News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It would overwhelmingly be the interchanges, just as it would be in most other North American cities. Unfortunately it’s that same mentality that got us to the problems we’re facing today. This mentality of having billions of roads going in every direction, everywhere to make it convenient for drivers can’t last forever.
I don't think it would be. I think Calgarians support a balance, and we've done pretty well out of that.

Not to be too nitpicky this morning, but I just felt the need to respond to this post. Can you expand on what problems we are facing today?

We are consistently ranked one of the most liveable cities in the world. Our traffic congestion is a fraction of what other major cities face. We still have relatively affordable housing. And our C-train was (is?... not sure post covid, but think it is has mostly recovered) the highest ridership per capita in North America.
You're right that it's not all bad and could certainly be worse, and we're no different than most north american cities...but I'd argue the biggest problem is absolute car dependence. The blue and red lines work really well as long as your destination is along one of those lines. Our sprawl and road design otherwise precludes effective transit, and isn't particularly conducive to cycling/walking as a mode of travel.

You could dig a lot deeper to see ripple effects of car-dependency into things like general health, mental health, environment, social mobility/wealth inequality, personal budgeting, etc. Which isn't to say the alternatives are a panacea...but there are a lot of reasons to suggest a better quality of life where owning a car is a nice-to-have and not a need-to-have.

Not to be too nitpicky this morning, but I just felt the need to respond to this post. Can you expand on what problems we are facing today?

We are consistently ranked one of the most liveable cities in the world. Our traffic congestion is a fraction of what other major cities face. We still have relatively affordable housing. And our C-train was (is?... not sure post covid, but think it is has mostly recovered) the highest ridership per capita in North America.
Calgary’s done well and is a great place to live, no arguments from me.
I’m referring more to NA’s auto-centric dependency in general and that just because transit runs at a deficit, doesn’t mean interchanges don’t. The interchanges themselves might not run a deficit ever year, but all roads eventually lead to them, and all of our roads collectively are expensive. Not just the cost of the roads themselves, but the roads part in the issue of sprawl.
We’re a wealthy city and have been able to sustain a huge road system to avoid congestion but it’s not sustainable.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be. I think Calgarians support a balance, and we've done pretty well out of that.
Depends what we mean by overwhelming. I believe roughly 2/3rds would support the interchanges if it came to a plebiscite.

I agree - any poll in Calgary would favour interchanges over the Green Line - but that’s not to say the Green Line shouldn’t be built instead of 65 interchanges.
Also agree that Calgary has built a good balance of roads & LRT. I certainly don’t think our transportation infrastructure is in a “crisis” state, nor do I think it’s overbuilt or unsustainable.
I guess that means I’d say our transportation infrastructure has a nice “Goldielocks” balance. 😄

Does anyone know what is being planned at 16th Ave. for the current Deerfoot Trail Improvements ?

Making the interchange a three level stack. Turning movements stay where they are while east west traffic gets a new bridge or two.

They’re in procurement for various Deerfoot projects right now though the scope is unclear. The 16th Ave project wasn’t designated a quick win so not entirely obvious to me if it is a next 4 years thing or more of a next 20 years thing.

Yeah, I know that is the ultimate plan but unclear to me as well what we’re getting in the next 4 years.
98306803-310E-4C14-BECD-4A7944FDA009.png

I was about to ask if they're doing a frontage road/collector system for access to 19 St NE, and grade separating it, but the map answers that question 👍

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that is the ultimate plan but unclear to me as well what we’re getting in the next 4 years.
It will shift depending on competitive dialog discussions with various bidders. Which when if was a pure P3 led to a failed procurement so hopefully they do a better job this time around!

Which is an unsatisfying answer, but one which will maximize how much is done in total of everything to be done.

Except for the geotech, I think they rushed putting up signs and starting visible work before there was any useful work to do to try to influence the election.

It's never going to happen
But currently, it’s primarily serving as a route for cars that might be better directed towards Crowfoot.
14th is a crosstown route, and one of the few bridges over the Bow. It also has ramps connecting to Bow Trail. I agree parts of it are unpleasant as a pedestrian (especially from 10 Ave S to the bridge), but I certainly wouldn't characterize it as underutilized, and you couldn't just direct that traffic to (I assume you mean) Crowchild.

That said, I agree you could make it better with bike lanes and a lower speed limit. And I think it could benefit from a removal of suburban features like front parking, drive-thrus, car repair shops, and all the driveways cutting across the sidewalk that these require.

What makes you think medians and bollards are desirable here, and urgently no less? How horrific was this accident?

The current speed of traffic on 14th St doesn't align with the area’s population density and pedestrian activity.

Despite the anticipated growth in foot traffic and residential population, there seem to be no concrete plans to improve the walkability of this street. There was a consultation conducted by the city a few years ago, but there hasn’t been significant progress.

14th St SW has the potential to be a vibrant and safe main street. But currently, it’s primarily serving as a route for cars that might be better directed towards Crowfoot.

Here are my urgent suggestions:
  • Reduce the speed limit on the road.
  • Install a median to help control traffic flow.
  • Add dedicated bike lanes for cyclist safety.
  • Place bollards to protect pedestrians.
  • Widen the sidewalks to accommodate more pedestrians.

As a Pedestrian, I really don't mind most of 14th. The only area which I think really needs to be adjusted, as badc0ffee said is from 10th to kensignton road basically. I do get a bit scared walking sometimes trying to tross the bow trail ramps (and the memorial ramp if on that side). There is no light for a couple hundred meters in either direction so a lot of cars are going even faster then the 50 speed limit, and because the ramps are slip lanes, drivers don't have to slow down much to turn off. If I wasn't very cautious in that area really making sure the cars watch for crossing pedestrians I would have been hit many times.

I'm sharing this video of a crash that occurred on 14th St SW and 17th Ave SW. This street is becoming increasingly dangerous, and we need to address this now.

The current speed of traffic on 14th St doesn't align with the area’s population density and pedestrian activity.

With the development of Sunalta Heights, The Hat, Nude, and Renoir on 10th, we are expecting a significant increase in foot traffic in this area. These projects are not only residential; they also include street-level retail spaces that will likely make the neighbourhood more appealing, theoretically encouraging visitors.

Despite the anticipated growth in foot traffic and residential population, there seem to be no concrete plans to improve the walkability of this street. There was a consultation conducted by the city a few years ago, but there hasn’t been significant progress.

14th St SW has the potential to be a vibrant and safe main street. But currently, it’s primarily serving as a route for cars that might be better directed towards Crowfoot.

Here are my urgent suggestions:
  • Reduce the speed limit on the road.
  • Install a median to help control traffic flow.
  • Add dedicated bike lanes for cyclist safety.
  • Place bollards to protect pedestrians.
  • Widen the sidewalks to accommodate more pedestrians.
Property and business owners on 14th should consider reaching out to Walcott about this issue. As it stands, the street is underutilized, and its current condition is both unsafe and economically ineffective.
Agree with all your ideas, but that accident isn't really evidence of anything more than one incredibly reckless driver

Back