News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It looks like things might be slowly moving along in respect of the William Harris House at the NW corner of Pape and Riverdale. Owned by the Salvation Army for years, Councillor Fletcher tried unsuccessfully around 2010 to turn it into affordable housing for artists (but it did get designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in the process). At one point, it was floated as a possible new home for the Red Door shelter. The post-Salvation Army owners lost the property when it turned out they'd stolen money from diet spokesperson Stanley Bernstein. Earlier this year, the new (and current) owners briefly listed the house for sale for $1 ("We're just putting it out there and seeing what potential it has"). I'm guessing they didn't get an acceptable offer, because the owners have now filed a PPR/zoning review for the 28-unit condominium they have been talking about for so long. Baby steps.

Rode by on my bike today and noticed many trucks on the street, and lights and crew in the yard filming something inside...

Ah, thanks for the info...wondering if they'll use any neighbourhood outdoor street shots too
Oh, also Sugar Mountain at Danforth and Carlaw recently closed as well

Ah, Sugar Mountain has had a for lease sign in its window for almost two years. I think they were month to month while the landlord looked for someone else.

Also forgot to mention that Pizzaiolo will be opening up in the old Wong's Camera at Broadview and Danforth...kinda sad that nobody mentioned that Wong's which closed last year had been at that location for over 30 years before closing last summer....even more sad that there are fewer and fewer independent businesses in the area now although Pizzaiolo is Canadian

Over the weekend, we went to Brigantino's at 401 Danforth (where Avli used to be) and had an amazing Italian dinner. I had the Carbonara with pancetta pasta and it was oh so delicious. Very friendly, enthusiastic and attentive staff. Go check it out if you haven't done so already.

Ughhh. Do we really need another Pizzaiolo location on the strip?

ETA: Another Ughhh. According to the City of Toronto Buildings department site, a zoning review has been submitted to see if a nail salon would be permitted at 395 Danforth Ave - the old location of Diners Thai. Nail salon and Pizzaiolo - yawn.

Last edited:
The great frozen desert invasion also appears to have fizzled out.
It just seems to have gone upscale -- the frozen yogurt place is gone, but La Diperie has appeared. (And while I know it's French, I always read it as "diaper-y", which sounds really unappealing...)

I was referring to the fact that Dolce Gelato, Yogurty's and Menchie's all showed up on the strip around the same time, and now only Dolce Gelato is left standing.

La Diperie might be the beginning of a second frozen desert assault on the Danforth.

And, yes, La Diaper-y does sound unappealing!

ETA: Another Ughhh. According to the City of Toronto Buildings department site, a zoning review has been submitted to see if a nail salon would be permitted at 395 Danforth Ave - the old location of Diners Thai. Nail salon and Pizzaiolo - yawn.
Also forgot to mention that Pizzaiolo will be opening up in the old Wong's Camera at Broadview and Danforth...kinda sad that nobody mentioned that Wong's which closed last year had been at that location for over 30 years before closing last summer....even more sad that there are fewer and fewer independent businesses in the area now although Pizzaiolo is Canadian

Time will tell but I was surprised that Pizzaiolo would choose that location given that there is an established Pizza Pizza nearby....

"But for Nick Shcherban, who lives in the house next door, the activities of the crew are more of a horror show than the movie itself.
Shcherban says film crews "trespassed on our property ... smoke in front of our house, they litter, (there's) excessive noise from generators."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/it-riverdale-pape-stephen-king-neighbour-1.3722207?cmp=rss

Honestly, I wont even go that way in fear of seeing Pennywise!

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/16/pennywise-the-clown-revealed-in-full-costume

Anyone know why Maple Crete is randomly replacing sidewalks along Broadview for the past few weeks? I didn't mind the temporary bike lane up Broadview, but have to wonder why they are replacing parts at random. I thought at first that they might be making modifications in anticipation of the new streetcars, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Back