News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm sure you raise some very valid issues, however no one is going to take you seriously if you write like that. Do they not teach proper english in Rexdale? I'm not even going to bother reading what you wrote because it takes too much effort. And if this is how you speak in real life I wouldn't be surprised if people ignored your complaints either. communication is key. Master that first and then move on to the bigger issues. Yesterday having been Martin Luther King day made me think... do you honestly think if he spoke the way you did anyone would have taken him seriously?

True, he does need some grammar lessons but I get the gist of what he's saying. This is what I've been saying all along, how the pluralist approach to academics leaves many ethnic groups behind. The fact that there's people in the GTA who've gone through the public high school system and still cannot construct proper sentences hints at the TDSB's shortcomings. Lack of proper articulation of ideas, limits social mobility.

i remember that couple months my moms brought paper home the TO metro. front page some actress breaking up. back pages train in congo flips in mountains killing 128. rebel attacks in india kill 150 today spread over the northwest and central regions. what more important to you?

week before jane creba was killed a innocent baby 4 years old was killed by strays and i think another 3 year old kids as hit by strays but luckily survived. Jane Creba killed next week big uproar. dif? Creba white 4 year old black 3 year old brown. we have to get past that bull all 3 were bad imo the babies getting was worse.

In spite of my prior statement, Desi, you're smarter than people here give you credit for. Before 9/11 I never thought racism could extend beyond whites-against-blacks. Now I see the diaspora of the disadvantaged- Natives/Blacks/Indo-Arabs and to an extent Latinos. Even within these communities a lighter-skinned child/spouse is favored over a darker one, explaining why so few black orphans get adopted. All this hate over melanin :rolleyes:. If Britney's bipolar meltdown takes presidence on a Cable News Network (CNN) over the New Hampshere Primaries, then that's to show where North American society's priorities lie. The 'me-generation' has no time nor pity for those who don't resemble them, act like them, talk like them, etc. This is why Obama should be elected but won't. It is alot easier for society to be rid of their ills through deceptive, calculative means (__ on __ violence/jail/chronic unemployemnt) than to actually change the lot of fellow citizens.

One generic suggestion: look past the agony and trauma, and learn about your community. The history of Rexdale. Heck, even the history of things such as Jamestown Crescent--and not even the litany of gang warfare; just the place as a work of architecture and urban planning. From an urban-awareness standpoint, you just might "bond" with the physical fact of your community in a way you'd never have imagined. To treat it as a place devoid of history or story is urban philistinism...

Hi Desi_Doubkle

my parents and I came here with a few dollars in our pockets from a communist european country, spoke not single word of engish , and worked blue collar jobs etc....

we did not get any welfare or government housing , we worked for everything we own , of course times we tough

we ( my sister and I )when to school , stayed away from drugs , gangs etc...., studied hard and now we are successful

i even worked full time while attending school to pay my way , i didn't even take any government loans for school

that how you make it in this country and not by blaming other people for your problems. Thinking the only way out is through the hip hop gangster life style is the wrong answer

when you apply for grad school , everyone is equal , they don't care if your from the hood ,rich area or the colour of your skin , as long as your marks are good

facts are facts , the crime rate is way higher in areas that contain government housing , sorry to say that , its not my opinion

so far we have not found any way to solve this issuse

My how quickly a thread can turn. :D

Here's my favorite upon reread. Sorry Jayo...

Seriously, maybe instead of hanging with your hommies on the corner attracting unwanted attention, go to the library and read a book. I was raised in a home with barely any money and a hard upbringing and that never stopped me. I went to school, hated it but found something I enjoyed doing and went with it.

Sorry but you'll never earn any respect from myself or others if you come up with false reasons for you being incompetent. You obviously have an internet connection so that doesn't stop you from learning any skill that can be valuable.

Kid's on a computer reaching out and you guys can't even offer decent conversation or education. You've just traumatized him and sent him into the arms of the gangster 'hommies' (sic - and another laugh). I myself 100% hated high school, English class, and the curriculum in general. I was having flashbacks reading the postings here.

