News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

This is near Jarvis & Dundas.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 1Z4

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 323789 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 9, 2011

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to existing restaurant on the ground floor and basement. 28 seats. New tenant - "Tim Hortans".

Another Tim Hortons? I hope that this one or the new one on Yonge will have a Cold Stone Creamery in it!

Ya, I passed by it yesterday and noticed as well. I'm happy about that, as I have yet to try Cold Stone. Definitely competition for Marble Slab just up the street.

Garlic Pepper, the "Chinese" restaurant on Yonge, near Wellesley is finally gone!

Paul Boehmer's Bohemian Gastropub on Queen & Portland has closed for retooling. This will be his third experiment in this location in as many years. I really don't think Bohemian Gastropub lived up to his vision, so good for him for starting over. I hope they maintain the really good list of local draft beers.

I think it's expected to reopen on the 16th of this month as a restaurant and cocktail bar.

Last edited:
Paul Boehmer's Bohemian Gastropub on Queen & Portland has closed for retooling. This will be his third experiment in this location in as many years. I really don't think Bohemian Gastropub lived up to his vision, so good for him for starting over. I hope they maintain the really good list of local draft beers.

I think it's expected to reopen on the 16th of this month as a restaurant and cocktail bar.

Was this the place that was one of those sophisticated burger joints in it's first incarnation?

The old Duggan's Brewery location on Victoria and Lombard is being renovated, again. According to the building permit, the customer is Cremore Brewery so one assumes THEY are opening there. I like their beer (actually, most beer) so that may be a good thing.

The Real Jerk Closing

According to this:
http://leslieviller.com/forum/topics/the-real-jerk-is-closing-down?xg_source=shorten_twitter

Building sold for condos..

owners looking for another location..

STAR ARTICLE:

The Real Jerk restaurant set to close after 28 years — temporarily, fans hope
http://www.thestar.com/news/article...ose-after-28-years-temporarily-fans-hope?bn=1

Over the past 28 years, their kitchen has filled the bellies of loyal hordes, Island-born and not.

Wesley Snipes was a regular. Jack Layton came on bike for the jerk pork. Michael Jackson, Serena Williams, and LL Cool J all ordered takeout.

But at the end of the month, The Real Jerk, a Caribbean-food institution since 1984, will close its doors — hopefully temporarily, staff say.

Ed and Lily Pottinger, the husband-and-wife team who own the Real Jerk, were given a month’s notice to vacate after their longtime landlords sold the building to a company called Buckingham Properties in late December.

“The way this came down really put a sour taste in our mouth,” Ed Pottinger said in a phone interview from Jamaica, where he was visiting family when he learned the news.

“It came as a shock,” says Natalie Williams, who has worked at the restaurant for 18 years.

Pottinger said they intend to reopen in a new location and will continue to run a catering service until they find the right spot.

The three storefronts east of The Real Jerk were also purchased by companies run by Bill Mandelbaum, president of Buckingham Properties, according to property records. Mandelbaum was not available for comment on Monday.

When Pottinger and his wife opened The Real Jerk 28 years ago, there were far fewer Caribbean restaurants in Toronto, and almost none of them were sit-down dining rooms.

More distressingly, Pottinger said, most Torontonians associated his homeland with drugs, crime, and the occasional sprinter.

“Jamaica is so much more than that,” he said.

“I wanted to represent Jamaica in as positive light as possible, and to spread my culture and food to a public that wasn’t fully aware of jerk yet.”

They first opened near Queen St. E. and Greenwood Ave. but moved to the present location, on the southeast corner of Queen St. E. and Broadview, in 1989. The iconic sunburst mural painted on the restaurant’s west wall was added in 1991 by an Australian woman, a fan of theirs who painted it for the cost of materials alone.

Williams said that the restaurant has received more than 200 emails from customers since news of the imminent closure began to leak out.

“We have customers who come in two, three times a week and order exactly the same thing,” she said on Monday beside a wall hung with dozens of “Best Of” awards.

Tyrone Eversley said he has been coming every week since the place opened.

“I try other places, but I always end up back here,” he said, sitting at the bar.

Karl Thomson, leaving the restaurant with a group of colleagues, said he was “gutted” to learn the news. “It’s so sad. We’re so sad,” he said.

Last edited:
Was this the place that was one of those sophisticated burger joints in it's first incarnation?
Yeah, it was formerly Oh Boy Burger.

The old Duggan's Brewery location on Victoria and Lombard is being renovated, again. According to the building permit, the customer is Cremore Brewery so one assumes THEY are opening there. I like their beer (actually, most beer) so that may be a good thing.
Creemore (Molson) will be brewing special batches there rather than their traditional beers that require pure spring water from Creemore, Ontario. I'm looking forward to it.

Foccacia on Hayden Street has closed their take-out shop. It's now (yet) another falafel/schwarma place. For some reason, the actual Foccacia sign is not down yet.

I was visiting a friend's condo (the ARC) at Bayview Village last week and noticed Sierra Grill was closed. I guess it closed in November of 2011 to make way for a "higher end" restaurant as reported in this article - http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do/Eat/November-2011/Sierra-Grill/ . I did enjoy the brunch there, but it seems it wasn't good enough for the 'image' of Bayview Village.

I wonder what kind of restaurant's going to go in there. Bayview Village already has Oliver and Bonacini, a burger place (South Street), Il Fornello, Pearl (has it opened yet?), a Japanese place and a few others. Maybe steak? Vegetarian?

I wonder what kind of restaurant's going to go in there. Bayview Village already has Oliver and Bonacini, a burger place (South Street), Il Fornello, Pearl (has it opened yet?), a Japanese place and a few others. Maybe steak? Vegetarian?

Yep, Pearl is open and was pretty busy. Laura Secord took over the spot that A&W use to be at. There is also a Thai Express. I too am curious as to what Orlando Corp. considers "high end".

I also noticed a few weeks back work is continuing at the former Lai Toh Heen restaurant on Mt. Pleasant. Amaya is launching a Food Bazaar concept restaurant at that location - http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drink/amaya-is-moving-into-lai-toh-heen-space…/ . Sweet Quality next door also bit the dust and work is continuing on converting that space into a Starbucks.

Last edited:

According to a Toronto Life story (that may have been posted here previously), they're not opening a full pub, but rather will have a small tasting lounge.
http://www.torontolife.com/daily/da...elated&utm_medium=plugin&utm_campaign=related

Back