News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The only rendering I've ever seen is the one in the first link I provided in my post above (it's image #2 on the Catherine Nasmith page). Just a concept drawing.

That cinderblock addition is very bleak. They should raze it and start over - maybe moving the house a la the condo on Sherbourne and building 6-8 stacked townhouses east/west on the lot.

Don't know if it's ever been posted on this forum but one of the Harris descendants put together a great website with lots of east Danforth history.

In other news, and this could also go in the East York thread as it is kind of on the border, a new cafe called Chao Ciao Espresso opened in what was a grungy old variety store on the SE corner of Broadview and Browning. Plans are for a patio, sandwiches and more. It's a great add to a seriously bleak part of Broadview. Hope there's enough walk-by traffic for it to thrive. I can't imagine the rent is too steep there. It's biggest competition should be Broadview Espresso closer to the subway station.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the shooting on the danforth early sunday morning. Appears to have occured either in front of logo bar or fantasia bouzouki lounge, 22 year old male of greek descent arrested. This allongside a woman getting slashed in the face the previous week on the strip just east of pape. Pretty scary stuff.

I've been on the Danforth a couple times at night and it's become a sort-of mini club district for Greeks and Serbs. Has the Danforth always had a nightlife scene?

It use to, then it died and now in recent times its sprung up again, its not my scene at all but currently i know of 3 night spots that have become popular for greeks and maybe serbs to a lesser extent. The former romeo bouziki lounge is now called strofes live and has developed quite a following amongst younger greeks, the rebrand of kefi lounge to fantasia has made it a genuine greek night spot now and it appears the shooting took place in front of it, then you have logo bar which has managed to become a hell of a lot more popular as a night spot then its previous run known as trapezi..granted its still a decent cafe during the day. Could be other spots i dont know of but this scene has definately come alive again

Got no issue with the night life vibe but hopefully these things are just a one off. Shootings and stabbings are not something you really associate with the area..especially the traditional greek blocks.

Unconfirmed, word on the street is that the former OMONIA space at corner of Danforth and Arundul will become a chain restaurant "All Star Wings and Ribs".

Wonder how this will affect St. Louis Wings at Danforth and Carlaw?

www.allstarwingsandribs.com

All Star Wings & Ribs is apparently holding a job fair tomorrow for its new location at 426 Danforth, where Omonia used to be. Which means they're opening soon-ish. Erm, yay?

All Star Wings & Ribs is apparently holding a job fair tomorrow for its new location at 426 Danforth, where Omonia used to be. Which means they're opening soon-ish. Erm, yay?

I think, but can't be sure, that this is an offshoot of Arahova, one of the earliest souvlaki joints in Montreal, one that started up in the early 70s and then expanded all over town. If you look at its menu it's got a Greek junk food think happening. Feta on everything, that kind of thing. Looks like it's out to kill not just St. Louis Wings but every pub and souvlaki/gyros place on the strip.

surprised nobody mentioned avli closing up a few weeks back, this use to be one of my go to places and one of those "danforth won't be the same" type of restaurants, chef lambros is retiring, definitely the end of an era.

Starting to find fewer reasons to hit the main drag, pape village seems to have the better Greek places these days.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody has mentioned the [...]

surprised nobody mentioned [...]

The thread isn't meant to be comprehensive, and news isn't guaranteed to be up-to-date. People post what interests them when they have time to do so. It isn't unusual for us to be discussing developments that occurred months previously. You shouldn't be surprised - merely happy to be sharing news that might be of interest to those that follow this thread. :) And we are happy to hear your news.

Last edited:
Really sorry about Avli. Hope maybe Cafe Fiorentina takes over the location because it has announced that it is moving.

While I welcome La Diperie, I worry that it's one more "touristy" place and that it won't do that great during the winter.

Hah! I had Riverdale news before you! Yes, this is their last week at the current location. They hope to stay in the hood.

And, by the way, Crema is also gone. To be replaced by Propeller, I believe.

I noticed on Thursday morning that Crema was locked up. People looking for their morning coffee were peering in the windows, wondering why they had been left bereft of their caffeine. I wanted to tell them to go around the corner to the much better Marvel Coffee. Not a surprise - this Crema outlet has been for sale on MLS for sometime now.

I look forward to Propeller.

You always have the neighbourhood low-down before I do!

Why is Cafe Fiorentina moving? So many vacancies in the area from they can choose - assuming the landlords are asking for reasonable rents, which is not a given.

ETA: By the way, wandered by nearby Wagstaff Drive on Friday afternoon. The combination of Left Field Brewery and Pilot Coffee Roasters on that little lane is a hidden neighbourhood treasure. My friend tasted a few of the Left Field brews, and then we sidled up to the coffee tasting bar at Pilot to try my favourite types of brews. Both great businesses to have in our midst. Maybe this ETA better belongs in the East Danforth or Leslieville threads, but since we walked to Wagstaff from Withrow Park and I am already here in this thread, I will make mention of it now.

Last edited:

Back