News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Social/health is a big one that should be given some considerable weight IMO. This is an expressway serving residents from other regions in the city, but it is the people that move into the new East Bayfront, Canary District and Lower Don neighbourhoods that have to live with it. The remove option will have less nitrous oxide (13-36 t/y) and particulate matter (1.6-5.1 t/y) emissions, as well as less noise (7 or 8 db). Is it fair to impose those impacts on these residents, just to save a few minutes in a car?

For the most part, those residents don't live there today. There are many other locations where new development can be accommodated. Should we also tear down other highways adjacent to development parcels for the benefit of potential future residents? How about we favour existing residents and existing travel patterns instead?

$900MM includes maintenance costs for *ONE HUNDRED YEARS* - a preposterous assumption of any kind of accuracy.

Exactly. From now on I'd like the City to take into account the *ONE HUNDRE YEAR* projected cost of any budget decisions. It's ridiculous. We're thinking of putting in this outdoor hockey rink. It's going to cost $200 million over 100 years.

I think it's safe to say that the current consensus in Ontario is that education and health care meet the definition of "public good" and should not be operated on a user-pay basis.

Call me crazy, but I think roads meet the same definition "public good' and shouldn't be operated on a user-pay basis either. What's next are we going to start charging tolls on sidewalks, bridges, bike paths, streetlights etc?

Should we also tear down other highways adjacent to development parcels for the benefit of potential future residents?

Overbuilt/under-utilized infrastructure of any type which is holding down city owned land values and tax revenues should be removed going forward just as we have in the past (CN Rail Yards south of Front Street and various city owned parking lots).

My comment was in response to those who don't think city funds should be used to fix the Gardiner - it's the middle ground between the two extremes. Homeowners already pay for water, sewer, and garbage collection and we haven't fallen down any slipper slopes. I think it's safe to say that the current consensus in Ontario is that education and health care meet the definition of "public good" and should not be operated on a user-pay basis.

Yeah, Hawc's POV doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

It's funny how people get used to things. Used to be, not so very long ago, schools were not paid through property tax the way they are now. Used to be, not so very long ago, the TTC got 1/2 its operating funding from the province. Used to be, not so long ago, the City of Toronto (and every other Ont municipality) didn't have to fund social housing on its own or a bunch of other things. But now it's normal, begging the question of whether we were on some "slippery slope" before.

Putting a toll on a public park may SEEM far-fetched but how different is it from the user fees on public pools or other recreational facilties where a portion of the costs are part of the tax base and thee rest user fees? It's not a slippery slope, it's a fine line. One could go onto a whole separate thread about revenue tools to fund transit. Why do we assume roads are a 'public good' to which we are entitled but we have to have a years-long debate about even remotely proportional funding for public transit? It's a complete hypocrisy by any objective measure.

Meanwhile, a "world-class" city like New York has tolls all over the place, property taxes that put ours to shame (and, sure no "free" healthcare etc.) and yet no one is worried that city is on a "slippery slope." Indeed, it's their bridge tolls that allowed them to build so much infrastructure in the first place, to say nothing of maintaining it.

So, IMHO, if they are actually going to rebuild the Gardiner implementing a toll strikes me as a perfectly reasonable way to pay for it. Or you can lump it onto property taxes and push the city closer to its debt limit, I suppose.

Personally, I think this soul searching about the damned highway has gone on way too long. Everyone knows the damage it's doing to the urban fabric and waterfront development is clearly a major part of the city's future. Cities all over are ditching or trying to ditch elevated expressways like the Gardiner so I don't see the point doubling down on at this point. There will be short term pain as traffic patterns re-adjust etc. and then life will go on.

Overbuilt/under-utilized infrastructure of any type which is holding down city owned land values and tax revenues should be removed going forward just as we have in the past (CN Rail Yards south of Front Street and various city owned parking lots).

Since when does 120,000 people a day count as "underutilized"?

