News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think this comes down to where a driver was trained (formally or informally). in places with more advanced signalization, I don't think drivers are accustomed to waiting in the middle of an intersection. some cities also explicitly have signs saying not to block intersections.
Technically they're right, since you're not supposed to enter an intersection unless you know you can clear it before the light turns red, and that's basically impossible in Toronto if you're turning left because of oncoming traffic running the reds.

Reactions: PL1
Technically they're right, since you're not supposed to enter an intersection unless you know you can clear it before the light turns red, and that's basically impossible in Toronto if you're turning left because of oncoming traffic running the reds.
Knowing you can clear it, doesn't mean taking into allowance those that run yellows and reds.

I think this comes down to where a driver was trained (formally or informally). in places with more advanced signalization, I don't think drivers are accustomed to waiting in the middle of an intersection. some cities also explicitly have signs saying not to block intersections.
Mmm, perhaps, but I'm not convinced. Coupled with being informally told that some schools are teaching it this way.
With the greatest of respect to the Alberta I disagree with a couple of their 'incorrect' movements.
That's not exactly how the legislation reads.

145 (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit a driver or street car operator approaching, at an intersection, a traffic control signal showing a circular green or green arrow indication from entering the intersection unless traffic in front of him or her is moving in a manner that would reasonably lead him or her to believe he or she can clear the intersection before the signal indication changes to a circular red indication. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (1).

Idem

(2) A by-law passed under subsection (1) does not apply to a driver or street car operator who enters an intersection for the purpose of turning to the right or left into an intersecting highway and signals his or her intention to make the turn prior to entering the intersection.

There is a difference between "know" and "reasonably lead . . . to believe". Entering a controlled intersection with the intention of turning left, and having no other vehicles in front of you, it is reasonable to assume that you can clear the intersection. Otherwise, left turns would essentially be illegal in all intersections that don't have dedicated left turn signals (although no doubt many would support that) which of itself is unreasonable.

Nobody with experience driving in Toronto could reasonably believe that oncoming traffic is going to stop for a yellow light and give them a chance to turn left while the light is still yellow. If you were following this law you'd only move into the intersection when you see an upcoming gap in the traffic.

Of course, I realize that this is not how anyone does it, but it's a reasonable thing to teach new drivers.

Nobody with experience driving in Toronto could reasonably believe that oncoming traffic is going to stop for a yellow light and give them a chance to turn left while the light is still yellow. If you were following this law you'd only move into the intersection when you see an upcoming gap in the traffic.

Of course, I realize that this is not how anyone does it, but it's a reasonable thing to teach new drivers.
It is not just a Toronto/GTA phenomena.

In most places in Toronto, I find traffic stops on yellow - it's seldom I see traffic blowing through on a red - and there's always a decent delay here before lights go red in one direction, and green in the other.

As a pedestrian, I seldom trap a turning car in the intersection (as a driver I always let them clear). If I do trap them, it's because they are clueless, or they actually entered the intersection on red.

In most places in Toronto, I find traffic stops on yellow - it's seldom I see traffic blowing through on a red - and there's always a decent delay here before lights go red in one direction, and green in the other.

As a pedestrian, I seldom trap a turning car in the intersection (as a driver I always let them clear). If I do trap them, it's because they are clueless, or they actually entered the intersection on red.
Other than advance lefts, which people absolutely push the hell out of.

I also find people are more likely to push reds in the suburbs where large intersections have exceptionally long signal cycles, and where the time penalty for missing the light can be several minutes.

We hear a lot more data about speed cameras than red light cameras, but in fact there is data available on the City's Open Portal.
A quick sort of the data for 2022 established that the top 5 locations based on number of offenses fined were

1681844838993.png

These 5 locations averaged 2568.4 offenses per camera, versus an average for the city's 289 cameras of 449.5 offenses per camera for the year. (some cameras may have not been in service for the full year, however)

I haven't played with the data or tried to sort central city from suburbs, but the theory that offences happen mostly in the suburbs may have some support from data.

My personal anecdotal observation is that it happens most often wherever impatience presents itself.

- Paul

Last edited:
I much prefer dedicated left turn signals. Many of them in Mississauga anyway you can only turn left on a green left arrow, otherwise you need to wait till the next one. It's a bit inconvenient but it takes the guesswork out of making your left. I think those are mostly when you have the dual left turn lanes though.

Back