News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Deeply disappointing to move forward w/this at this time.

Consdieration for expansion would be legitimate AFTER two-way, all day service is in place w/greater rush hour frequency, on both GO rail lines that service this corridor, not before.

Great for people who work downtown. What about those that don't?

Great for people who work downtown. What about those that don't?

If the downtown bound traffic was materially reduced, then the remaining traffic would be lighter for everyone, including those headed anywhere else east, west or north.

Threat and Risk Assessment (TRA) for the City of Toronto's Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and related Infrastructure

https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/ca...E006AF037/$file/9117-17-7024 Viewing Copy.pdf

upload_2017-4-11_17-17-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-11_17-17-1.png
    upload_2017-4-11_17-17-1.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 346
If the downtown bound traffic was materially reduced, then the remaining traffic would be lighter for everyone, including those headed anywhere else east, west or north.

It's already being improved: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rer/rer_kitchener.aspx

Keep in mind GO Kitchener + Milton ridership is about 50,000 compared with about 200,000 vehicles for this section of 401.

When MTO does projects of this scope, they also rehabilitate the existing section. So it's not just adding more lanes, it's maintaining the existing highway and bridges, etc.

We're still widening highways...in 2017. Induced demand has taught our government nothing.

As much as I think RER on the Milton line is extremely important and it's a travesty that it's never included in any RER plans, not doing this highway expansion is frankly not an option. I cannot fathom why people are all gung-ho about lengthening highways 400 and 404 farther and farther into rural areas, but a simple widening of a massively congested part of the busiest highway in the country is somehow unnecessary.

And yes I drive on the 401 daily, for a short portion, in the morning. I won't touch the 401 going home as its a gong show. This widening is long overdue. I'm not sure the 401 is as narrow as it is in the west compared to east.

As much as I think RER on the Milton line is extremely important and it's a travesty that it's never included in any RER plans, not doing this highway expansion is frankly not an option. I cannot fathom why people are all gung-ho about lengthening highways 400 and 404 farther and farther into rural areas, but a simple widening of a massively congested part of the busiest highway in the country is somehow unnecessary.

And yes I drive on the 401 daily, for a short portion, in the morning. I won't touch the 401 going home as its a gong show. This widening is long overdue. I'm not sure the 401 is as narrow as it is in the west compared to east.

Personally I'm not gung-ho about either type of highway expansion (extension or widening), as they both feed suburban sprawl and induce more traffic. As for the 401, I know that it's necessary but instead of doubling the size to 12 lanes all the way to Milton, I feel that fewer new lanes in conjunction with GO improvements would have been more reasonable. The province likes to toot their smart growth policies, but some of their road projects seem to undermine that effort.

Last edited:

Man, some people on this site are gonna be so pissed when they find out the 401 in the east end will be widened to 12 lanes (express/collector) to the east end of Oshawa.

Man, some people on this site are gonna be so pissed when they find out the 401 in the east end will be widened to 12 lanes (express/collector) to the east end of Oshawa.

Will it? I figured the configuration of the new 401-412 interchange largely precluded that.

Yeah, there's no room through Oshawa for a full collector/express configuration. I can only see one more lane added through here, similar to the QEW through Oakville and Burlington.

The MTO plan for Durham is collector-express to the 412, 10 lanes to the 418, then 8 lanes to 35.

MTO does not plan on this being done in the near term, even though it probably should.

The MTO plan for Durham is collector-express to the 412, 10 lanes to the 418, then 8 lanes to 35.

MTO does not plan on this being done in the near term, even though it probably should.

TO the 412 makes sense, but the configuration of the interchange basically precludes 4 401 carriageways going through it. It's likely that the collector would be 4 lanes, and would split before the 412, with 2 merging back onto the 401, and 2 becoming the 412 ramp.

I believe its planned to be a 3+2+HOV setup for the collector/express, or a 12 lane cross-section overall. Same setup they are doing in Mississauga right now.

Back