News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Honestly, years ago I was quite bullish on the idea of self-driving vehicles. In the years since however, it just seems like it's never going to get to a usable point without serious government-infrastructure-level guard rails and as of now still requires human intervention or "remote operators".
Never is a long time.

Let people buy what they want? So what if they don't use every single feature. I own a 2 seater and it's great 90% of the time and horrrrrrrible for 10%.
If you're renting a ride, 2 seaters work. If you need more space, you pay a bit of a premium and get more space.

Except that there's a kinetic energy calculation that applies to all vehicle crash related injury, based on speed and mass.

The sum of kinetic energy is important in determining an injury severity and that is equal to one half of the vehicle mass multiplied by the square of the vehicle speed

Even when separating out SUV/Pickup class vehicles, weight does matter.

"For the average U.S. metro area, a 100 kilogram increase in vehicle size corresponded to a statistically significant 2.4 percent increase in pedestrian fatalities. The impact of light trucks (again: SUVs, pick-ups, and minivans) was even more significant. In an average metro area, for every 10 percent of vehicles that rose in size to light trucks, there was a 3.6 percent increase in the pedestrian fatality rate."

The difference in mass is not sufficient to explain the increase in pedestrian mortality.

Did the analysis above control for vehicle geometry, or is it confounded with weight?

If you're renting a ride, 2 seaters work. If you need more space, you pay a bit of a premium and get more space.
No, I'm pointing out Zang is being incredibly silly thinking he knows better what car people should buy vs the owners. I have a 2 seat car and it isn't as rugged as a truck. I've paid $5000 for vehicle repairs due to crap roads (suspension, windshields, bent wheels etc) the city and province have given back $0. Ironically my friends in trucks have paid $0 for those types of repairs. The fact I can't carry a pet, a couch, or even a TV is probably enough for most people to buy more a bigger car.

The height of the front is the key issue. I'm not sure why they don't simply mandate some impact standards on the front, that are based on pedestrian survivability. Lower points that throw you up instead of down. Crushability.

I dunno about that.

[In the US] "One of the studies, from 2021, estimates 8,131 pedestrians between 2000 and 2019 could have survived if they were struck by sedans instead of SUVs or trucks.

Another study, published in the Journal of Safety Research in June, found that while SUVs and trucks made up just 26.1 per cent of pedestrian and cyclist collisions, they accounted for 44.1 per cent of fatalities. That study also suggested that because of their larger size, SUVs and trucks are more likely to hit vulnerable road users in the chest or head than a sedan."

Even extrapolating that first study, that's more 400 extra deaths per year due to SUVs/Pickups.

Here in Toronto, we had 26 pedestrian deaths in 2021.

"In 2021, approximately 35 per cent of those deaths in Toronto involved SUVs while another 10 per cent involved pickup trucks, he said."

I don't think anyone can call 35% (45% if you include pickups) "marginal". Small data set perhaps, but it tracks with everything else that gets put out about pedestrian deaths.

We also had two years of pandemic in there, where there were less overall cars on the road and less interactions in general.

"The number of vehicle occupant deaths has dramatically decreased in the past 20 years, while walking and cycling deaths have stayed the same or increased, he added.""

The trend has definitely slowed - but it's still declining. We broke below 300 pedestrian deaths for the first time in 2020, and that was repeated in 2022 with only 294 pedestrian deaths.

going back 20 years to 2002, pedestrian deaths were at 363:

This is a difference of about 19%. Per-capita, the decline is even greater. Canada grew from 31.2 million to 38.7 million in that time - 24%. Per-capita, that's a pedestrian death rate decline of 35%, going from 1.16 deaths per 100,000 to 0.76 deaths per 100,000! In 26 years, it's even greater, with the pedestrian death rate per capita being less than half in 2022 than in 1996 (0.76/100,000 vs. 1.6/100,000)

Also - Canada enjoys one of the lower road fatality rates in the western world on miles-travelled:

1715803787529.png

Definitely possible to improve, but we are doing better than even the illustrious Netherlands.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbt
The height of the front is the key issue. I'm not sure why they don't simply mandate some impact standards on the front, that are based on pedestrian survivability. Lower points that throw you up instead of down. Crushability.
I don't disagree with this. Full size pickup trucks front hoods are absolutely ridiculous these days and are absolutely a threat to pedestrian safety.

