News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's not that the buildings are run down, it;s that it lacks a human community. This is the problem throughout Etobikoke, Scarborough and North York. Big box plazas are designed with cars only in mind, thus making pedestrians feel small and forgotten.

Those aren't big box.

I don't live in the area, but often when I visit friends in north Rexdale, I find parking to be a problem. If I leave my car on the street, I get a ticket, if I park it in my friends driveway and hang over the side walk an inch or two, I get a ticket! Once I parked faceing the wrong way on the street, I got a ticket! I have friends all over the Toronto area and don't seem to have the same problems anywhrere else. Whats with Rexdale?:rolleyes:

Why would an isolated, car-centred gambling hub that will employ a few dozen locals be Rexdale's "last hope"? I would think a red light district would do more good for the people of Rexdale than Woodbine Live.

If Woodbine Live is Rexdale's last hope, then I better tell my friends and family to move outta Rexdale.

In fact, I think the new Finch West LRT will be a boon to the area, but I think it should be matched with a north-south LRT in the Hwy 27 corridor that connects to the airport, Bloor Subway and WWLRT. Also, the government needs to expand programs like LAMP (from South Etobicoke) to Rexdale.

Seek and ye shall receive: www.rexdalechc.com

I'm VoxPopuliCosmicum, and Rexdale CHC was my idea. ;)

Man...I work in Rexdale. It is because of people like yourself that talk and walk around like you have something stuck up your ass and treating other people like they're the enemy that is the problem here. The way you talk reflects so poorly on yourself that people will not treat you seriously. Ever. Why aren't you taking courses at Humber? Has your anger at the man changed everything so much that you believe that you can perform change from the sidelines easier than being it?

Man. You must be smoking some great dope.

My family is Irish Catholic. At the beginning of this century, we were prosecuted and discriminated against a whole lot worse than the shit you put up with. My grandmother had to collect tin in Dublin to pay for the boat ticket to get here, only to not be able to get a job because she was a catholic and Irish. Do you really think people care that because you're brown that your're a bad guy and we have to watch? No. Your attitude is shit man. No one would hire you because you seem like a dick.

Man. Get with the program or you'll be spending your life on welfare. Maybe that's what you want though.

Last edited:
^Ha. Good advice. There's plenty of very poor working class white people in Kitchener-Waterloo, Hamilton, Brantford, Sarnia etc that probably feel the same way D.D. does. Really it's a class issue and ignorance. Get yourself a student loan D.D. and get out of Rexdale. (Start by actually attending high school.) Why not try going to a college in a smaller community away from this troublesome 'hood for you? Maybe Trent, U Guelph, a prairie university or somewhere in Quebec, like Concordia.

D.D.--judging by your spelling issues, I'm guessing you're around 12-13 years old.

Last edited:
honestly I came bacc to say honestly on a really really real tip for all the white bois telling me this and that about we came from nothing, or worked up or w.e

Desi speaks the truth, but we prefer to insult his grammar rather than address the very real issues he brings up. Not sure about the wisdom of calling a stranger a sellout who "bleaches his skin", but I figure Desi has gotten at least as good as he's given on this board, so who am I to judge? I have lashed out more harshly for less.

Can we really deny that the users of this board are not proportionally demographically representative of the city's population? Can we not extend the same conclusion to the demographics of the power structure in this city? I would love that not to be the case, and perhaps in time it will not be, but it is so maddening to see an educated and progressive group of people pretend that the world around them is not racist, classist and unjust.

Unfortunately for the world, class consciousness is in short supply (Desi is the exception that proves the rule) and that fact is, to steal a line from Professor Griff, "responsible for the majority of wickedness in the world." (To be clear, I disagree with the object of Griff's ascription of blame in the original quote).

Couldn't have said it better Shilly.

Man...I work in Rexdale. It is because of people like yourself that talk and walk around like you have something stuck up your ass and treating other people like they're the enemy that is the problem here. The way you talk reflects so poorly on yourself that people will not treat you seriously. Ever. Why aren't you taking courses at Humber? Has your anger at the man changed everything so much that you believe that you can perform change from the sidelines easier than being it?

Man. You must be smoking some great dope.

My family is Irish Catholic. At the beginning of this century, we were prosecuted and discriminated against a whole lot worse than the shit you put up with. My grandmother had to collect tin in Dublin to pay for the boat ticket to get here, only to not be able to get a job because she was a catholic and Irish. Do you really think people care that because you're brown that your're a bad guy and we have to watch? No. Your attitude is shit man. No one would hire you because you seem like a dick.

Man. Get with the program or you'll be spending your life on welfare. Maybe that's what you want though.

On a somewhat unrelated note Infrastructure Ontario is selling a huge 26 acre parcel of developable land located just to the right of the picture above.

https://apps.infrastructureontario....pertydetails.aspx?propertyid=141&metric=False

I posted this on Page 110 of the Finch West LRT thread, looks like there will be a new affordable community built here

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2017/11/ontario-supporting-new-affordable-housing-development.html

Another News Article
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...-land-pledged-for-mixed-income-community.html

48 acres total land, it's advertising 26 acres as developable, the other 22 acres will be conservation land. Looks pretty big to me, I found these pictures from the PDF flyer when they were selling it. Address is 51 Panorama Court.

View attachment 126017

View attachment 126016

Last edited:
late 60s Albion and Kipling south west side
IMG_0115.jpg

Martin grove and Albion in the gulf station.waiting for my girl friend 1976 pic is bad it was a Kodak zip or one step takes one minute to develop.
IMG_0034.jpg

me in 1975 at the north parking lot of the Silverstone plaza now called danforth food market.the stop sign is at Martin grove and royalcrest rd.notice the speed limit sign is 35 mph imperial not metric.it took along to get used to the metric system.
ggg.jpg

taken the same day at the front parking lot the 2 vw vans is Martin grove and Silverstone.remember hush puppies shoes .
IMG_0129 2.jpg

silverstone and martin grove in the back ground 1976.my 1970 duster.with my I listen to chum sticker.i never won anything.smithfield school in upper right
IMG_0096.jpg

Last edited:
silverstone and martin grove in the back ground 1976.my 1970 duster.with my I listen to chum sticker.i never won anything.smithfield school in upper rightView attachment 354644

Thank you for the great photos, Dan. May I share these photos with the Rexdale Old Photos facebook group? I am sure a lot of people will love them there.
We tend to get plenty of people commenting over there, too.

Last edited:
spring 1976.on the map this pic was taken in round tree park where it says picnic area 1.the camera is facing toward finch.now apartments cover the view.everyone used to party down there.im in the brown coat.my coat is out of date my father asked me if I wanted it. he bought it in 1954 I first said no but when I realized I could fit 3 stubby beers in each pocket I asked him later on do you still have that coat.for real.remember the stubby beer bottles
IMG_0009.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 5.58.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 5.58.47 AM.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the great photos, Dan. May I share these photos with the Rexdale Old Photos facebook group? I am sure a lot of people will love them there.
We tend to get plenty of people commenting over there, too.
no problem .im doing this cause I loved the pictures I seen .brought back tons of memories

Back