News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The lines at Tim Hortons always seem to be very long. But people who I know who drink coffee always rave about Starbucks. Personally I think the hot chocolate at Second Cup is better.

You want to see astounding lineups? Check out the Timmy's on the lower level of Union station during morning rush. It's a relatively recent addition there, and this morning the line was almost back to the Purdy's--probably 40-50 people there.

Any time I start to think about how much I loathe my current gig I pass by that Tim's and realize it could be so much worse. Its like the size of two phone booths behind the counter and there's six people working in it. The trauma they must go through in the course of a morning isn't worth 3x what they're getting paid.

A place called the Yogurt Spoon has opened up on Yonge north of Wellesley. It looks like they sell frozen yogurt by the ounce.

so true. i was astounded one morning. i was gonna take a photo of a line up of about 50 people with 5 employees behind that tiny counter. incredible.

Pasta, Pane & Vino is going into the base of Lumiere. Nice to see something that's not a mega chain opening up there.

Some stuff happening in Brampton.

Lone Star Texas grill opening in Morguard's 410/7 centre.......

new poutine place in town http://www.poutinedaretobefresh.ca/

and a couple of coffee shops invading the downtown territory previously owned by Coffee Culture....first to open is http://www.greencuproastery.com/home.html and they will be joined soon by a relative newcomer to the market called Starbucks.

Downtown Brampton is getting a Starbucks? Wow.

Not sure if you are trying to be funny or not (and it does not matter)....what was really funny, though, was the amount of furor and press ink the announcement got a few weeks ago. The combination of the two new entrants and the existing Coffee Culture had headlines of "Coffee Wars" and editorials in the local paper. Quite amusing really.

I wasn't really trying to be funny. I spent much of my youth in Brampton and actually think a Starbucks is a sign of downtown finally turning a corner. Regardless, I'd probably support one of the independents (at least initially).

I wasn't really trying to be funny. I spent much of my youth in Brampton and actually think a Starbucks is a sign of downtown finally turning a corner. Regardless, I'd probably support one of the independents (at least initially).

I think it is more of a sign that the few new hi rises in the downtown mean there are enough residents in the area to support a Starbucks. With City Hall across the street and the Rose Theatre right there...they had enough daytime people and ocassional visitors but permanent residents mean more steady custom.

The Pilot Tavern on Cumberland received a makeover awhile back with the help of funds from the Facade Improvement Program.

pilot.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that: the corrugated-facade "Gehry vernacular" strikes again...

Back