News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

What do you think constitutes unsafe infrastructure?
Well leaving at grade crossings on a major national highway is definitely one example, especially for a section going though a national park. Given that this upgrade is essentially a once in a century opportunity, cutting corners like that is tantamount to criminal negligence.

In other situations, as much as I hate to say, it would probably have to be evidence based. When I lived in Deadmonton I recall reading news articles about the most dangerous intersections, and noticed how many repeats there were over the years. Some obviously should have been upgraded with an interchange, but seems that their city council is in the pocket of big car repair or something...

Truly a candidate for the dumbest city in the anglosphere :(

In Canada, being litigious would be more influential in "safety improvements" than actual capital improvements to the roadway. We'd probably end up with additional signage, a lower speed limit, extended areas of no passing, and additional closures during more inclement conditions - but not a four lane roadway. 🫣
I guess Canada needs better lawyers too, gotta think a few multimillion wrongful death suits would change some minds...

1000004655.jpg

Maybe not, but if the governments can be successfully sued for providing unsafe infrastructure, at some point it becomes more cost effective to simply build safer roads.

Or put differently...

How would you prioritize improvements to "unsafe infrastructure" given thst it exists everywhere and the backlog would take decades to work through?

Back