News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's finally happening, Tim Horton's is coming to Parkdale. A local business owner told me they're going in just west of Lansdowne.

timsparkdale.jpg

It's already there, isn't it? (I thought I spotted it in that space that was burnt-out a few years ago...)

IMG-20110925-00740-1.jpg

Lee Chen Asian Diner is opening next to Big Smoke Burger on Yonge, north of Bloor soon. Any idea what kind of Asian restaurant this is? Another pan-Asian place or something different (hoping for a cha chaan teng to open outside of the Chinese malls or Chinatown, but somehow I doubt this is one of them).

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I was refering to. This is all I could find.

http://www.blogto.com/deadpool/2010/05/is_yung_sing_pastry_shop_going_deadpool/

Thanks! This article is dated May 2010, so it appears there's no new news. They're still listed in all the directories including the phone number. I'm tempted to call that number to see who owns it. I tried a google search and found an interesting blog from back in 2006 that explains some of the history from Linda Ko (owner's daughter). In particular, this quote from Linda:

“My parents are quite old, now. We’ve been doing this for thirty-seven years. They like to keep busy. In terms of the kids, we’re waiting to see if this is something for us or not. I see my parents hard at work, day and night.â€

So it doesn't look good in terms of re-opening as it looks like "the kids" are not interested in continuing (else the renos would've started with the kids running it by now) and the parents (Chu and Ngan Ko) with health issues will be in no condition to continue the business working "day and night" and should be well into retirement age by now.

The only hope at this point is one of the kids change their mind (unlikely) or the family sells the business. I would imagine the business (including the family recipes) is worth something. This bakery has a lot of memories for me as a kid back in the 70's and UofT days in the 80's. So unfortunate if this ends with a permanent closing. This is all speculation of course, so if anyone has any insight, please do chime in.

pearlbv.jpg

Pearl is opening up at Bayview Village, taking over Yen Ching's spot. Yen Ching had been at Bayview Village for as long as I could remember - and that mall and I go waaaaaaayyyy back (I grew up in the area and probably learned to walk there). Sad to see the place go. The food wasn't that great - especially after all the bigger and better Chinese places started to pop up. I think it's one of the last of the stores from the 70s to retain its original spot (albeit with several makeovers/renovations). Even Loblaws, Capelli and the LCBO (all of which were part of the mall for years and years) moved to different locations.

A Swiss Chalet will be opening in Dufferin Mall (separate from the food court)

Most likely going where Boston Pizza was on the east side of the mall, across from NO Frills. Real surprise Boston die after a short time there.

Good to see Susur back in town. And interesting to hear his sons will be in charge of the front of the house. I used to work with a guy who's good friends with one of the boys. Dundas West continuing to revitalize and grow as a dining/hipster hot spot.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2011/10/susur_and_sons_headed_to_dundas_west/

Susur and sons headed to Dundas West

Posted by Derek Flack / OCTOBER 5, 2011

Dundas West continues its growth as one of Toronto's go-to dining destination with news that a rather well known chef has decided to set up shop on the strip. Already home to the Black Hoof, Enoteca Sociale, Porchetta & Co., Campagnolo, and the now Jamie Kennedy-managed boutique grocery store, Provenance Regional Cuisine, Susur Lee just had to get in on the fun too. Well, Susur and the rest of his family. NOW Magazine's Stephen Davey reports that the celebrity chef has acquired the former Le Corner space at 777 Dundas West (near Markham) and along with his sons, will open a yet-to-be named restaurant in the new year.

The owners are still short on details, but according to Kai Bent-Lee, it will be aimed at a bit different clientele than what one sees at Susur's King West holdings. "My brother and I will be running the front of the house and my dad's in charge of the kitchen," he explained. "Lee is my parents' vision. The new restaurant is mine and my brother's. And it'll be aimed at a much younger crowd." As far as an opening date goes, early 2012 is the goal. So mark it down DishCrawl — Dundas West should be one of your next stops.

Last edited:
Rumour has it, that one of the first P.F. Changs that is planned for Canada will be opening up at the Shops at Don Mills early in 2012.

"The Momofuku in Toronto, at the base of the Shangri-La hotel, won’t be open until, at the earliest, the end of 2012"

Rumour has it, that one of the first P.F. Changs that is planned for Canada will be opening up at the Shops at Don Mills early in 2012.

Interesting to see a chain restaurant expanding here. I would have thought that somewhere around Yonge & Dundas would be a target entry spot, but they might not be able to find a suitable location. Another strategy is perhaps to deliberately get away from tourist areas to see how viable the brand is in the Canadian Market.

I have heard this place is legendary for it's food being unhealthy. Looking on their website, many dishes have more than 1500 milligrams of salt per serving. Moo Shoo Pork has 2305. That's insanely salty!
Comparing the nutrition info for Beef Broccoli to their competitor Panda Express', P.F. Changs has about quadruple the salt per serving.

Last edited:

Back