News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can't say I've seen any square cupholders. If you want something that fits and supports local brewers, I'd recommend Forty Creek.

Well some cars have square compartments in the centre console (I know mine does) that could hold a bottle of JD. Switch to vodka if whiskey isn't your choice of beverage. :p

But in all seriousness, the relatively recent T&D phenomenon is just as bad, if not worse than the D&D.

I think 120 km is perfectly reasonable for Ontario 400 series highways. However, I don't think any of our highways in the GTA should have this speed limit. It is perfectly reasonable to be going 120-140 on a simple stretch of highway on your way to Northern Ontario, Montreal, or Southwest Ontario. It is not perfectly reasonable to be doing the same speed in heavy traffic, with dense frequency of interchange and people switching back and forth between 6 lanes in the GTA.

I think time of day is a significant factor re: speeds on urban freeways. Even the 401 through the GTA opens up after certain hours which allows for speeds of 120 km/h. During rush hour, the sheer volume wouldn't allow anyone to travel 120 anyways.

the 407 could easily support 120km/h. Really its about the design speed of the highway, the central portion of the 401 simply isn't designed for that sort of speed. Meanwhile you regularly see people safely doing 140 in the outer left lane of the 407.

It depends on the highway, and its design quality. In general I think every highway in this province, regardless if it is a freeway or a rural highway, needs at least a 10km/h bump. most could use a 20km/h bump, and some even 30 or even 40km/h..

If you were to increase speed limits however I wouldn't mind you dropping the speed at which the cops actually start to enforce from around 20km/h above to 10km/h above.

Last edited:
From this link:

In most of the United States, the maximum speed limit is somewhere between 65 and 75 miles per hour. What about the rest of the world? This map tells you.
102304.png

In the eastern US, most states top out with maximum speed limits of 70 miles per hour. Out west, most states allow 75, and a handful go even higher than that.

Texas has the highest speed limit in the western hemisphere, at 85 miles per hour. On the other end of the spectrum, no road in Canada's province Nunavut has a limit above 45 miles per hour.

Germany's Autobahn famously has no maximum speed limit, but it's not the only place in the world to hold that distinction. Australia's Northern Territory is also speed limit free. But don't try racing down roads in Bhutan, where the maximum limit is no higher than 45.

What else jumps out?

Attachments

• 102304.png
    102304.png
    279 KB · Views: 1,978
the 407 could easily support 120km/h. Really its about the design speed of the highway, the central portion of the 401 simply isn't designed for that sort of speed. Meanwhile you regularly see people safely doing 140 in the outer left lane of the 407.

It depends on the highway, and its design quality. In general I think every highway in this province, regardless if it is a freeway or a rural highway, needs at least a 10km/h bump. most could use a 20km/h bump, and some even 30 or even 40km/h..

If you were to increase speed limits however I wouldn't mind you dropping the speed at which the cops actually start to enforce from around 20km/h above to 10km/h above.

I've never felt uneasy driving 120 on any part of the 401. The only 400-series highway where I've felt unsafe driving 120 on a clear day in light traffic is the 403 from the QEW through Hamilton. Those curves seem below freeway standards--hence the 90 kmh speed limit. Then there's that part where at night, the freeway lighting ends and you're in darkness before the lighting begins again.

It seems like the easiest election promise to make:

"I will work with MTO engineers to raise the speed on 400 series highways to 120 km/h".

Then in 4 years, even if the speed only went up at some flat stops near Chatham, the promise was still met.

And for those would might object to going 120 km/h when its snowing, put in adjustable speed limits. Even different speeds for different lanes.

080408_variable_speed_limit.jpg

SpeedLimit50_60.jpg

And inform the drivers which lanes are blocked ahead. If the powers that be watch their traffic cameras and do updates.

41071.jpg

_69677454_9451262592_d4f9604f59_h.jpg

Variable_speed_limits_Seattle.jpg

Attachments

• 080408_variable_speed_limit.jpg
    080408_variable_speed_limit.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 803
  • SpeedLimit50_60.jpg
    SpeedLimit50_60.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 880
  • 41071.jpg
    41071.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,133
  • _69677454_9451262592_d4f9604f59_h.jpg
    _69677454_9451262592_d4f9604f59_h.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 947
  • Variable_speed_limits_Seattle.jpg
    Variable_speed_limits_Seattle.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
And for those would might object to going 120 km/h when its snowing, put in adjustable speed limits. Even different speeds for different lanes.

Snow is a terrible excuse for why speed limits are not raised. During snow (not winter, but a snow event) the current 100 km/h may not be safe.

The speed limit should be set for a reasonable driving conditions (maybe like a 80 or 90 percentile), and at other times drivers use reasonable caution (it is a maximum speed after all). I can see with postings matching conditions, the driver may be able to shed some liability if they go "too fast for the conditions", but the adjustable sign told them a higher speed was acceptable.

Maybe post different speed limits for those with snow tires and those with (allegedly) all-season tires.

(Joke) :D

People will go the speed they feel comfortable and safe at. During a snow storm nobody drives 100 kph just as when traffic is light on a lovely summer day does anybody drive 100 kph.

100 kph is ridiculous and is much slower than it once was. the 401 in the early 70s was 75 mph and everyone was just fine. Also are only laws when they are enforced and if they are not then they are nothing more than suggestions. the current freeway speeds are exactly that, suggestions which no one seems to take seriously including the government.

Just like because there are so many stop signs (especially the all-way stops) that drivers have ignored them. Stop signs have become "suggested stops" or rolling stops for many.

Some GPS navigators make note of adjustable speed limits as well (especially those that detect current traffic levels (such as some of the more expensive GPS navigators, as well as on Google Maps and on Apple Maps on Android and iOS, respectively)). Ontario should raise the speed limit of the left-most lane in an expressway to 120 km/h or higher.

Last edited:
Some GPS navigators make note of adjustable speed limits as well. Ontario should raise the speed limit of the left-most lane in an expressway to 120 km/h or higher.
Surely a speed differential between lanes is more dangerous than everything else.

I don't see anything wrong with the current system. People will drive 120+ in good conditions, and slower in bad conditions. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm assuming BC only raised their limit because they don't actually have any highways. :p
Seriously though, Vancouver has the most pathetic highway system for a city of its size in North America.

Really its about the design speed of the highway, the central portion of the 401 simply isn't designed for that sort of speed. Meanwhile you regularly see people safely doing 140 in the outer left lane of the 407.

That's surprising, I would of assumed that at least the express portion of the 401 was designed to support at least 120km, especially after recent improvements. So is it only good for 100? 110? Just never felt like that was the case when I was doing 150k on the express lanes, in light traffic of course, during my younger days(obviously not that reckless anymore)

Do you know what the restricting factor is? Are the ramps too short, or is it poor sightlines- vertical/horizontal, the grade, lane width, something else or a combination of factors?

Back