News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You always have the neighbourhood low-down before I do.

No, YOU!

Why is Cafe Fiorentina moving? So many vacancies in the area from they can choose - assuming the landlords are asking for reasonable rents, which is not a given.

I dunno. This is just a guess based on my last experience there. Too small. The AC was not up to the challenge.

I was browsing around some real estate listings and noticed a few other businesses for sale in the area in case anyone is looking to buy..

Wing House (630 Danforth)
Fresh Express Fine Foods (733 Pape)
Megas (502 Danforth)
UPS (283 Danforth)

Yeah, most if not all of those have been kicking around on MLS for quite some time. Always interesting to see what the vendors think the businesses are worth/what they would like to get.

Mother's Dumplings on Danforth (east of Pape) has closed...a signed said something called Revere would be opening there

@Ex-Montreal Girl won't want to hear this, and I was sad to see the email earlier today, but Lolita's Lust is closing. It seems the owner was having difficulties with the landlord. Not good news.

This is the email that the owner sent out on the restaurant's circulation list:

Dear Friends,

After considerable consideration I have decided to close our doors effective immediately.

Due to ongoing landlord issues and lease negotiations.

As I look back at the restaurant's long 20 year history, I foundly remember all the parties, groups and iconic movie stars that have dined at Lolita's.

BUT - what I will always remember most is the love and patronage Lolita's received from the Danforth/Rivderdale Community (and beyond). We were called home to many in the community and as a result have developed many lasting friendships.

To all my staff who poured their hearts into this restaurant from past to present I thank you for being the pulse that made this iconic restaurant tick. Specifically Gianni, who stayed with me until the end.

A special thank you to 3 people, two of which will read and appreciate this...

It is rare to find a restaurant that can withstand two decades of success in the ever changing restaurant landscape of Toronto. The original vision and direction of Johnny K. & Laura Prentice and the forward culinary thinking of Sydney Bleicher ensured that the chemistry that was created from the beginning was maintained to the end. Thank You.

Thank you once again for coming to Lolita's and allowing us to share and create memories with you.

I will now focus my attention on my restaurant in leslieville, braised - www.braised.ca

I welcome you to explore braised and hope to see you soon.

Best

Sam

It's definitely sad to see it go, although I felt its quality had markedly declined over the years.

Last night we were four at Greenwood Smokehouse, so we did the medium platter and if you're a fan of BBQ, it's a treat. No buns to get in the way, cole slaw and two other sides and we were stuffed. Totally recommended.

Lotta building-reno type activity (finally!) at Danforth-Ferrier which has had a sign calling it "Anestis" for ages now. I've seen it online as "Anestis Taverna" and "Anestis Mediterranean Grill." I hope it's not just another meat-on-a-stick or meat-in-a-pita joint. I think to make a location that big work at this point in the Danforth narrative, it should offer more, much more.

I remember back when the location was Athenian Garden. I always felt that, of all the Greek joints, it had the best patio.

Anestis didn't lease the entire space - there is a small portion along Danforth that was severed from the rest and is being leased (or is already leased) separately. But, still, it's a large space and I agree that hopefully there are doing more than just meat on a stick.

Surprised they were not ready in time for That Taste Weekend We All Dread. Or all they desperately trying to get the space ready for all or part of the weekend?

Anestis didn't lease the entire space - there is a small portion along Danforth that was severed from the rest and is being leased (or is already leased) separately. But, still, it's a large space and I agree that hopefully there are doing more than just meat on a stick.

Surprised they were not ready in time for That Taste Weekend We All Dread. Or all they desperately trying to get the space ready for all or part of the weekend?

Ooooops. You're correct about the size of the place. The way I recall it, Athenian Garden started with the corner space, then took over another portion (about a third of the whole space) and then another third until it became toooooo big.

As for TOTD, I just got bored with it. The diversity disappeared. Many of the restos just stopped playing. Now it's just about all souvlaki. But I have never dreaded it. I love the idea that we live in a city/country where so many people can come together and nobody is killed -- except by cholesterol.

Taste of the danforth was good when it first started, its hard to recommend a festival where at times its impossible to move which is what its become. People dont realise you can come and have the same food any other time of the year. Also a lot of the entertainment makes no sense. What does a miss and mr asia contest have to do with danforth culture? lol. I use to like it back when they had the greek stage at logan, then they decided to dump it to jones ave. After that it became a confusing mix mash where it seems the whole point of it is to squeeze as many people in as possible so they can claim they broke the record.

Have been told hunters pizza and souvlaki has opened up just east of pape. The original hunters in scarborough is a gem so im looking forward to this one. Arguably the best chicken souvlaki ive ever had at the original, pizza is decent as well.

Back