News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This morning, I noticed that they've begun the archaeological dig at the south end of Riverdale Park prior to moving the 1906 bowling club house there. 13 trees will be removed during the move but nine of them are dying anyway - and they'll be replaced by 65 new trees, all native species.

Thx for that!

This morning, I noticed that they've begun the archaeological dig at the south end of Riverdale Park prior to moving the 1906 bowling club house there. 13 trees will be removed during the move but nine of them are dying anyway - and they'll be replaced by 65 new trees, all native species.

I was wondering what was up. US -- I noticed that the big house directly south of our new Chinese medicine man's mansion/office is getting a major outdoor refurbishment. Do you know if that's a private apartment, TCHC, or something else? It would be absolutely fabulous if properly renovated.

The relocation of the bowling club house to the north of Bridgepoint is causing some concern for some Langley Ave. residents. A couple were out with a petition the other night as I crossed the park into C'town on way home from work. I don't know if this is a case of nimbyism or if they have a legit concern, and I certainly didn't know that those trees were dying anyway.... there are also types who oppose any change.

Last edited:
Riverdale's residential streets are full of old and dying trees and quite often big chunks of them fall off when there's a heavy wind. The city trims them now and then but rarely appears to cut them down, even if they're hollow and rotten to the core and their dead wood is infested with termites, carpenter ants, and various types of beetles.

I'm not sure when the club house is expected to begin its northerly transit, around the west of the half-round and up the hill to its new location. If I see it start to budge I'll holler. The site where the archaeological excavations are going on was where the House of Refuge stood from 1859 to 1894; towards the end it was used as an isolation hospital for infectious diseases.

Is South Riverdale Safe?

Is crime on the rise?
Are local services making us safe and secure?
Are local parks safe for our kids and neighbours?

Please join us at a community forum on safety and security featuring an update on recent findings and an interactive mapping exercise.

This is your opportunity to be heard.

For more information or to RSVP please contact Joanne at 416-392-6810 ext. 231

Refreshments will be provided

Ralph Thornton Community Centre
765 Queen Street East
www.ralphthornton.org
Thursday, May 28, 2009 | 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
Ralph Thornton Community Centre, 2nd Floor

Ralph Thornton Centre

I hope to see some of you there!

I was told by one of the people with pointy-heads who were meeting at the top of the hill this morning that the club house will begin its transit this weekend. The same firm who moved Campbell House are doing the heavy lifting.

Community Safety & Security Forum

I hope to see some of you there!

I have been to several of these fora before so it wasn't new to me. One point I didn't make last night was to get input and buy-in from the BIA in terms of working with residents [home owners, tenants] and social service providers and law enforcement to address issues of safety. Residents' groups - especially if comprised mostly of home-owners - and business associations can be conservative enough in their public statements around crime and criminality that they get the back up of local social service providers that you end up with confrontational relationships. Working together, with the Councillor's office providing facillitation and networking, can be very fruitful in terms of addressing the concerns that are actionable.

The club house hasn't moved far - this morning the trailer bearing it was still parked at the north end of the old gaol.

Stuck?

Some more movement recently. Now it's parked just to the west of the cannon, down the hill.

Not for me to cast aspersions, but they're either going to have to take down a very large, healthy tree beside the driveway to the Parks & Rec bunker at the bottom of the hill, or back up and go around a different way. Methinks a few 'non-diseased' trees are about to come down.

It's on the move! A couple of hours ago it was slowly inching up the hill, towed by three trucks ... with three lucky guys in hard hats crouching beneath the house!

Back