News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Kensington is always changing. Sanagan's is making a killing, and there are a lot of new places that are thriving.

I am puzzled at why a fruit vendor thinks that the key to their future (or even present?) success is parking. What's the modal split for customers? And how many of the drivers are going anywhere deeper into the market than (for example) the Green P on Gerrard?

Gentrification is certainly a concern. But it won't be pedestrianized streets that hasten it. I was down there last week, and was suprised to see that construction has now started for the new subway station at Queen and Spadina. That's really going to change the entire area. I'd expect a lot of new towers appearing. On one hand, it (both the subway and the increased number of residents) will bring a lot more business to the fruit market than a handful of cars. On the other hand, there'll be a lot of pressure to become even more touristy and mundane.
I understand the concern about the changes that gentrification will make to Kensington Market. But literally 1% of their customers come by car.

I am puzzled at why a fruit vendor thinks that the key to their future (or even present?) success is parking. What's the modal split for customers? And how many of the drivers are going anywhere deeper into the market than (for example) the Green P on Gerrard?

LOL, Gerrard? You're on point, but as Gerrard ends at University.....a different street name is required.

Gentrification is certainly a concern. But it won't be pedestrianized streets that hasten it. I was down there last week, and was suprised to see that construction has now started for the new subway station at Queen and Spadina. That's really going to change the entire area. I'd expect a lot of new towers appearing. On one hand, it (both the subway and the increased number of residents) will bring a lot more business to the fruit market than a handful of cars. On the other hand, there'll be a lot of pressure to become even more touristy and mundane.

*nods*

A man and a woman are facing charges following a road rage incident in downtown Toronto on Saturday evening that led to seven vehicles being struck, Toronto police say.

In a news release on Sunday, police said a man operating a blue Ford Escape SUV — with three passengers — in the Front Street West and Lower Simcoe Street area "became involved in a road rage incident with another driver" and smashed the hood of that vehicle with a collapsible baton.

Police said officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but "the man proceeded to drive through heavy traffic and onto the sidewalk, [narrowly] missing pedestrians and striking seven stopped vehicles before being stopped by officers."
Officers arrested two men and two women in the vehicle. According to police, a 25-year-old Toronto man was charged with the following:
  • Possession of a weapon.
  • Mischief to property under $5,000.
  • Two counts of fail to stop for police.
  • Four counts of dangerous operation.
  • Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000.
  • Drive motor vehicle while suspended.
  • Use unauthorized plate.
He was scheduled to appear at the Toronto Regional Bail Centre on Sunday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-road-rage-arrests-1.6922733

A man and a woman are facing charges following a road rage incident in downtown Toronto on Saturday evening that led to seven vehicles being struck, Toronto police say.

In a news release on Sunday, police said a man operating a blue Ford Escape SUV — with three passengers — in the Front Street West and Lower Simcoe Street area "became involved in a road rage incident with another driver" and smashed the hood of that vehicle with a collapsible baton.

Police said officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but "the man proceeded to drive through heavy traffic and onto the sidewalk, [narrowly] missing pedestrians and striking seven stopped vehicles before being stopped by officers."
Officers arrested two men and two women in the vehicle. According to police, a 25-year-old Toronto man was charged with the following:
  • Possession of a weapon.
  • Mischief to property under $5,000.
  • Two counts of fail to stop for police.
  • Four counts of dangerous operation.
  • Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000.
  • Drive motor vehicle while suspended.
  • Use unauthorized plate.
He was scheduled to appear at the Toronto Regional Bail Centre on Sunday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-road-rage-arrests-1.6922733
I've said before, I support roadside crushing of such vehicles. Give the bill to the driver. And fines scaled to worth/income (with the value of the car as some minimal threshold).

And yes, I appreciate that these are not likely to happen in our slap-the-driver's-wrist society

Possibly the most disgusting Toronto driver behaviour ever captured on video.

I am troubled by the initial reporting focusing on the number of inanimate objects that were struck (7 cars) as opposed to the people.

This article is from one of the leading opponents of pedestrianization in Kensington. I would first, encourage everyone to read it.....

FWIW, my perception of her thoughts is this:

1) She's fundamentally wrong about a great deal.

2) Opposing 'gentrification' in general, let alone in an already gentrified market is a bit peculiar.

3) Her representation of who the City did (not) consult is completely and utterly off.

What a strange set of arguments:

1) But what if property values/rents rise?

(already happened, will continue to happen, decorative pavers and rolled curbs will not make a material difference.)

2) But the City won't do it to Yonge Street first!

(uh, the plans for Yonge are very pedestrian forward, and eliminating cars for 2 city blocks of 2 side streets is a much different proposition that eliminating them from a 4-lane arterial road)

3) But what if some immigrant business owners have to move?

(already happened, the current crop of owners displaced all the live chicken vendors I remember as a child)

4) There's no plan to allow for deliveries!

(yes there is, what a load of poppycock)

5) But we have to allow for customers who do large pick-ups!

( Accommodated, that said, Kensington is not an area doing a vast wholesale trade of high volumes of goods.)

In case I'm not clear, I don't find this woman's case impressive; and she's either dishonest or misinformed about a few things she says.

Back