DDA:

Indeed - and the slippery slope could easily slide the other way around - i.e. since nothing is ever used equally, everything should be paid solely through the general tax revenue, which is just as untenable. Perhaps we can apply a mixed-model - the city will pay for a chunk of the replacement capital cost out of property tax, the remainder will be covered using tolls to the point where the initial cost is recovered, at which point the toll will be removed. It's a pretty common approach for paying for large scale infrastructure projects.

AoD

Since tolls seem to be completely out of the equation, I wonder if council would consider the tunnel option provided that tolling the tunnel be included in the plan.

The tolls could offset the cost of tunneling, plus the sale of land that the Gardiner now occupies can also go towards the cost of building the tunnel. (Better yet, drop the land sale and turn the land into a linear park!, and use tax increment financing along the entire route to help recoup some of the costs)

Drove out this morning to take some pictures of the area we're all fighting about. :cool:

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

One thing that's really apparent is that the area is a long way away from being developed from industrial to residential/business. This is a REALLY industrial area surround by even more industrial area. It's not like the railway lands being converted to CityPlace or lower Jarivs turning into Sugar Beach. This is REALLY industrial. I'm sure it will change over eventually like everything does, but removing the highway isn't going to have an immediate effect the way say removing it in the middle of the SouthCore would.

Attachments

• IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    808.9 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_2682.JPG
    IMG_2682.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 407
  • IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2689.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 502
  • IMG_2701.JPG
    IMG_2701.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2708.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 415
  • IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2712.JPG
    IMG_2712.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 424
  • IMG_2722.JPG
    IMG_2722.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 457
And let's not forget that the western portion of the Gardiner has not proven to an impediment to development in the slightest...

Perhaps we can apply a mixed-model - the city will pay for a chunk of the replacement capital cost out of property tax, the remainder will be covered using tolls to the point where the initial cost is recovered, at which point the toll will be removed. It's a pretty common approach for paying for large scale infrastructure projects.

AoD

That's cool. But do we apply that model to all other public projects in the city? Or just roads cause we hate cars? I don't use bike paths. I would like a toll on bike paths. I don't use public parks, I would like a toll on public parks. I don't use the beach. I would like a toll on the beach. What we're doing here is saying is double tax roads because we don't like cars. We're suggest tolls to discourage use. Be honest. Otherwise all projects should be tolled because not everyone uses everything equally. City roads are a public good. You don't toll them. Unless you're actively trying to discourage use. Is that what you're doing? Because that's a whole other agenda.

Drove out this morning to take some pictures of the area we're all fighting about. :cool:

One thing that's really apparent is that the area is a long way away from being developed from industrial to residential/business. This is a REALLY industrial area surround by even more industrial area. It's not like the railway lands being converted to CityPlace or lower Jarivs turning into Sugar Beach. This is REALLY industrial. I'm sure it will change over eventually like everything does, but removing the highway isn't going to have an immediate effect the way say removing it in the middle of the SouthCore would.

Southcore/Cityplace is really industrial prior to development as well, and it's really no more or less industrial than the forementioned area. Besides, the timing is more or less dictated by the maintenance needs of the roadway and infrastructure works in the area.

AoD

That's cool. But do we apply that model to all other public projects in the city? Or just roads cause we hate cars? I don't use bike paths. I would like a toll on bike paths. I don't use public parks, I would like a toll on public parks. I don't use the beach. I would like a toll on the beach. What we're doing here is saying is double tax roads because we don't like cars. We're suggest tolls to discourage use. Be honest. Otherwise all projects should be tolled because not everyone uses everything equally. City roads are a public good. You don't toll them. Unless you're actively trying to discourage use. Is that what you're doing? Because that's a whole other agenda.

Like I've mentioned, you are basically rehashing this slippery slope in another way again - and I can put it the other way around - nothing is ever used equally, why not eliminate ALL user fees, lump everything into property tax and see the rate skyrocket for everyone instead? At some point, we need to make a judgement. City roads are a public good - limited access expressways, not so much. So given the mixed nature of this good, that usage is relatively easy to measure and that user fees is relatively easy to administer - a mixed model for supporting capital costs seems fair and square. Taking a page from your example - do you really, really want to set up a bureaucracy for charging tolls on cyclists?

AoD

Last edited:

Back