40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Metrolinx, are you watching?
Metrolinx

1721084443745.gif

Heavy rain - Gardiner flooding again. 9:30
IMG_6614.jpeg

Maybe they need to rethink the drains or slope in this area at Church/Cooper Bent 242 & 243.
IMG_6616.jpeg

IMG_6621.jpeg

They were cleaning on June 19 after the rain on June 18.
IMG_6622.jpeg

Because this happens 10:13 Ambulance required too. :(
IMG_3416.jpeg

EB “Safety” vehicle - not so safe - while the red lights are still flashing. Maybe testing the water depth and throw?
IMG_6618.jpeg

Until the next flash flood 11:30

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    906.7 KB · Views: 3
Heavy rain - Gardiner flooding again. 9:30
View attachment 580784

Maybe they need to rethink the drains or slope in this area at Church/Cooper Bent 242 & 243.View attachment 580783

View attachment 580790

They were cleaning on June 19 after the rain on June 18.
View attachment 580789

Because this happens 10:13 Ambulance required too. :(
View attachment 580785

EB “Safety” vehicle - not so safe - while the red lights are still flashing. Maybe testing the water depth and throw?
View attachment 580781

Until the next flash flood 11:30
I think the main problem for the flooding is the drain system. The gardiner has these strips that run along the expressway, which directs water that falls into it, to the sides of the gardiner where it leads down to the support columns, where we see the tubes, which lead to the ground. I’ve watched some videos of when they close the expressway for spring cleaning and they usually get rid of a lot of dirt between the strip, because it’s pretty small, as to not make car rides bumpy. I’m thinking those have been clogged with dirt, and aren’t functioning properly. Hopefully they can clean them and get them working fully again? Here is a picture of one.

IMG_8909.jpeg

I’ve also always watched those drains under the gardiner, either the white or grey ones, flooding. On the parts of the gardiner that they have completely rebuilt it, they got rid of the big drain things and just replaced it with tubes.

Update, they’ve closed the Gardiner Expressway east of Jarvis St off-ramp. Every vehicle is getting off that ramp, as there are no cars driving east of it. Some work vehicles were seen driving slowly and workers cleaning the drains. There are still some flooded spots.

IMG_8921.jpeg

IMG_8922.jpeg

IMG_8923.jpeg

IMG_8924.jpeg

IMG_8925.jpeg

IMG_8926.jpeg

IMG_8927.jpeg

That’s a lot of water.

IMG_8928.jpeg

No vehicles, just the Jarvis off-ramp. Westbound is still open.

IMG_8929.jpeg

I think the main problem for the flooding is the drain system. The gardiner has these strips that run along the expressway, which directs water that falls into it, to the sides of the gardiner where it leads down to the support columns, where we see the tubes, which lead to the ground. I’ve watched some videos of when they close the expressway for spring cleaning and they usually get rid of a lot of dirt between the strip, because it’s pretty small, as to not make car rides bumpy. I’m thinking those have been clogged with dirt, and aren’t functioning properly. Hopefully they can clean them and get them working fully again? Here is a picture of one.

View attachment 580806

I’ve also always watched those drains under the gardiner, either the white or grey ones, flooding. On the parts of the gardiner that they have completely rebuilt it, they got rid of the big drain things and just replaced it with tubes.
They were definitely plugged again since the clean out on June 19.
Crew manually cleaning it out now.
IMG_3428.jpeg

IMG_6625.jpeg

Lots of debris on the road that pooled in the area.
IMG_6626.jpeg

The new Jarvis EB on ramp is finally open!!! Oh…wait… wrong way. :)
IMG_6627.jpeg

11:41 update
2 cars and 1 in the wake
IMG_6628.jpeg

There was a car hiding in there. Yikes.
IMG_6629.jpeg

IMG_6630.jpeg

I guess these drains won’t stay clear for too long. Still lots of debris. Until the next heaven rain fall.
IMG_6631.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6633.jpeg

Centre drain somewhere in there.
IMG_6634.jpeg

Back to work! The centre drain is still plugged.
IMG_6635.jpeg

Dundas camera out of service. Water issue or public image?
IMG_6636.jpeg

Hopefully the earlier accident wasn’t too serious. It should be avoidable or less frequent ponding.

1:52
image.jpg

View attachment 580830

View attachment 580829

View attachment 580828

View attachment 580827

2 cars and 1 in the wakeView attachment 580826

View attachment 580825

View attachment 580859

I guess these drains won’t stay clear for too long. Still lots of debris. Until the next heaven rain fall.
View attachment 580851

View attachment 580852

View attachment 580853

View attachment 580854

View attachment 580855

View attachment 580856

Hopefully the earlier accident wasn’t too serious. It should be avoidable or less frequent ponding.

View attachment 580860
Those drains definitely need to be rethought… They are tiny!
Haha, I remember a couple years back there was a complete standstill east, and people just made a u-turn and started exiting the expressway using that ramp. Wrong way, again.

View attachment 580830

View attachment 580829

View attachment 580828

View attachment 580827

2 cars and 1 in the wakeView attachment 580826

View attachment 580825

View attachment 580859

View attachment 580851

View attachment 580852

View attachment 580853

View attachment 580854

View attachment 580855

View attachment 580856

View attachment 580860
Those drains definitely need to be rethought… They are tiny!
Haha, I remember a couple years back there was a complete standstill east, and people just made a u-turn and started exiting the expressway using that ramp. Wrong way, again.
Thanks for taking all the photos! Every time I drive on lakeshore and the tiniest bit of rain happened I'll see the water over flowing out of the boxes on top of the bents

Tear the sucker down as its so outdated. You want to drive in the city, then be prepared for slow going.

What are these car folks going to do when another 100,000 car show up over the next 20 years to make things worse???

Tear the sucker down as its so outdated. You want to drive in the city, then be prepared for slow going.

What are these car folks going to do when another 100,000 car show up over the next 20 years to make things worse???
They will overflow onto the local roads and make traffic hostile and/or unsafe for pedestrians and streetcars. Is this what we want to encourage?

They will overflow onto the local roads and make traffic hostile and/or unsafe for pedestrians and streetcars. Is this what we want to encourage?

No they won't.

If the Gardiner terminated at any logical point prior to downtown from the west, there are only two spots, the closest to downtown, and not ideal would be the Humber bridges. Given the level of traffic on Lakeshore and the Queensway/Queen now in peak periods, few people if any would sustain the choice to drive that stretch, it would take hours daily, per direction. The other logical point would be at the 427, from which the diversion to Lakeshore is even more problematic and longer in distance, and the Queensway just longer.

One could fairly debate the merits of a teardown given the cost...........and to be clear, a tear down isn't going happen at this point from Jarvis westward, for the foreseeable future.......but spillover is a non-issue. .

To add, traffic on the Gardiner east of Jarvis is comparatively light, mostly flowing over Lakeshore, or via the Eastern/Adelaide/Richmond ramp complex off of DVP.

The centre drain on bent 242 is almost clear, 9 hours later. I’ll report back on the next storm I guess. We missed the 7pm storm/wave tonight.

They probably need to go through the drain clean-out which could require a night-time lane closure on Lake Shore.
I’m surprised the drain is still dripping onto the lakeshore 5-6 hours after the rain stopped. I guess the cars would normally vaporize the pond.

9:20pm
IMG_3501.jpeg

IMG_3502.jpeg

6:39pm!!!! Maybe they were working above to clear the back-up.
IMG_3494.jpeg

Not a thing of beauty.
IMG_3496.jpeg

Back