News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

View from Delray, Detroit today. The span is starting to go in.

6293BF5D-0765-4D3A-93E7-ABD7FB1C06AD.jpeg
26417FE1-7E27-410B-9056-739182915523.jpeg

Dec 19/20
Had to do a trip to Detroit on Monday and stay overnight to scout out any shooting locations for the American tower. Its a war zone and a number of locations can be had with better close up shots than the Canadian Tower.

This will be the first of a number of posting as there too much to cover in one posting. Shot close to 100 photos for both sides with some night time shots for the American tower. Good things I took those nighttime shots as there is more going on during the day as well security. The roads are open for local business that's allows you to drive by the site legally and shoot from the car. There are places you can park and get out to do some shooting. In a few of those locations, keep an eye for security as some are real bad with some allowing to shot if you are not near the gates. There are some whole drive around.

You can do almost 340 around the Canadian Tower on the new road system and the last 2 support beans are being form that will allow you to drive under the ramp to/from the bridge.

Both towers have the full rear ramp in place that are on supports as well a section for the bridge itself. Until the towers are complete, cables from the towers to support the rear deck cannot be stung.

One would think the support beams would be the same design for both sides, but are not. The US beams and columns are different from the Canadian ones.

The US truck inspection is 2-3 times than the Canadian one.

Unedited and not tag
US
1671578282304.jpeg
1671578401048.jpeg

1671578486123.jpeg

1671578546669.jpeg

1671578603189.jpeg

1671578630607.jpeg

US and Canadian Towers
1671578704473.jpeg

1671578780711.jpeg

I'll try and get some shots over Christmas as I will be visiting family in the area.
Excited to see the cables start coming into play.

I'll try and get some shots over Christmas as I will be visiting family in the area.
Excited to see the cables start coming into play.
Should be sometime in Q1 or once the towers top is complete. Q2 should see a number of cables strung as there is about 16 per side on the rear and 1 on the bridge. Once those cables are in place, the centre sections can start to be install around late Q2 or Q3 I would expect.

The only place to get a good shot of the towers and the river is from the Canadian side, as you have industries blocking blocking the US side view. If you have access to a pleasure craft, you will get great shots next year and then on..

All of my shots for Dec 19 & 20 on both side of the river are finally up on site. There is over 100 shots and taken me longer than planned to get caught up on my backlog as I found I had 2200 more in it than I though I did. One more day for 2021 to upload and currently working and Feb 10 photos

Hope to get down there in May of June to get shot of both sides.

Bike, pedestrian path to Canada coming to new international bridge

From link.
The new Gordie Howe International Bridge will include a pedestrian link between Michigan and Canada under terms of a new agreement.

On Sept., 9, officials in Michigan and Canada signed a memorandum of understanding to connect trails on either side of the border the new bridge over the Detroit River, which is scheduled to open by the end of 2024.

The goal is to link the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail in Ontario to the Iron Belle Trail in Michigan, as well as connect to a proposed land and water trail network under development in southeast Michigan between Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair and Lake Huron called the Great Lakes Way.

The agreement was signed in Windsor last week by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, Trans Canada Trail and the Waterfront Regeneration Trust (WRT) in Ontario.

Officials say the goal is to enhance tourism

“Recently, people have turned to state trails, parks and waterways like never before, seeking space, comfort and connection,” said Dan Eichinger, DNR director. “The opportunities afforded by this partnership surely will provide even greater reward for getting outdoors.”

Eichinger was among several officials who spoke at an hourlong ceremony last week that was long on philosophical remarks about connecting people and condolences over the death of the United Kingdom’s Queen Elizabeth II, but short on details about the pathway operation.

According to Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority (WDBA), multi-use path users “will be subject to the same cross-border travel requirements as those in a passenger or commercial vehicle.”

Trail users will need a passport, NEXUS card or other acceptable form of identification “and they will be processed by a customs officer accordingly,” said WDBA communications director Tara Carson.

Carson said the bridge design was revised in 2017 to include the planned multi-use path, a single 12-foot wide outside lane with two-way path traffic. Separate customs booths will process cyclists and pedestrians. Concrete barriers will separate path users from vehicles.
QZMP4KSMFRDPHDHZUMPDXJARLA.jpg

OMG I've always wished I could walk from suburban Windsor to southside Detroit, now I'll finally be able to! :rolleyes:

In seriousness though, this may be a good thing in the future, just completely useless for now.
It'll never be particularly busy, especially since it's an international crossing, but many border crossings have pedestrian options. Both the Peace and Rainbow Bridges have pedestrian crossings, I've considered doing an "international loop" bike ride before through Buffalo and back up to Niagara (that reminds me.. I should really do that this summer).

My understanding is that the Rainbow bridge can actually have somewhat decent pedestrian volumes, but that's because it's a short bridge between two downtowns with a sweet view when you are walking across.

There are a lot of people who like to do long distance bike rides and may want to cross the border in Detroit, for which there is no current option to.

It'll never be particularly busy, especially since it's an international crossing, but many border crossings have pedestrian options. Both the Peace and Rainbow Bridges have pedestrian crossings, I've considered doing an "international loop" bike ride before through Buffalo and back up to Niagara (that reminds me.. I should really do that this summer).

My understanding is that the Rainbow bridge can actually have somewhat decent pedestrian volumes, but that's because it's a short bridge between two downtowns with a sweet view when you are walking across.

There are a lot of people who like to do long distance bike rides and may want to cross the border in Detroit, for which there is no current option to.
Take the bus through the tunnel. Hourly I believe. Useful if attending events in DT Detroit.

Piece on the Bridge in BlogTO. As is to be expected from BlogTO, the initial paragraph and headline ("Motorists will soon have a new way to bypass the gridlocked Canada-United States border crossings between Detroit and Windsor.") makes a broad statement but there are no details of exactly when it will open!

Reactions: PL1

Back