Stick around Desi... this is suddenly much more interesting... :cool:

I could use anecdotes that'll augment the thread starters views, but here's what OCAP has to say:

The Metro Toronto Police 23 divison has a long history of violent and racist behaviour in the housing projects of North Etobicoke-charging kids with little to no evidence, brutal arrests, trumped up charges, slamming youth with baseless criminal records from an early age. Parents in protecting their children are hit as hard by the division.

In the last weeks, an increasing number of youth have been targeted and arrested by this division. One particular incident has shaken and angered families living in Mount Olive, a housing project at Finch and Kipling. In response to the arrest of a 14 year old boy at Mount Olive, organizer Amina Ali says,"The boys his age used to play basketball or go to the youth centre in Albion, but now at 7pm they have to go home. Because they're scared - maybe I'll be booked, maybe I'll be stopped. It traumatized the small kids under fifteen. What happened to Faizal did not happen to him alone. It happened to the whole community." Link
Those who actually think that fashion plays a role in racial profiling need to look around. Hip hop fashion is embraced by white kids found in middle or upper class neighbourhoods throughout Canada (yes, even Winnipeg!). In fact they drive the market and back in white America, producing that backward Minstrel-esque nonsense that's more common nowadays.

The excuse: uniform infraction is ridiculous. Many police brutality cases occur amongst individuals who dress in the "normal" Anglo-Saxon manner. In fact colour adults often assume that, and yet they're abused by racist cops. However, to be honest, I often see discussions like this going nowhere in portals that attract a more affluent population.

That being said, Desi, all I can say is that you need to tough it up. Yes, it's obviously not simple, but countless number have gone through this. Luckily I was able to avoid this situation and receive university education. Many, otoh, around me haven't unfortunately. Your aim should be to maximize your social standing by attaining an education.

It's true that Toronto schools are atrocious, but head to the library and educate yourself. Being able to study in an independent manner is an attribute successful students carry. I found reading texts on aircraft structural design, history, microeconomics, and what not pushing me further in classes. Nothing wrong learning about active electronically scanned arrays, MEMS (or an application: STAR for AESA), fabrication processes (i.e. doping), physiology, etc when you're not supposed to. :D

I'm sure ou raise some very valid issues, however no one is going to take you seriously if you write like that. Do they not teach proper english in Rexdale?
Living in low income communities such as Alexandra Park, one thing I did notice is the atrocious education system. It's not that the teachers were incapable. Well actually, many if not most (IMO) were, and seemed to have limited drive to motivate the largely immigrant kids.

From what I remembered, immigrant students who had educated parents often were able to overcome these obstacles. Usually this trait is present amongst Asian and many Eastern European students.

That said, teachers aren't just an issue but so is the education model. Students aren't Anglo-Saxon anymore. There is a reason why the same model is miserably failing amongst Aboriginals as well.

Education models ought to be modified to ensure that kids can become highly productive adults. It should also apply to the children as well. Many often come from very troubling families. Note: I don't think we can say "suck it up" unless we torture them. (to the conservative brass)

slickpete83: Eastern Boc nations did have a strong attribute: education. That's often not the case in nations like Afghanistan, Congo, Somalia, etc where education is pretty much nonexistent. Those parents who migrate here don't have educated backgrounds ala bloc counterparts.

It's obvious that TDSB has yet to take that into account and invested in methods that could motivate students from troubled families. Not all children come from a pro-education family.

the last hope for Rexdale is Woodbine Live,no other deep pocket investors will consider this a "prime location" for investment.

Except, maybe, your usual big-boxers. Unless even their fare is destined for Dr. Flea's destiny, or worse.

When I think of it, some of those well-meaning recentish office buildings (like the mirrored one at Rexdale and Queen's Plate) could just as well become decrepit ghost buildings within a decade...

the last hope for Rexdale is Woodbine Live,no other deep pocket investors will consider this a "prime location" for investment.

