News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I would absolutely support tolling highways, but I worry that if by doing so without supplementing transit say bus or rail, that those forms of transportation will have issues coping with the influx of new passengers daily. We could also suggest having people carpool, but everyone hates everyone, or hates the idea of carpooling if someone doesn't show up on time, or something else happens.

If however, they toll it, and there's significant traffic, then you've got cash flow to fix much of the highway, which is great to think about.

It would be quite the undertaking if they double decked the gardiner, but as I said in my previous post re: work on the 410, it feels like they're just adding more lanes, but vertically, without doing anything to help maybe cut down on traffic going in or out of the city every day at 3:30PM. Then again, I don't know what they could do that would reasonably alleviate it. It feels like they'd need a conductor leading a symphony in order to direct traffic rather than the reliance of traffic signals telling everyone what to do.
I don't know why people keep bringing up tolls? Might as well bring up flying cars as nobody politically will touch it.

We also do have special constables directing traffic and trying to manage the flow of turning cars, pedestrians and vehicles going straight (lakeshore to gardiner)

I don't know why people keep bringing up tolls? Might as well bring up flying cars as nobody politically will touch it.

We also do have special constables directing traffic and trying to manage the flow of turning cars, pedestrians and vehicles going straight (lakeshore to gardiner)
Oh, and I agree. People will bring up tolls but not consider the pressure it adds onto transportation due to those tolls being added. Instead of bringing up flying cars, you could instead suggest that it would cause strain on public transportation due to constraints with staffing, and having enough fleet to deal with the influx of travelling passengers to avoid the tolls, which is what I brought up in the first place.

Oh, and I agree. People will bring up tolls but not consider the pressure it adds onto transportation due to those tolls being added. Instead of bringing up flying cars, you could instead suggest that it would cause strain on public transportation due to constraints with staffing, and having enough fleet to deal with the influx of travelling passengers to avoid the tolls, which is what I brought up in the first place.
Won't anyone think of the cars?!

C'mon. Transit systems still aren't back to pre-pandemic levels in most cases, so there's already room to grow. Additionally, tolling with the specific intent of supplementing subsidy to transit seems more than doable, as many cities have done/already do that.

To be honest, if money goes to improving transit (speed, reliability and affordability), the majority of the complaints will be from entitled car owners – not people who just want to get where they're going on time.

What makes toll roads so unpopular in Canada? Seems like tolls are pretty widely accepted everywhere else, even the US, more so than they are here.
Tolls are pretty unpopular in the US, even if they are more common. Texas has had some big state level politics about it lately as the state had been relying on tolls for most major road project fundings over the last decade and people were starting to push back now that all the projects are opening. I believe the governor recently banned new toll roads I believe.

I think Canada just has very few examples to rely on. Outside of a small number of bridges, there are almost no toll roads left in Canada which are not border crossings.. and the 407 is the only big one left. As a result when Canadians think of road tolls they think of the 407 with it's $0.60/km rate plus camera charge and account fees.

Most other places realize road tolls are more like I-90 in New York, where it's a couple of cents a km with no additional charges on top.

Still - most US road tolls and tolls in general across the globe are designed to finance infrastructure, not limit demand. Urban tolling in the GTA, be it the 407 or the Gardiner Expressway, would be more intended for congestion management and that means tolls more in line with the 407 than I-90. And that is wildly unpopular.

What makes toll roads so unpopular in Canada? Seems like tolls are pretty widely accepted everywhere else, even the US, more so than they are here.
Basically because the 407 exists, every mention of a toll road in ontario at least is impossible.

For example even the 412 and 418 were like $0.3/km before they were removed.
the government owned highways were bad too.

Tolls are pretty unpopular in the US, even if they are more common. Texas has had some big state level politics about it lately as the state had been relying on tolls for most major road project fundings over the last decade and people were starting to push back now that all the projects are opening. I believe the governor recently banned new toll roads I believe.

I think Canada just has very few examples to rely on. Outside of a small number of bridges, there are almost no toll roads left in Canada which are not border crossings.. and the 407 is the only big one left. As a result when Canadians think of road tolls they think of the 407 with it's $0.60/km rate plus camera charge and account fees.

Most other places realize road tolls are more like I-90 in New York, where it's a couple of cents a km with no additional charges on top.

Still - most US road tolls and tolls in general across the globe are designed to finance infrastructure, not limit demand. Urban tolling in the GTA, be it the 407 or the Gardiner Expressway, would be more intended for congestion management and that means tolls more in line with the 407 than I-90. And that is wildly unpopular.

Not to mention, tolling impacts the poorer middle class population the most, which is the demo that all political parties must at least appear to be catering too. And the problem there if course, is that people in this group cannot afford to live in a family size home with good transit connections, so, any tolling impacts them by either making their life more unaffordable, or drastically reducing any free time they have by increasing their travel time via transit. As always, this is a housing problem, and the solution is unpalatable to any of the political parties.

Not to mention, tolling impacts the poorer middle class population the most, which is the demo that all political parties must at least appear to be catering too. And the problem there if course, is that people in this group cannot afford to live in a family size home with good transit connections, so, any tolling impacts them by either making their life more unaffordable, or drastically reducing any free time they have by increasing their travel time via transit. As always, this is a housing problem, and the solution is unpalatable to any of the political parties.
Rental and home prices are pretty unaffordable across the entirety of the GTA. Further outside the major population centres (say travelling from Shelburne to Toronto) they're going to be paying an inordinate amount in gas every week anyhow. Low-middle class stand to benefit most from money going into transit. Reliance on over-paying for transportation is a real thing here in Canada. Owning a car in any community in the largest population zone in the country shouldn't have to be mandatory for anyone. Any change will bring short-term pain for those involved, no doubt. People need time to adjust, but fearing that has been half of the political problem here in the province. Drivers suffer anyway when we do nothing and still have to repair road damage (see the current Gardiner woes).

When given the option to take fast, efficient transit, most will take it. It's ultimately the stalwarts who refuse to give up using their cars are the ones who will suffer. And they are exactly the people targeted with tolls.

Even the Financial Post has gone to bat for tolls to ease costs:

Won't anyone think of the cars?!

C'mon. Transit systems still aren't back to pre-pandemic levels in most cases, so there's already room to grow. Additionally, tolling with the specific intent of supplementing subsidy to transit seems more than doable, as many cities have done/already do that.

To be honest, if money goes to improving transit (speed, reliability and affordability), the majority of the complaints will be from entitled car owners – not people who just want to get where they're going on time.
We have the biggest transit expansion in our history, for the first time we have an effective transit co-fare, and tens of billions being spent on transit projects. Is there anyone actually complaining aside from Joe on Facebook?

Most of the TTC's ineffectiveness is self induced, telling constables not to enforce rules, slowly driving through intersections with streetcars. The liberals and cons both shot down tolls. Why bother bringing it up?

Tolls are inevitable, but the type of people hanging around here are generally the type of people who want to see it happen sooner rather than later.

Back