cough...Transit bus electric conversion and retrofit

Back