8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
went to the vivayork website today to check up on stuff. to my suprise they put up a small video on youtube showing a bit of the contruction of the bridge that goes over the CN rail line next to richmond hill center.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2j5cjQYpv90

Construction of a pedestrian bridge across the CN rail line between GO Transit's Langstaff station and the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal is almost completed. The new link will open this winter to provide safe, fast and easy connections between Viva, YRT and GO Transit services

here are some pics of the construction i took earlier and posted in another thread.

09-16-2007
DSC03702-1.jpg

DSC03703.jpg

09-23-2007
DSC03720.jpg

DSC03721.jpg

DSC03722.jpg

DSC03723.jpg

I waiting for the first "opps" elevator out of service posting.

They could have built a underpass in haft the time that taken to build this as well cost.

It would had taken one weekend to put in precast tunnel section that would require CN to shut down the line.

CP did this some years ago when Mississauga wanted to widen Hurontario that saw pedestrian walkways built on either side of the bridge using precast sections.

Jan 13-08
2198857574_fd8e738910_b.jpg

2198067243_2cacf11949_b.jpg

Most overbuilt project... ever. Does it have office space within those towers or something?

All it's missing is moving sidewalks within the bridge.

CDL:

Indeed, it looks like a lift bridge, for christs' sake. Then again, it's for the set that gets spoiled on cushy seats...

AoD

apparently it won't have elevators for the time being...

NEW YRT / Viva / GO Transit Pedestrian Access Bridge
A new pedestrian access bridge has been constructed, providing direct
access between Richmond Hill Centre Terminal and Langstaff GO Station.
The bridge will be open in early 2008 to accommodate transit customers
making connections. There are staircases on both sides of the bridge, with
elevators to come later

this was from their MyTransit Newsletter - Winter

going up 3 floors(?) is quite high w/o elevators. good luck to all the elderly people or people with other health issues getting across the tracks.

I don't mind it. Maybe over the next few decades Richmond Hillers can erect little shops and houses along the bridge. Then it will be a fire hazard and razed for some other bridge which will eventually get sold to an eccentric millionaire from Lake Havasu City.

The best part is you've got to dodge buses to get across to the other side. So crossing tracks with infrequent freight trains that make their presence known a mile away is a no no, but it's fine to walk across a busy bus terminal?

A level crossing with lights, bells and gates would have done the job and be fully accessible. But in Canada, we refuse to entertain the thought of allowing pedestrians to cross railways at grade. The horror!

(Though in this case, I can see the dwell time of a GO train could be 3-4 minutes, or 5 minutes for a CN derailment-waiting-to-happen long freight to pass) but it would take almost as long to walk up three floors by stairs, across and down again)

Wow, our very own bomb shelter!

This beast is at least 10 times the size of the Oriole bridge.

I believe both bridges were designed to integrate with infill developments in the future and create a +15 system of sorts.

drum - a below grade connection would have cause even more disruption to the rail line when digging underneath. Not to mention underground connections are generally less safe than above ground ones.

You would think that it would be more open for safety (i.e. ramps or open stairs - so not only are the stairs enclosed but the glass is darkly tinted so anyone being mugged or attacked is only barely visible to onlookers below.

I believe both bridges were designed to integrate with infill developments in the future and create a +15 system of sorts.

drum - a below grade connection would have cause even more disruption to the rail line when digging underneath. Not to mention underground connections are generally less safe than above ground ones.

Not really if using precast section.

It would only taken one long weekend to do this.

CP did this on the Milton line around 2000 over the Labour Day weekend. CP were hours late closing the line down. It even open up early than plan. There were 3 500T mobile cranes on site to make sure there was no down time if one crane went down.

At the same time, CP did upgrading of tracks, signals and other things while the City put in the two pedestrian walkways tunnels.

This bridge is over design/kill and it will be more pain to climb when there is no elevator in place when it opens as well when one goes down.

If you got two good legs, it easy to climb. But what about small children and people who do not have good legs or heart? Now, how does someone who used a scooter to go into Toronto get to the RHC after they get off the return GO train to find the west elevator is out of service?????

SeanTrans posting is even a better way. It would cost less than 10% cost wise to do than that bridge. Crossing the bus driveway will more of an issue than crossing the tracks.

As for safety, the bridge will be more an issue than a underpass. What can happen in the underpass can happen overhead.

Elevators are now installed.

"New elevators provide full accessibility for viva passengers who use the pedestrian bridge to cross over the cn tracks and transfer between richmond hill centre terminal and the langstaff go station."

Elevators are now installed.

"New elevators provide full accessibility for viva passengers who use the pedestrian bridge to cross over the cn tracks and transfer between richmond hill centre terminal and the langstaff go station."

They have been in operation almost a month. They were in service a week ahead of schedule for the end of May.

Are they still saying contact, going dooooooown or no sound at all?

It still a 5 minute trip between both station.

When and it will happen, the overpass will be unaccessible and what do those folks do when it happen?

Underpass or a grade crossing would be cheaper and always accessible. I believe it cost an extra $2m at the end of the day. The trip would be shorter also.

Back