News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm guessing cheap rent (relative to Queen or the Danforth) surrounded by a good neighbourhood. Places like Batifole don't rely on pedestrian traffic the same way some other places do, so the surrounding streetscape probably isn't key to its business model. It survived, and Playpen did not, because Batifole is good, whereas most people I know who tried Playpen either said "meh" or were only mildly enthusiastic (I never managed to get to it while it was open).

We've never been to Batifole when it was empty. Always full.

Different clientele - The Real Jerk is more sit-down, Island Joe's is quick service.

I think the new location is probably better for them than next to the DVP anyway.

The precious princesses in the condo like Dawn Howat must be pleased.

Timmy's is moving in to the high profile SE corner at Broadview and Danforth. I had my money on a coffee shop, but I was thinking Starbucks or Aroma.

I wonder how it will do. There will be some pedestrian traffic on the way to and from Broadview station. Not a helluva lot though. It's not the highest density around there and, on the west side, there's the DVP. McD's has a locale across the street which serves coffee and the old timers are probably devoted to Coffee Time on the other corner, south of Danforth. Also there's nowhere to stop and run in to grab something.

Today I spotted a SOLD sign on the FOR SALE billboard on the lot at the NE corner of Playter and Danforth.

I sure hope they don't build another giant out-of-character store there, like they did with Shoppers and the LCBO. Those two are enough. Call me crazy but I'd love to see a low-rise condo or office space with retail at the ground level.

What a great site. How would you feel about a 6 storey condo with retail and alot of setbacks? Like Reserve Properties building on the Lick's site in the beaches. Similar sized site. http://www.lakehousecondo.com/residence.html . I think that would look great there.
Today I spotted a SOLD sign on the FOR SALE billboard on the lot at the NE corner of Playter and Danforth.

I sure hope they don't build another giant out-of-character store there, like they did with Shoppers and the LCBO. Those two are enough. Call me crazy but I'd love to see a low-rise condo or office space with retail at the ground level.

What a great site. How would you feel about a 6 storey condo with retail and alot of setbacks? Like Reserve Properties building on the Lick's site in the beaches. Similar sized site. http://www.lakehousecondo.com/residence.html . I think that would look great there.

I would feel fine, especially since it's on the north side and wouldn't cut too mkuch light off from the street.
But are 6 floors allowed? I thought 4 were max.

I would imagine that the homeowners of those gorgeous old houses on Playter would be none too pleased. My guess is, they'd be relieved to see a condo versus a box store but they would prefer to see towns.

Others can opine on this but I think Danforth would be an "avenue" and the City of Toronto Avenues Study permits the same height as width of street and I think that will get you at least 6 floors on Danforth. On Queen you get 6. (well got 6).On Danforth it might be higher. You should get height. Density is what we want and if not on Danforth where? The houses behind Licks lost the battle and I hope the houses on Playter lose as well. A nice condo there with retail on the north sunny side would be great.
I would feel fine, especially since it's on the north side and wouldn't cut too mkuch light off from the street.
But are 6 floors allowed? I thought 4 were max.

I would imagine that the homeowners of those gorgeous old houses on Playter would be none too pleased. My guess is, they'd be relieved to see a condo versus a box store but they would prefer to see towns.

I am all for the "avenue" model. And I agree that Danforth, where there is a subway and access to streetcars from Broadview, is ripe for the pickings, especially further east. (It's a desert between Jones and Victoria Park, IMO.) As far as I am concerned, if you pitch your text next to a main artery, sooner or later you have to expect that the developers will come along.

However, adding to the congestion between Bloor/Danforth and Pape stations demands a downtown relief line of some sort. And Carlaw at rush hour is becoming a real problem, as is Eastern Ave.

It's a desert between Jones and Victoria Park, IMO.

Whoa, there... that's quite a chunk of territory to dismiss. Danforth is quite nice from Greenwood to Coxwell, falls off again through Woodbine, and is very busy (if definitely more sketchy) around Main through to Vic Park.

I'd say around Monarch Park, Danforth gives the chunk from Pape to Donlands a run for its money, at least.

Whoa, there... that's quite a chunk of territory to dismiss. Danforth is quite nice from Greenwood to Coxwell, falls off again through Woodbine, and is very busy (if definitely more sketchy) around Main through to Vic Park.

I'd say around Monarch Park, Danforth gives the chunk from Pape to Donlands a run for its money, at least.

I think you might have missed the context. I was referring to opportunities for increasing density as in the "avenue" model. I know that there's been some improvement retail and restaurant-wise along that strip. But, in terms of opportunities for low to midrise buiildings, right on a subway line, it's ripe for the pickings.

I think you might have missed the context. I was referring to opportunities for increasing density as in the "avenue" model. I know that there's been some improvement retail and restaurant-wise along that strip. But, in terms of opportunities for low to midrise buiildings, right on a subway line, it's ripe for the pickings.

Agreed. One of the more bizarre things is that there is ZERO midrise from Jones almost to Woodbine (one building on the SE corner of Coxwell & Danforth is all I can think of, except the setback TCHC building at Donlands), then Carmelina is building 12 stories/140 units. Couldn't a few 4-6 story buildings gone in first? Carmelina is really going to stick out!

Queue the typical anti-SUN News comments.

Why, other than the brutal production values? It's worth a debate -- did the painter push the envelope or not? Personally, I'd leave it. But I can see why it would be offensive to some. No offense js97, but if it was 'Up The Beach' written there, would you care? What does 'jihadi war cry' mean, and why should I care?

Back