Why would an isolated, car-centred gambling hub that will employ a few dozen locals be Rexdale's "last hope"? I would think a red light district would do more good for the people of Rexdale than Woodbine Live.

If Woodbine Live is Rexdale's last hope, then I better tell my friends and family to move outta Rexdale.

In fact, I think the new Finch West LRT will be a boon to the area, but I think it should be matched with a north-south LRT in the Hwy 27 corridor that connects to the airport, Bloor Subway and WWLRT. Also, the government needs to expand programs like LAMP (from South Etobicoke) to Rexdale.

I passed by Albion and Finch a few months ago and was actually surprised at the degree of development. There are all the shopping options of any other area in the suburbs. All the big boxes, a new Canadian Tire etc. Also it has Humber College which has a nice campus/arbouritum.

Maybe it was just a very nice fall afternoon, but Rexdale looked perfectly pleasant to me. The suburban thing is not my ideal, but it looks nicer than most of North York or Scarborough IMO.

The housing and amenities don't look so bad. I don't know why the area has such problems.

Actually the whole swath of Indian stores at Islington and Albion is very busy and attracts a lot of Indians living in Brampton during the weekends.

That said, teachers aren't just an issue but so is the education model. Students aren't Anglo-Saxon anymore. There is a reason why the same model is miserably failing amongst Aboriginals as well.

Education models ought to be modified to ensure that kids can become highly productive adults. It should also apply to the children as well. Many often come from very troubling families. Note: I don't think we can say "suck it up" unless we torture them. (to the conservative brass).

Then explain to me why so many Chinese, Korean and South Asian parents are keen on sending their kids to historically WASPy private schools, whose education model (or at least traditions) are arguably MORE Anglo-Saxon than TDSB schools?

Then explain to me why so many Chinese, Korean and South Asian parents are keen on sending their kids to historically WASPy private schools, whose education model (or at least traditions) are arguably MORE Anglo-Saxon than TDSB schools?

Those parents must choose the schools for the perceived higher quality of teaching of the maths and sciences, and more individual attention. That in their mind would make up for WASPy traditions. But perhaps they also see discipline as a part of those traditions.

The public school environment is different, and as such a different approach must be taken to deliver quality education.

Those parents must choose the schools for the perceived higher quality of teaching of the maths and sciences, and more individual attention. That in their mind would make up for WASPy traditions. But perhaps they also see discipline as a part of those traditions.

The public school environment is different, and as such a different approach must be taken to deliver quality education.

Different because of the type of kids? Honestly, other than class sizes and certain traditions), public schools like Lawrence Park and North Toronto aren't too different from neighbouring private schools (though many of the area private schools are single sex).

Last edited:
The housing and amenities don't look so bad. I don't know why the area has such problems.

It's not that the buildings are run down, it;s that it lacks a human community. This is the problem throughout Etobikoke, Scarborough and North York. Big box plazas are designed with cars only in mind, thus making pedestrians feel small and forgotten. Without pedestrian traffic, criminals feel safer, as all potential witnesses are cooped up in their Honda Civics.

The solution? Shops up to the streetfront like in the Danforth, Yonge Eglinton and other parts of the 'inner' city. Sounds farfetched? It can be done with a simple zoning law, but council lacks the backbone to stand up to developers.

It's not that the buildings are run down, it;s that it lacks a human community. This is the problem throughout Etobikoke, Scarborough and North York. Big box plazas are designed with cars only in mind, thus making pedestrians feel small and forgotten. Without pedestrian traffic, criminals feel safer, as all potential witnesses are cooped up in their Honda Civics.

The solution? Shops up to the streetfront like in the Danforth, Yonge Eglinton and other parts of the 'inner' city. Sounds farfetched? It can be done with a simple zoning law, but council lacks the backbone to stand up to developers.

How do you explain Regent Park? Bloor/Landsdowne?

Back