News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Obviously just my opinion but people being more "squeezed" in day to day life, in addition to worsening traffic means people are making more high risk low reward moves. I see so many people not even slowing down at a red light when making a turn, etc.
Definitely the rise of daily aggravations are a significant factor, and while you say it's "low reward", sometimes beating the system one time, no matter how small the ultimate benefit becomes, is really a huge relative reward.
King Street violations are an example of this.

Definitely the rise of daily aggravations are a significant factor, and while you say it's "low reward", sometimes beating the system one time, no matter how small the ultimate benefit becomes, is really a huge relative reward.
King Street violations are an example of this.
Yeah, even much lower reward stuff like saving 5 seconds on a turn by skipping the stop for a red light seems so common now

Understanding this is going to be an interesting 3 years with this construction, I am of the opinion that although not in the immediate horizon when the go to replace the Spadina/Lakeshore section we are in for a larger ____ show. Zero spaces for staging construction and one of the busiest off-ramps the Gardiner has in both directions.

In saying that it seems like the planning/transportation department could have added some extra thought into alternate routes, lane closures etc.. Maybe even some pre planning work for the next stages of the Hybrid option which is the next elevated section to be redone.

Thoughts I had are below and look forward to a discussion on these, both for and against, plus alternatives.

Current Stage:
- extending right lane closure west bound so the Lakeshore Jameson on-ramp can be open at all times and the right lane can be an extended on-ramp for that traffic not having to merge.
- I am unsure why they closed the Jameson on-ramp yet chose to leave the Lakeshore one at the light open as it feels like a worse traffic backup turning left there.
-extra phased light for the west-bound traffic coming down at the Sherbourne off-ramp as the backup and lane switching maneuvers with the Jarvis on-ramp traffic backing up on lakeshore with the lane barriers splitting the roadway in that section.

Hybrid Stage with DVP ramps:
- Look into Bayview and Richmond off-ramps for two lane exiting and widening pre ramp demolition as these are the only 2 south-bound exits and will probably be 10 times worse than the Allen Rd at Eglinton ramp.
- Maybe there is an option to temporarily widen two lanes up to Bloor from the Bayview off-ramp to have more car stacking.
- Adelaide/Eastern on-ramp temporary option for two lanes onto the DVP when construction has only Lakeshore access north. (If that's the case and way they phase it).

I'm sure I have more and sometimes feel like I'd be a good traffic planner, but didn't go to school for that haha. I have submitted some downtown lane options/issues to the city though with a couple minor ones implemented. Just feels like they don't think in more broader terms and preparations for the construction projects in the city overall. Budget is an obvious issue, but gridlock might be equal to or worse for the cities bottom line.

Thoughts? And thanks for taking the time to read this! Cheers.

Understanding this is going to be an interesting 3 years with this construction, I am of the opinion that although not in the immediate horizon when the go to replace the Spadina/Lakeshore section we are in for a larger ____ show. Zero spaces for staging construction and one of the busiest off-ramps the Gardiner has in both directions.

At some point the City of Toronto will need to say tough s*** and work around the clock, 7 days a week to get this done.

Right now, they are more concerned about the impacts on local residents but public opinion is quickly changing in that regard. By the time we get to Spadina and Lakeshore, there will be enough p****d off people to have the work expedited.

Trust me when I say.. this work will not last 3 years with an election coming up long before then. Olivia Chow does not want to be the Mayor who caused traffic catastrophes while Doug Ford will want to score some points during the next election in 2026.

The first person to get the Gardiner Construction wrapped up will win over alot of voters.

Trust me when I say.. this work will not last 3 years with an election coming up long before then. Olivia Chow does not want to be the Mayor who caused traffic catastrophes while Doug Ford will want to score some points during the next election in 2026.

The first person to get the Gardiner Construction wrapped up will win over alot of voters.
Some will say otherwise but it seems to me that our mayor’s hands are clean. The Gardiner has been uploaded to provincial responsibility as well a significant portion of the impacted population don’t vote in Toronto.

