News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Can they legally stop anyone from taking photos if the photos are being taken from outside of their property lines?

Not that I am aware of, unless it violates a specific law (i.e. voyeurism, copyright, etc. obviously not applicable here). They would have no claim to a 'reasonable expectation of privacy.' given the obvious scale of the site surrounded by an open weave fence.

Can they legally stop anyone from taking photos if the photos are being taken from outside of their property lines?
As long you are on public land, you have the rights to shoot X as long as it not going to be use to create money, a security issue or people without their permission. I know the road leading toward the river is public land, but not sure if it heading toward the foundations. It could be City Portland, since a port commission security car was paroling the area. They said nothing to me at taking photograph.

You will get various site personnel saying you can't shoot their employees or employees object being photographs. Then you will have employees wanting you take a photograph of them. From my experience, its a no win for getting people in a photo depend on what you are shooting or when. I always try my best not to get people in my photos, but I have since no way around it.

Where I was shooting, nothing special taking place, but will be in the next few years.

Last edited:
I could see taking photographs of a new international bridge and border security facility as a security issue here though, so I would be careful.
Photographs of the bridge itself is not a security issue since ppl using the river will be shooting it just like other bridges today crossing any waterway. The security facility would fall under security issue as I noted

Photographs of the bridge itself is not a security issue since ppl using the river will be shooting it just like other bridges today crossing any waterway. The security facility would fall under security issue as I noted
During construction, photographing the bridge definitely poses a security risk. As someone who has worked on public projects of this scope, there are security features built in everywhere, even on/in the bridge.

Before it was suspended with the border restrictions, the Tunnel Bus allowed bicycles - but it was limited to two per bus, on the bus schedule. It at least got you from downtown to downtown, though the Detroit end of the bridge isn't far from Mexicantown and Dearborn.

Detroit, with its empty, wide roads and flat topography is a great place to ride. I've done it several times on a rented bike.

The GHIB multi-use path was announced way back in 2017 when the bridge was still being designed, so I'm not sure why this is being treated as news.

Regardless, it will be interesting. Both corresponding sections of Detroit and Windsor are terrible places to cycle, though. The Windsor side near the bridge is almost entirely industrial land with highways (I used to live near there), and the Detroit side is the same but with the addition of abandoned properties.There is hope that the bridge will revitalize the area on the Detroit side but I'm pretty sure Detroit wants to make it an industrial-only area.

The Herb Gray Parkway on the Windsor side has a very long cycling trail that could eventually be connected to the bridge, but it stops at Malden Road, pretty far away from the GHIB site. I'm not sure if they plan on building more trail to connect it to the bridge, but I hope this is the case. Ideally, a trail alongside Ojibway Parkway that runs from Sandwich Town to Ojibway Park should be built as well, but we will see if cycling/hiking-friendly investments are made in the area to connect everything together.

realistically the trail will be used by a handful of people a day. Most border crossings handle pedestrians with a shuttle for this reason - there are very few people doing it.

I believe the only crossing to see significant pedestrian traffic really is the Rainbow Bridge as many people like to walk over to the US side of the falls. But even that is likely way down in traffic now that passports are required to cross.

The reality is that most people who want to cross to Detroit from Windsor are going to use the Tunnel as it spits them out right in downtown, and take the Windsor Transit bus across.

The location of the bridge isn't the most attractive for walking. But over time, it could change. It's nice to see infrastructure conducive to progressive changes, as opposed to the MTO's treatment of freeway interchanges as a pedestrian and cycling no man's land. Over time, what was once a highway at the edge of the city becomes a highway in the middle of a city where people want to walk and cycle. Areas change and evolve. The new bridge is in an industrial area on both sides, but it's also close to parks and neighbourhoods.

realistically the trail will be used by a handful of people a day. Most border crossings handle pedestrians with a shuttle for this reason - there are very few people doing it.

I believe the only crossing to see significant pedestrian traffic really is the Rainbow Bridge as many people like to walk over to the US side of the falls. But even that is likely way down in traffic now that passports are required to cross.

The reality is that most people who want to cross to Detroit from Windsor are going to use the Tunnel as it spits them out right in downtown, and take the Windsor Transit bus across.

The only permanent shuttle I am aware of is the Tunnel Bus. The Rainbow Bridge and the Peace Bridge allow pedestrians, though cyclists must cross the Rainbow Bridge with other traffic (I’ve done that both ways, it’s not as bad as you may think. Riding the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, which is permitted, would be another story completely.)

None of the fixed links between Ontario and Michigan permit pedestrians or cyclists, even the bridge at Sault Ste. Marie. The two ferries across the St. Clair River do, but they are quite out of the way.

I was in Windsor yesterday. It's very hard to get any decent photos on the ground, given the industrial nature of that part of Windsor's waterfront.

On the Detroit side, there would probably be some good views from the park surrounding Fort Wayne, but of course the border is still closed to general traffic.

But the piers are forming on both sides of the river.

IMG_4606-001.JPG

IMG_4607-001.JPG

The end of Highway 401 - for now.

IMG_4605-001.JPG

Back