News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wasn't that just the replacement for the GTA West crossing the escarpment, with the overall cancellation coming a year or so after that decision?
I wasn't following that closely to know the timings ... though I didn't see any alignments that would have the GTA West link joining the 401 west of the escarpment ... I guess down Guelph Line or something ...

Last edited:
I seem to recall the final form had it joining the 401 somewhere around Bronte.
That would be Highway 25 in Milton - which is east of the escarpment. I thought the connection east of the escarpment was to be further east near the 407/401 interchange.

So many versions of this floating around over the years ... there's probably an alignment for every member here! :)

Here's a figure from one of the last (June 2015) reports. This version didn't come anywhere near the escarpment - and then 401 was to be widened towards Guelph and Kitchener.

I guess the question here, is what is being resurrected. The most recent plans that are all east of the escarpment? Or an earlier version that went to Guelph?

1549564445393.png

Last edited:
Bringing up the whole “New Highway 7” thing in relation to Highway 413 reminds me of a thought I had a while a back about how it’s weird Highway 407 intersects with Highway 401 in the West. What if Highway 407 went north of Brampton and it’s west end was around Kitchener Waterloo?

What I'd prefer is a land swap between the 407 Consortium and the Province. The Province would build the new corridor to Guelph (connecting to the Hwy 7 expressway at the 6/7 junction), and it would be tolled from that point eastward, controlled by the consortium. In exchange, the 407 south of the 401 would be returned to the Province, with tolls being removed. This would remove the QEW-403 co-signage through Oakville and Burlington.

Given the replacement for the GTA West link is the upcoming 401 widening to Cambridge, does that mean the PCs are going to indefinitely defer that project while they write more reports?

Widening the 401 to Cambridge makes the barrier for hikers and more importantly wildlife that much more daunting.

I really want to see the province invest in a wildlife overpass, ideally one that the Bruce Trail could also cross the 401 on at the same time.

Widening the 401 to Cambridge makes the barrier for hikers and more importantly wildlife that much more daunting.
More so than building an entire second corridor?

I've driven that section a lot. I can't say I've either seen much wildlife or hikers crossing over the six-lane highway - or even in the past when it was only four lanes. I can't recall much roadkill either.

It's quite the barrier! But would it be a worse barrier if they widened the highway again?

More so than building an entire second corridor?

I've driven that section a lot. I can't say I've either seen much wildlife or hikers crossing over the six-lane highway - or even in the past when it was only four lanes.

It's quite the barrier! But would it be a worse barrier if they widened the highway again?

False choice.

I oppose the GTA West corridor.

Also, no hikers that I'm aware of, are crossing the 401 now, at this location, and only a very few daring and misguided deer.

But movement along the escarpment corridor does occur.......it follows underpasses or bridges (Appleby line) as an example.

A wider highway corridor makes for longer tunnels/underpasses with less natural light and its more unwelcoming for both humans and wildlife.

But note, I didn't suggest that this widening not occur, though I confess to that preference.

Rather I'm a proponent of mitigation.

Creating an overpass that links the conservation lands at Kelso/Crawford/Rattlesnake Point to the Hinton Falls area immediately on the other side of the highway would be hugely beneficial.

Not only good for hikers (and local tourism); but also for wildlife which could then freely cross (over) the highway.

The cost isn't all that outrageous in the context of a large highway widening project.

I say build it. GTA needs a few of these beltway style highway. It took ages for the MTO to expand the 401 in Mississauga. The 400 and DVP are at full capacity.

Hikers now cross below the 401 on Appleby to go from Kelso to Hilton Falls conservation areas on the Bruce Trail.

I'm not SO against this that I'd be against protecting the corridor, but I agree with the above. Let's get the full Hanlan/New 7 expressway, full 401 express/collector to the Hwy 8 interchange and (barely related) full 407 to Ottawa first.

Frankly GTA West serves a demand we can fill BETTER with GO. It's the mid peninsular that would be really useful, but holy God it has an untenable environmental impact.

I say build it. GTA needs a few of these beltway style highway. It took ages for the MTO to expand the 401 in Mississauga. The 400 and DVP are at full capacity.

This will not relieve congetion on the DVP at all, nor would it likely help the 400 much.

The reality is creating more car capacity which has to feed into areas w/less car capacity creates more congestion, not less.

That's before accounting for how this will promote more sprawl; which it will.

Remember the 401 was the Toronto by-pass.

There was no substantial development envisioned to its north as the time of its construction.

If you want to relieve congestion the answers involved are largely related to rail transit investments and to vehicles becoming automated (driverless) and be able to use the road space more efficiently.

Reactions: jys
I'm not SO against this that I'd be against protecting the corridor, but I agree with the above. Let's get the full Hanlan/New 7 expressway, full 401 express/collector to the Hwy 8 interchange and (barely related) full 407 to Ottawa first.

Frankly GTA West serves a demand we can fill BETTER with GO. It's the mid peninsular that would be really useful, but holy God it has an untenable environmental impact.

I want to like this post........but the idea of extending 12-16 lanes all the way to #8 is not one I can endorse.

It too is environmentally destructive, but beyond that is a terrible use of land, and will not result in substantially better commute times.

Hell, the 407 transitway (which I'm never more find of as time goes on) would have a greater impact on congestion. The highway is the most blatantly sprawl inducing I can think of on the continent.

I want to like this post........but the idea of extending 12-16 lanes all the way to #8 is not one I can endorse.

It too is environmentally destructive, but beyond that is a terrible use of land, and will not result in substantially better commute times.

I agree in principle, but I suspect it's a political necessity and tend to think that we gain more then we lose if such widening can prevent construction of the new corridor.

Last edited:
This will not relieve congetion on the DVP at all, nor would it likely help the 400 much.

The reality is creating more car capacity which has to feed into areas w/less car capacity creates more congestion, not less.

That's before accounting for how this will promote more sprawl; which it will.

Remember the 401 was the Toronto by-pass.

There was no substantial development envisioned to its north as the time of its construction.

If you want to relieve congestion the answers involved are largely related to rail transit investments and to vehicles becoming automated (driverless) and be able to use the road space more efficiently.
THis would likely greatly help the 400 through Vaughan as a lot of traffic coming down from Simcoe county and going to Peel and Halton will be redirected onto the GTA west bypass.

The 401 is getting widened to 10 lanes to Highway 8 (8+2HOV), and yes, the part around Brampton is all that is likely really needed for now. Hell, if you want, you could do a first phase from the 410 to the 400 if you want.

Back