J
The SUV trend itself, whether electric or ICE, is a problem. It means an overall heavier average vehicle weight of all vehicles on the road.

I think that people tend to underestimate the weight difference between EVs and their ICE counterparts.

‘To further complicate matters, weight gain is even more of an issue for EVs. The Detroit News recently noted that “the starting weight of an electric Hyundai Kona is 28% heavier than the gas-powered model, and the Nissan Leaf is 35% heavier than the starting weight of its gas-powered equivalent.”

“[Jennifer] Homendy [chair of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board] said electric models from Ford, Volvo and Toyota were all roughly 33 per cent heavier than the gas-powered versions of the same vehicles.”

But unlikely to stop the weight creep that’s been happening for decades. In general, we’ve been making cars heavier and heavier, regardless of whether they’re ICE or EV.

Lighter batteries are likely to spur a demand for longer ranges on EVs (regardless of what actual usage patterns require). Which means even bigger batteries.

In addition, lighter batteries will increase costs and prices in a market that’s seen a 10-20% price increase every year since 2019.

The average price of a new car sold in 2024: ~$67k.
The average price of a new car sold in 2019: ~$40

Despite this new car sales right now are still far behind pre-pandemic numbers and are trending downward. The reason why the SUV and truck markets have increased as a share and been marketed like crazy; they have bigger profit margins that help offset the drop in sales. Some manufacturers have dropped previously-successful low-margin subcompacts entirely in favour of higher margin SUVS.
I'm sure folks will groan at me mentioning it. But EV robotaxis are coming. They will likely be two passenger, lighter vehicles. There will be some larger vehicles as well for larger groups or longer distances, but most trips are fine with a smaller two seater.

At some point the City of Toronto will need to say tough s*** and work around the clock, 7 days a week to get this done.

Right now, they are more concerned about the impacts on local residents but public opinion is quickly changing in that regard. By the time we get to Spadina and Lakeshore, there will be enough p****d off people to have the work expedited.

Yeah this feels very much to be spiraling like the Pearson Airport debacle of 2022 where, regardless of reasons or explanations, true or untrue, it is inevitably going to turn into a frenzied outrage fed by the media.

studies have shown that while SUVs are worse for pedestrian safety, it's only a marginal contributing factor.

IIRC the shift to SUVs in the US market has resulted in something like "only" 20-50 additional pedestrian deaths a year. The theory is that there are other contributing factors to skyrocketing pedestrian deaths - honestly I think more of it has to do where Americans are living (southern, extremely pedestrian hostile environments), distracted driving, much higher vehicle speeds (ESPECIALLY in urban areas), and lower levels of enforcement of both driver behavior and vehicle maintenance.

Also - Pedestrian deaths in Canada have been largely falling - going from 304 in 2017 to 280 in 2021:

The difference between Canadian and US traffic fatality rates couldn't be more stark - they are a world apart. Canadian traffic fatalities continue to trend substantially downward, even for pedestrians, while US numbers are increasing.
A video discussing the trend of increasing hood heights (for aesthetic reasons) that is likely contributing a great deal to the increase in pedestrian deaths. It's not explainable by increasing vehicle weights as on the scale of a pedestrian, 2 tonnes or 3 tonnes is a moot point.

studies have shown that while SUVs are worse for pedestrian safety, it's only a marginal contributing factor.

IIRC the shift to SUVs in the US market has resulted in something like "only" 20-50 additional pedestrian deaths a year.
I dunno about that.

[In the US] "One of the studies, from 2021, estimates 8,131 pedestrians between 2000 and 2019 could have survived if they were struck by sedans instead of SUVs or trucks.

Another study, published in the Journal of Safety Research in June, found that while SUVs and trucks made up just 26.1 per cent of pedestrian and cyclist collisions, they accounted for 44.1 per cent of fatalities. That study also suggested that because of their larger size, SUVs and trucks are more likely to hit vulnerable road users in the chest or head than a sedan."

Even extrapolating that first study, that's more 400 extra deaths per year due to SUVs/Pickups.

