News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

According to Adam Vaughn's website the project has been postponed from 2009 to "at least 2010"

I'm guessing that "at least 2010" means "they might figure out what they are doing by the end of 2010, figure out the tendering process, how to pay for it, and finally decide who won the bid by the end of 2011, construction starts 2012 with a possible completion in 2013, and utility companies will mess up the finished product in 2014 patching it poorly with asphalt.

If Bathurst is going to be closed for 4 months would it not make sense to make sure this work is scheduled for after the opening of the Bremner/Ft York connection? When is that anyway?

If Bathurst is going to be closed for 4 months would it not make sense to make sure this work is scheduled for after the opening of the Bremner/Ft York connection? When is that anyway?

Good idea EXCEPT that the two roads will be connected AS PART OF the bridge project.

Good idea EXCEPT that the two roads will be connected AS PART OF the bridge project.

I guess with the Amsterdam brewery right there there isn't even the possibilty of a temporary jog south for each of them? I have never seen a plan is there any road that is supposed to run north/south between Bremner and lakeshore east of Bathurst.....there are a lot of cars that come across Lakeshore in the morning then head north on Bathurst (either using Ft York or Fleet Street to get to Bathurst)...if they are all forced (even for 4 months) to go east to, either, Rees or York it will really bottleneck the Lakeshore.

Where did they get the 4 months to do this job???

This is 12+ months project if you are removing the steel beam and columns south of the Truss bridge to drop the road 3' to line up with the new road to the east. Fort York Blvd has to drop to connect to the new extension to the east.

Did they now decided not to go with the new design that will allow the 4 months closure??

Section of NB Bathurst St. closed until Nov. 20 for TTC track reconstruction
680News staff | Monday, October 19th, 2009 1:43 pm

TORONTO - Northbound Bathurst Street, from Lake Shore to Fort York boulevards, will be closed from October 19 to November 20 for TTC track reconstruction.

During the construction period, southbound traffic on Bathurst Street will be reduced to one lane.

Alternative routes include Fort York Boulevard and Strachan Avenue in the west, and Rees Street and Lower Simcoe Street in the east.

Doesn't look like they have got their act together yet. They are doing construction on the bridge and the lead tracks at different times. This looks a lot like the Fleet Street project where they spent time fixing streetcar tracks in advance of redoing the entire street just because the full project was taking too long to approve. It would make more sense to do everything at once since the bridge will be closed anyway.

TTC cannot wait any longer to replace the tracks as the emergency repairs are falling apart.

The whole track and road is in real bad shape.

The whole Fort York intersection will be rebuilt 100%. Fort York will be close to Bathurst St and expect to see longer delays.

Fleet St is been close to traffic these days as it been used as a parking lot for the construction workers and this is not going to help traffic.

The City sure doesn't know what it doing these days and time to do some house cleaning in getting its act together.

All!!!!..................What a few more 10's of thousand been wasted to do this work twice.

I am willing to bet that not a single forumer is surprised by this.

The only thing that surprised me was that on the 19th (the first day of the closure) with all of the commotion caused and with it apparant that Fort York would have to take more traffic......someone had gone ahead and allowed a permit to be issued for some tv/film shoot on Fort York in the middle of morning rush hour...yes it was isolated to one side of the street but the the visual distraction was enough to add, quite considerably, to the congestion.

I think everyone understands that road/track work is inevitable but when it becomes blatantly obvious that different departments within the city are not even talking to each other it gets a bit frustrating!

Some shots of the road look like before construction started and why now
IMG_oct-20-09-0110.jpg

IMG_oct-18-09-0235.jpg

IMG_oct-18-09-0224.jpg

IMG_oct-18-09-0237.jpg

According to the Friends of Fort York Newsletter ( http://www.fortyork.ca/newsletter/F&D_07-10.pdf ) :

"Rebuilding the Bathurst Street bridge is the third bridging project in Fort York’s vicinity. In 2008 an environmental assessment was approved for the southern, viaduct section between Fort York Boulevard and Front Street, allowing preliminary plans to be put before the City’s Design Review Panel. Unimpressed, the panel sent the design back for reworking. The TTC took that opportunity to ask for a change in the project scope to provide a dedicated transit right-of-way across the early 20th century steel-truss bridge spanning the rail corridor, avoiding the need for streetcars to share the road with cars, as at present. Options for widening or twinning the heritage truss have been studied, but nothing is approved yet. The City would need approval from the railways for any new structure. Although the heritage truss is grandfathered at its present height above the tracks, a new bridge may have to be higher to give enough clearance for the future electrification of the rail lines. Having to raise the heritage bridge would add to the costs and complexity of the project. Optimistically, construction on this project could start in 2015, after the Strachan bridge is rebuilt and the Pan Am Games are over."

My oh my...5 years to start, another 5 to finish, add a couple of dozen extra hi-rises to be built in the area, plus a couple of million people yearly using the Billy Bishop City Centre airport, let alone everything else happening in the hood...good luck getting around.

Back