That said - Canada isn't really seeing substantial increases in pedestrian or road deaths. At all. It's actually going the other way pretty consistently. Doesn't mean we can't do better though.

Sure, why not give it a try. Free Market Capitalism and Libertarianism has done squat to help save pedestrians from vehicle deaths.
So then, what are your courses of action for people who live in the city but need a larger vehicle for work? What about people who have pets, what about people who have cottages, etc.

Sweeping restrictions don’t really help anybody.

Sure, why not give it a try. Free Market Capitalism and Libertarianism has done squat to help save pedestrians from vehicle deaths.
I mean look at my post above. Pedestrian fatality rates have been halved in 25 years.

A lot of that is attributable to efforts greater than "free market capitalism" - but the automotive markets safety features are a massive, massive reason (much of which is in response to legislation, much of which is genuine market innovation) for the massive reduction in road deaths and injuries.

So then, what are your courses of action for people who live in the city but need a larger vehicle for work? What about people who have pets, what about people who have cottages, etc.

Perhaps everyone should own a cube van for the times they might move house?

They could do that, or they could just rent for the times they need more. Is it that oppressive a concept?

Sweeping restrictions don’t really help anybody.
Funny how I can't legally buy a car without seatbelts, or drive whatever speed I want.

Perhaps everyone should own a cube van for the times they might move house?

They could do that, or they could just rent for the times they need more. Is it that oppressive a concept?

Funny how I can't legally buy a car without seatbelts, or drive whatever speed I want.
Why strawman the argument? I trust people enough to buy something that makes sense for them.

My point about sweeping rules was that everyone’s situation is unique enough that I think a general rule on what cars you can own would need to have so many exceptions it would be pointless.

I dunno about that.

[In the US] "One of the studies, from 2021, estimates 8,131 pedestrians between 2000 and 2019 could have survived if they were struck by sedans instead of SUVs or trucks.

Another study, published in the Journal of Safety Research in June, found that while SUVs and trucks made up just 26.1 per cent of pedestrian and cyclist collisions, they accounted for 44.1 per cent of fatalities. That study also suggested that because of their larger size, SUVs and trucks are more likely to hit vulnerable road users in the chest or head than a sedan."

Even extrapolating that first study, that's more 400 extra deaths per year due to SUVs/Pickups.

Here in Toronto, we had 26 pedestrian deaths in 2021.

"In 2021, approximately 35 per cent of those deaths in Toronto involved SUVs while another 10 per cent involved pickup trucks, he said."

I don't think anyone can call 35% (45% if you include pickups) "marginal". Small data set perhaps, but it tracks with everything else that gets put out about pedestrian deaths.

We also had two years of pandemic in there, where there were less overall cars on the road and less interactions in general.

"The number of vehicle occupant deaths has dramatically decreased in the past 20 years, while walking and cycling deaths have stayed the same or increased, he added.""

That's 427 fatalities a year, correct.

But that's only if all SUVs were replaced with cars.

SUVs and trucks aren't new though. they have increased as a percentage of the vehicle fleet substantially, but have always existed. They have gone from about 10% of the total fleet to 30% since the SUV trend started around 2010. So only a small fraction of those would be associated with the increase in the prevalence of SUVs.

If SUVs are about 1.7x as likely to cause a fatality as the study suggests, the total fatality risk of the entire US vehicle fleet has actually increased about 13% since 2010. This suggests bringing SUVs back to a percentage of the total fleet they were 15 years ago would result in a 13% reduction in pedestrian fatalities. In the US.

The Canadian market is different, very, very different, when it comes to this kind of thing both in terms of average vehicle size and death rates.

Last edited:
Did the analysis above control for vehicle geometry, or is it confounded with weight?
Most of the referenced data is from 2000-2008, before the massive rise in SUVs. It's still basic physics though, that an object with more mass will transfer more energy to whatever it strikes.

I mean look at my post above. Pedestrian fatality rates have been halved in 25 years.

A lot of that is attributable to efforts greater than "free market capitalism" - but the automotive markets safety features are a massive, massive reason (much of which is in response to legislation, much of which is genuine market innovation) for the massive reduction in road deaths and injuries.
I'd like to find a study that actually finds that people buy cars that are safer for the pedestrians they may hit.

Most studies about driver behaviour has the majority of drivers believing they're a better driver than most others on the road. It's unlikely a purchase is calculated on "what if I'm not better"?

Back