News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Thanks, but also.... what? So, they just approved to think about it in future years? Or, is it fully approved, as in people living in Belmont can expect to see construction?

I appreciate the help, you are much more versed at parsing through this stuff than I am.
It was too late to find the money today, but when there is a surplus at the end of the year, my guess is they will role it over to pay for this.

So not approved. But really, come on, its going to happen.

Last edited:
With the explosion of growth south of Stoney/Macleod, I wonder how long before a Red Line extension will make sense? That project should be about as easy as it gets

The existing tracks south of Stoney seem to run next to a massive 2 km long storm pond. It reminds me of recent comments in the Springbank Hill thread about the blue line near 85 St. Kind of hamstrings the potential of any new stations built there.

The existing tracks south of Stoney seem to run next to a massive 2 km long storm pond. It reminds me of recent comments in the Springbank Hill thread about the blue line near 85 St. Kind of hamstrings the potential of any new stations built there.
Belmont is essentially advertising that there will be a future LRT on the right (South bound) side of the tracks. Looking at the map of Somerset/Bridlewood station, the LRT lines are on the right side of the train tracks.
Therefore the extension of the red line wouldn't necessarily be built on the pond side.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8930316,-114.0633643,1361m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Regarding the interchange - I was just South visiting some family members and the intersection of 194th Ave & Macleod was extremely busy for being so far out in the suburbs. I do believe that it's only a matter of time that the interchange gets built.

Belmont is essentially advertising that there will be a future LRT on the right (South bound) side of the tracks. Looking at the map of Somerset/Bridlewood station, the LRT lines are on the right side of the train tracks.
Therefore the extension of the red line wouldn't necessarily be built on the pond side.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8930316,-114.0633643,1361m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Regarding the interchange - I was just South visiting some family members and the intersection of 194th Ave & Macleod was extremely busy for being so far out in the suburbs. I do believe that it's only a matter of time that the interchange gets built.
To be fair, some communities along the Green Line were built in the 80s/90s and the builders were advertising a future train station too. 🤣

Even with the red line west of the freight tracks, the pond is still there and taking up a good chunk of the vital immediate area around any stations. To avoid this we'd have to either diverge from the freight tracks (land acquisition, etc = $$$), or build a compact reservoir for that water.

That is not a storm pond, but rather a natural pond/lake, called the Priddis Slough I think. There are 2 stations planned for the extension, one just north of 194th Avenue, and the other south of 210th Avenue where the Belmont TOD lands are to the west, and then a planned train maintenance depot will be on the east I believe.

That is not a storm pond, but rather a natural pond/lake, called the Priddis Slough I think. There are 2 stations planned for the extension, one just north of 194th Avenue, and the other south of 210th Avenue where the Belmont TOD lands are to the west, and then a planned train maintenance depot will be on the east I believe.
I was looking at the Belmont website and the bulk of the neighborhood is getting built by Anthem Properties so a TOD in Belmont might actually be a thing....? An LRT expansion with the 194/Macleod exchange looks good for the south neighborhoods.

https://belmontcalgary.com/community/

https://anthemproperties.com/

1700870203367.png
1700870219548.png
1700870226308.png

Back