News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Pedestrians & cyclists cannot use the Confederation Bridge, between PEI and New Brunswick.

From link.

Due to safety concerns, pedestrians and cyclists are not permitted on the Confederation Bridge. To accommodate these users, Bridge personnel operate a shuttle service from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. For pedestrians & cyclists who prefer to travel on their own schedule we also offer a self-serve shuttle option

Bridge shuttle personnel will collect round-trip fees of $4.75 per pedestrian and $9.50 per cyclist prior to departing Prince Edward Island.
2022 Toll Rates & Fees
Shuttle Service
Pedestrian $4.75
Cyclist $9.50
Pedestrian/Cyclist Baggage Fee
First Bag Free
Each Additional Bag $4.25

OMG I've always wished I could walk from suburban Windsor to southside Detroit, now I'll finally be able to! :rolleyes:

In seriousness though, this may be a good thing in the future, just completely useless for now.
There is a lot they can do with it on the Canadian side - there is a trail system that runs along the Herb Gray 401 Extension that this will hopefully connect to, in addition to Malden Park and the new proposed National Urban Park directly adjacent to the south of the Canadian border plaza.

Right now, though, the immediate surrounding area is pretty hostile to cycling. I sometimes see people biking on the shoulder of Ojibway Parkway and it just seems like such a terrifying experience. I had been over to the Detroit side of the bridge a handful of times as well and it’s even worse.

Right now, though, the immediate surrounding area is pretty hostile to cycling. I sometimes see people biking on the shoulder of Ojibway Parkway and it just seems like such a terrifying experience. I had been over to the Detroit side of the bridge a handful of times as well and it’s even worse.

The M Live article does say however that "On Sept., 9, officials in Michigan and Canada signed a memorandum of understanding to connect trails on either side of the border the new bridge over the Detroit River, which is scheduled to open by the end of 2024."

So it sounds to me like your biggest issue with it is being addressed; there's definitely more in the works than just a lane on the bridge with a customs booth at either end.

The 401's final end at I-75 in Detroit is taking shape.

20230619_DJI_0081-2.jpg

20230619132320_0001.jpg

20230619132355_0002.jpg

Pics from the Gordie Howe website.

He survived, but the description of how he acted when he was rescued makes it sound as if he suffered a traumatic brain injury and/or significant psychological trauma. Hopefully, he'll make a complete recovery.

Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen, and people who get into accidents like this one sometimes end up homeless and destitute if they don't have proper supports in place (in terms of finances and people to take care of them). Many homeless people actually had normal lives until they suffered traumatic brain injuries (often in construction accidents).

Aug 3
As it stands, both towers are at the same point going over the river. 11 support cables in place for the river and 14 for the rear with 14 more to go for the rear. Since I can't get close to the rear on the Canadian side like I can on the US side, assuming a few things for the Canadian Side.

One more pier support for the Canadian side and 3 more for the US side to complete the bridge up to the custom area. Canadian Custom Area is less than 50% of the US one.

The aerial shots above is one thing, seeing it at ground level is something else. The ramp to I-75 going south and the northbound ramp are missing a section on the east side and well advance than the other ramps.

The US side is installing 2 beams at a time as a box that they brace the beams on the pier first than add the main box beams.

Lot more when I get to them in my backlog and these are unfixed and untagged
133A6107.JPG

133A6044.JPG

133A6078.JPG

Last night, only the beam was on the support pier and by morning attached to the beams to the east of it, but not fully connected when I shot it. Missing bolts to hold it in place. They were placing the box beams together last night and lifted into position when I shot it. They had the road close last night to do the work as it has to be open during the day for the various plants next to the site. Was planning on getting the beam on the pier later on that night, but the road closure kill that idea
133A6069.JPG

133A6070.JPG

Aug 2 & 3 Photos now up on my site.
53138249873_6452fbf4eb_b.jpg

53137178172_fd438c7648_b.jpg

53137777291_d614952b2b_b.jpg

Where the steel ramp meets the earth in Windsor
53137972949_ffb05600e5_b.jpg

Canadian Customs
53137177627_2692e74def_b.jpg

53133176186_0fa1669e09_b.jpg

53137772496_ded301fc48_b.jpg

I-75 Ramp
53137173292_1173bb6bc5_b.jpg

Widening of I-75 with new bridges over it with cycle paths on them
53138244653_e8bedf3263_b.jpg

I'd love to see 401 highway signage on I75 in Detroit, with the bridge being signed as a part of the 401.

Somehow I suspect the 401 will officially "end" at the toll booth on the Canadian side.. but it would be kind of neat to see the "401" designation stretch into another country.

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to 137 getting resigned to I-81 either.. I know it's sort of co-signed right now, but that would be interesting.

Right now the Blue Water Bridge isn't signed for the highway on the opposite side at all (i.e. US side just says "BRIDGE TO CANADA" and the Canadian side says "BLUE WATER BRIDGE TO U.S.A.").. so I'm not hopeful.

I'd love to see 401 highway signage on I75 in Detroit, with the bridge being signed as a part of the 401.

Somehow I suspect the 401 will officially "end" at the toll booth on the Canadian side.. but it would be kind of neat to see the "401" designation stretch into another country.

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to 137 getting resigned to I-81 either.. I know it's sort of co-signed right now, but that would be interesting.

Right now the Blue Water Bridge isn't signed for the highway on the opposite side at all (i.e. US side just says "BRIDGE TO CANADA" and the Canadian side says "BLUE WATER BRIDGE TO U.S.A.").. so I'm not hopeful.

I also wish we'd put out-of-province cities on highway signage. It seems so provincial to put Cornwall on a sign indicating the distances to major cities along the 401 but not to include Montreal.

One more pier support for the Canadian side and 3 more for the US side to complete the bridge up to the custom area. Canadian Custom Area is less than 50% of the US one.
Curious why Canadian Customs is so much smaller, is that because so much more trade is US bound?

Curious why Canadian Customs is so much smaller, is that because so much more trade is US bound?
It something that struck me last year when I was able to see both side. More stuff being ship to the US than imported.

Even overhead shots show the same thing.

Back