Here in Toronto, we had 26 pedestrian deaths in 2021.

"In 2021, approximately 35 per cent of those deaths in Toronto involved SUVs while another 10 per cent involved pickup trucks, he said."

I don't think anyone can call 35% (45% if you include pickups) "marginal". Small data set perhaps, but it tracks with everything else that gets put out about pedestrian deaths.

Also - Pedestrian deaths in Canada have been largely falling - going from 304 in 2017 to 280 in 2021:

We also had two years of pandemic in there, where there were less overall cars on the road and less interactions in general.

"The number of vehicle occupant deaths has dramatically decreased in the past 20 years, while walking and cycling deaths have stayed the same or increased, he added.""

Last edited:
I'm sure folks will groan at me mentioning it. But EV robotaxis are coming. They will likely be two passenger, lighter vehicles. There will be some larger vehicles as well for larger groups or longer distances, but most trips are fine with a smaller two seater.
It's funny you bring that up; just yesterday…

Honestly, years ago I was quite bullish on the idea of self-driving vehicles. In the years since however, it just seems like it's never going to get to a usable point without serious government-infrastructure-level guard rails and as of now still requires human intervention or "remote operators".

Frankly, a smaller two seater is fine for most car owners on the road these days; a compact four seater enough for most families. People "over buy" the amount of car for 99% of their needs. They buy too many seats, too much trunk, too much horsepower, too much range, "towing power", etc. Car purchases are rarely made pragmatically, and manufacturers depend on that. Why do you think they're marketed on "freedom and feels"?

It's funny you bring that up; just yesterday…

Honestly, years ago I was quite bullish on the idea of self-driving vehicles. In the years since however, it just seems like it's never going to get to a usable point without serious government-infrastructure-level guard rails and as of now still requires human intervention or "remote operators".

Frankly, a smaller two seater is fine for most car owners on the road these days; a compact four seater enough for most families. People "over buy" the amount of car for 99% of their needs. They buy too many seats, too much trunk, too much horsepower, too much range, "towing power", etc. Car purchases are rarely made pragmatically, and manufacturers depend on that. Why do you think they're marketed on "freedom and feels"?
Let people buy what they want? So what if they don't use every single feature. I own a 2 seater and it's great 90% of the time and horrrrrrrible for 10%.

A video discussing the trend of increasing hood heights (for aesthetic reasons) that is likely contributing a great deal to the increase in pedestrian deaths. It's not explainable by increasing vehicle weights as on the scale of a pedestrian, 2 tonnes or 3 tonnes is a moot point.

Except that there's a kinetic energy calculation that applies to all vehicle crash related injury, based on speed and mass.

The sum of kinetic energy is important in determining an injury severity and that is equal to one half of the vehicle mass multiplied by the square of the vehicle speed

Even when separating out SUV/Pickup class vehicles, weight does matter.

"For the average U.S. metro area, a 100 kilogram increase in vehicle size corresponded to a statistically significant 2.4 percent increase in pedestrian fatalities. The impact of light trucks (again: SUVs, pick-ups, and minivans) was even more significant. In an average metro area, for every 10 percent of vehicles that rose in size to light trucks, there was a 3.6 percent increase in the pedestrian fatality rate."

Except that there's a kinetic energy calculation that applies to all vehicle crash related injury, based on speed and mass.

The sum of kinetic energy is important in determining an injury severity and that is equal to one half of the vehicle mass multiplied by the square of the vehicle speed

Even when separating out SUV/Pickup class vehicles, weight does matter.

"For the average U.S. metro area, a 100 kilogram increase in vehicle size corresponded to a statistically significant 2.4 percent increase in pedestrian fatalities. The impact of light trucks (again: SUVs, pick-ups, and minivans) was even more significant. In an average metro area, for every 10 percent of vehicles that rose in size to light trucks, there was a 3.6 percent increase in the pedestrian fatality rate."

What do you propose? Telling people what size car they can buy based on postal code?

Back