News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So if we set the speed limit to 120 km/h, everyone will drive at exactly 120 km/h? Okaaaaaay...

Assholes who are "going the speed limit" will be at the average speed then, and not endangering everyone else by going 20-30 under the average speed.

So if we set the speed limit to 120 km/h, everyone will drive at exactly 120 km/h? Okaaaaaay...
As you frequently see 125 km/hr or 130 km/hr now, especially on rural stretches, then no. But I doubt you'd be seeing 145 km/hr to 150 km/hr.

You'd have to tie restoring the speed limit to enforcement of a lower speeding rate.

The OPP doesn't even try to enforce 100 km/hr ... or even 115 km/hr. Last time I got a ticket on the 401 ... I think it was for 131 km/hr in the middle of nowhere east of Kingston ... the officer said to keep it below 125 km/hr.

(the answer to speeding tickets for me was cruise control ... I never intend to drive fast enough to get a ticket ... but in the middle of nowhere it would creep up without me noticing).

I think anybody who fears increasing speed limits will somehow result in drivers going faster should read this:

The results of the study indicated that lowering posted speed limits by as much as 20 mi/h (32 km/h), or raising speed limits by as much as 15 mi/h (24 km/h) had little effect on motorist' speed. The majority of motorist did not drive 5 mi/h (8 km/h) above the posted speed limits when speed limits were raised, nor did they reduce their speed by 5 or 10 mi/h (8 or 16 km/h) when speed limits are lowered. Data collected at the study sites indicated that the majority of speed limits are posed below the average speed of traffic. Lowering speed limits below the 50th percentile does not reduce accidents, but does significantly increase driver violations of the speed limit. Conversely, raising the posted speed limits did not increase speeds or accidents.

Source: http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

As you frequently see 125 km/hr or 130 km/hr now, especially on rural stretches, then no. But I doubt you'd be seeing 145 km/hr to 150 km/hr.

You'd have to tie restoring the speed limit to enforcement of a lower speeding rate.

The OPP doesn't even try to enforce 100 km/hr ... or even 115 km/hr. Last time I got a ticket on the 401 ... I think it was for 131 km/hr in the middle of nowhere east of Kingston ... the officer said to keep it below 125 km/hr.

(the answer to speeding tickets for me was cruise control ... I never intend to drive fast enough to get a ticket ... but in the middle of nowhere it would creep up without me noticing).

Interesting. Generally I always try to keep it at 115kph or below. If I remeber correctly 15 kph over the limit is when you can lose demerit points (that's way too low IMO).

Of course I'll always go with the flow of the traffic even if it's higher than 115. I dont want to be that idiot who is putting everyone in danger by doing 100 when everyone else is 125.

The main issue on divided freeways is that in most cases where the posted speed limit is 100, the design speed of the road is closer to 120 and thus, people will drive the speed it feels safe to do so. With this in mind my preferred solutions would be:

-Where the design speed allows for 400 series highways, set speed limit to 120 and start enforcing at 125. Fuctionally, there is no difference between this speed and what is practiced today.
-Double the existing fines for speeding for existing drivers
-Where potential road hazards exist such as weaving and bends in the highway, post signs indicating "Drive to Conditions"
-Narrow the lane width in areas before such hazards to encourage slower speeds
-Increase the fine where a driver travels well below the speed of traffic flow without hazards or additional lighting or signage; revise wording to indicate a 30km/h difference. If you are unable to safely drive the speed limit on the freeway for any reason (age, condition of vehicle, confidence, ect.), then you should not be driving on the freeway.
-Add a fine to penalize drivers who travel over 20km/h over the flow of traffic. This means that if the speed limit is 120km/h, the traffic is flowing at 80km/h, and you are still attempting to travel at 110km/h, you are subject to a fine and charge. Make this fine the equivalent of driving 20km/h over the posted speed limit and treat it as the equivalent of speeding.

Where traffic volumes are heavy, the flow of the road will slow down anyways. *Most* Drivers have the capability to self-regulate their speed to keep a safe following distance under these conditions.

In downtown Toronto, street lanes are narrower than in the suburbs. Drivers tend to go slower because of the narrow lanes. When lanes get wider, drivers go faster.

Want to get drivers to go slower, create narrower lanes. Want to get drivers to go faster, create wider lanes. In general, the 400-series of highways are wide.

If the speed limit is 120, then enforcement should begin at 140. You need the space in the speed limit for people to pass efficiently. When traffic moves at 120, 130 is practical for passing.

Higher speeds mean lower road capacity since drivers must leave more room between themselves for braking. But since everyone already drives at around 120, it shouldn't be an issue.

Expressways with separate express and collector lanes would be a good place to test increased speed limits. The express lanes can have maximum speed limits of 120, while collector lanes would stay at 100.

Automobiles should have governors in them to limit speeds. Trucks have them, limiting them to no more than 105 km/h. Cars should have a speed limiters of 125 km/h or 130 km/h. Emergency vehicles should be the only exception.

Last edited:
Automobiles should have governors in them to limit speeds. Trucks have them, limiting them to no more than 105 km/h. Cars should have a speed limiters of 125 km/h or 130 km/h. Emergency vehicles should be the only exception.
Should buses (private, school, public transit, or otherwise) have governors as well?

Should buses (private, school, public transit, or otherwise) have governors as well?

In case they get stolen, so yes. Drivers of those vehicles are responsible to staying within the laws, so they are not supposed to speed.

Back