News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Eglinton Avenue West, from Renforth to the Mississauga border, is 70 km/h. If drivers forget to read the signs, however, they crawl along at 60, or even in some cases, 50 km/h.

I'm referring more to the section from Erin Mills Pkwy through Mississauga Rd to Creditview Rd. There's not a lot of intersections, and it's hard to not go faster than the limit.

Erin Mills Pkwy itself isn't as bad, as the limit is 70, but it's easy to go 90-100.

One thing that's often overlooked in the speed limit debate is that the 400-series highways have a design speed of 130 kph based on 1960s level of technology. Since then we've had ABS, power steering, disc brakes, daytime running lights, seat belt laws, and much better tires. In general, vehicles and drivers now respond 20% better, with specific combinations (basically anything smaller than a SUV) being double that. So a 2013 Lexus going 160 kph is only a 6% difference to a 1963 GMC going 100 kph.

I'd have a 3 prong approach: variable speed limits by time/weather; lower speed limit for large trucks and SUVs; and average-speed cameras for ticketing.

I remember when I used to do deliveries and before the subway construction, Keele St. south of Finch was a 60km/h zone. However the lanes were narrow, there was lots of traffic and unprotected turns, etc. Even if the road ahead was clear, you would rarely see vehicles going faster than 50km/h, and most would be doing 40km/h. Simply put, the conditions didn't feel safe to go much faster than the speed limit.

That said, we cannot rely on self-regulation to control our roads. There are many times and places it may seem safe to be going 130km/h+... until it is too late. Factor in infrequent driving tests (I'm not saying easy driving tests, as in recent decades it has gotten ridiculously difficult to acquire a full G license) to monitor and refresh one's skills, and I don't believe the population on a whole is ready for no or extremely high speed limits. While 130km/h-160km/h+ might be safe, the majority of people would not be responsible enough to drive at that speed. Increase it to 110km/h-120km/h in open suburban and rural locations, and provide a 10km/h grace before ticketing.

I would also lower the speed limit of the 401 collectors to 80-90km/h, due to the traffic volumes and the numerous lane changes involved (merging right from express to collectors to off ramps, merging left since in most cases the lanes eventually turn into off ramps.

I would also lower the speed limit of the 401 collectors to 80-90km/h, due to the traffic volumes and the numerous lane changes involved (merging right from express to collectors to off ramps, merging left since in most cases the lanes eventually turn into off ramps.

The speed limit is posted Maximum 100 km/h, so it seems fine for cars to do 80-90 here when needed. Elsewhere in the province that limit is not practical in nearly all instances. The good thing about the collectors is that there are numerous transfers, so you can enter them from the express a transfer early if you think you'll have difficulty switching all the lanes before your exit. Same thing for entering the express... You can always use the next transfer if you miss the closest one.

Another US state (Utah) is now 80MPH (129 km/h). Michigan is currently legislating a 80MPH speed limit as well. When you enter Canada from the US it says 100 km/h = 60MPH on a sign which is incorrect, the province is rounding down (it is actually about 62MPH). That means that there may be a ~25% change in driving speed which could lead to some issues. Also keep in mind most freeways in Michigan are of inferior quality compared to the 400-Series (weaving, short entrance/exit lanes, narrow lanes, left exits for example). Some are bumpy as hell too.

Last edited:
Idiot on Avenue Road in the left lane kept on slamming on his breaks to maintain the speed limit. Everyone else was going at least 15 kph faster. Very well could have caused a crash. This is why we shouldn't have ridiculously low speed limits.

What do you think of Parclo interchanges? I believe that they are built to accommodate higher speeds.

Idiot on Avenue Road in the left lane kept on slamming on his breaks to maintain the speed limit. Everyone else was going at least 15 kph faster. Very well could have caused a crash. This is why we shouldn't have ridiculously low speed limits.

What kind of idiot advocates speeding on a residential street?

What kind of idiot advocates speeding on a residential street?

I'm not advocating speeding. I'm advocating against slamming on your breaks every 5 seconds to avoid violating speed limits when traffic is coming up behind you. The idiot could have caused a crash.

I'm not advocating speeding. I'm advocating against slamming on your breaks every 5 seconds to avoid violating speed limits when traffic is coming up behind you. The idiot could have caused a crash.
Most cars I see that have their break lights go on every 5 seconds, don't ever seem to slow down. Occasionally they are just flashing their brake slights because someone is tailgating them ... but more often or not, they just have an automatic and don't know how to put it in a more appropriate gear ... and simply use the brake to control the speed with light touches, that don't make a significant change to the velocity.

Honestly, at a very minimum, I'd just like to see us adopt the 110 km/h limit that other provinces in this country have. 120 km/h would be ideal though. I do think 130 km/h is too fast for a blanket speed limit, particularly given our climate and the general lack of driving discipline in this province.

Beyond that, I'd love for electronic signs on all 400-series highways to impose temporary lower speeds during construction, poor weather, etc.

Honestly, at a very minimum, I'd just like to see us adopt the 110 km/h limit that other provinces in this country have.
I'd just put it back at what it used to be ... used to be 70 miles/hour (113 km/hr). So let's say 115 km/hr.

It looks like British Columbia is increasing speed limits. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...n-some-b-c-highways-to-hit-120-km-h-1.2694277

The speed limits on some multi-lane highways in B.C. are going up to 120 kilometres per hour, Transportation Minister Todd Stone announced on Wednesday morning in Kamloops.

Stone also announced that new variable speed zones that use sensors and radar technology to monitor road conditions will be tested on sections of the Trans-Canada between Revelstoke and Sicamous, the Coquihalla near the snowshed and parts of the Sea-to-Sky Highway

My prescription:
120km/h with variable speed limits - would have to be done carefully to avoid drivers claiming the VSL allowed them to avoid making own decisions about safe speeds
Fixed and movable photo radar with the province taking a clear stand that the days of having a "sporting chance" of not being caught are done (yeah, I know, fat chance...)
Speeding fines and demerits increased where a ticket is fought and lost. The authorities then have a clearer financial incentive to ensure arresting officers show up and give evidence.​

There are two things in your little statement that are unconstitutional. Photo radar, and more glaringly, an increase in penalty for simply fighting a charge.

Back