News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Agree with both of you! As much as I'd love to see the Gardiner torn down as quick as possible, we can't move forward until we have a DRL or some form of proper transit infrastructure!

This isn't a problem.

The increased all day GO service alone will easily offset any lost transportation capacity from the demolition of the Gardiner several times over.

In the next few years, we'll have Automatic Train Control on our YUS Subway, adding even more capacity to the transportation network in the area.

And the Relief Line looks like it will be opening around 2022 (still needs to be finalized), mere years after the Gardiner East comes down.

Even a simple streetcar line on Lakeshore would easily offset lost road capacity

Where did you get this from?

That is the current schedule, assuming there are no interruptions in the process and the province comes through with funding.

GO also has a number of capacity boosts planned for for that area, including additional peak trains and all-day service on the Stouffville line in 2018; again dependent on the new transit taxation coming through.

Oddly enough, Toronto can't easily afford to fix Gardiner without a tax bump to pay for it.

Last edited:
Where did you get this from?

If you go through some old Metrolinx documents they've listed 2025 as the tentative completion date for the Relief Line. More recent documents Metrolinx's Transit Investment Strategy Advisory Panel recommends a 2023 completion date for the Relief Line. (I incorrectly said 2022 in my earlier post)

Metrolinx isn't obligated to follow the Panel's recommendations but I don't think they'll deviate too much from it. Regardless we should be seeing the Relief Line in 2023 - 2025.

That is the current schedule, assuming there are no interruptions in the process and the province comes through with funding.

Well it seems a bit premature to me, but if it actually happens I'll be really happy. That's only 2 years after Eglinton opens. Toronto will be on a transit building frenzy!

Well it seems a bit premature to me, but if it actually happens I'll be really happy. That's only 2 years after Eglinton opens. Toronto will be on a transit building frenzy!

If the province puts transit taxes in the spring budget, and it passes, then yes; there will be a massive transit building frenzy for the following 10 years.

And the Relief Line looks like it will be opening around 2022 (still needs to be finalized), mere years after the Gardiner East comes down.

Ha! We'll be lucky if the Scarborough Subway is built by then! There's no ETA for the DRL because there is *no* DRL plan at the moment (or rather, there are dozens of them but absolutely nothing is decided)

I remember a few months ago in the Relief Line thread UT members were taking guesses on when it would be completed. 2027 - 2030 seemed to be the consensus (assuming design work began ASAP). I suppose the long gap between approval and construction for the ECLRT made everyone a little conservative about their estimates for the Relief Line.

2027-2030 seems about right to me too. Just curious, were those guesses inclusive of the western part of the DRL, or just the eastern part (up to Pape) that is presumed to be the first part of construction?

2027-2030 seems about right to me too. Just curious, were those guesses inclusive of the western part of the DRL, or just the eastern part (up to Pape) that is presumed to be the first part of construction?

The $7.4 Billion Relief Line is approximately 13 km in length. That will build either Dundas West to Pape via Downtown or Downtown to Eglinton-Don Mills. Presumably the 2023 ETA is for the 13 km Relief Line as that is what Metrolinx intends to build.

The $7.4 Billion Relief Line is approximately 13 km in length. That will build either Dundas West to Pape via Downtown or Downtown to Eglinton-Don Mills. Presumably the 2023 ETA is for the 13 km Relief Line as that is what Metrolinx intends to build.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm guessing 2027 for the eastern part to be done. If it's going to take 9 years to build 6.5km of subway in Scarborough where its relatively much less dense (not to mention fully funded), I can't imagine that the twice-as-long DRL is going to get fully planned, EA'ed, funded, and built in the same or less time. It's just dreaming, nothing more.

Not really, the downtown setting may add a year maximum to construction time. It is typically a 10 year process from start to finish. (2006-2016 for spadina, 2013-2023 for Sheppard, 2009-2020 for Eglinton)

Well, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm guessing 2027 for the eastern part to be done. If it's going to take 9 years to build 6.5km of subway in Scarborough where its relatively much less dense (not to mention fully funded), I can't imagine that the twice-as-long DRL is going to get fully planned, EA'ed, funded, and built in the same or less time. It's just dreaming, nothing more.

Your assuming that RL and Scarborough have equal priority. It's more likely that the RL is a higher Metrolinx priority so they've allocated more resources towards building it.

Remember that there are projects in the region that are dependant on the completion of RL before they can open.

Not really, the downtown setting may add a year maximum to construction time. It is typically a 10 year process from start to finish. (2006-2016 for spadina, 2013-2023 for Sheppard, 2009-2020 for Eglinton)

How many underground stops are those? How many will the DRL have? Its a massively larger project. And besides, it will be at least 3-5 years before a single shovel is in the ground - maybe longer if Ford gets re-elected.

Anyways - we're getting a little off track from demolishing the Gardiner discussion :)

Back