News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This is kind of highway related, but the 16th Avenue EA, plans to combine the southbound off and westbound to southbound on ramps at the intersection. Is this a way to make the intersection safer? Also, it kind of seems odd that the southbound off ramp only has two lanes at the intersection, even though they're already going to completely move the intersection. Why not add another lane for the common 1 left, 1 right, and 1 left right lanes at most exits?
I'm almost certain they would make this offramp 3 lanes based on some sort of traffic analysis. The EA plan is typically refined prior to construction.

Having the WB right turn at the intersection instead of a freeway loop entrance was probably done at the request (payment) of York Region. MTO would prefer standard ramp design as this is the typical driver expectation. Right turn at intersection operates much more slowly especially for larger vehicles and also introduces a turning conflict.

Why keep the EB to SB ramp then. A simple left turn at the intersection and on to the new WB to SB ramp accomplishes the same thing. The only reason I can think of not to is the traffic volumes heading southbound in the AM peak could overwhelm the intersection.

Why keep the EB to SB ramp then. A simple left turn at the intersection and on to the new WB to SB ramp accomplishes the same thing. The only reason I can think of not to is the traffic volumes heading southbound in the AM peak could overwhelm the intersection.
In my opinion, the 16th eastbound to 404 southbound ramp should really be separated from the intersection, as that will lighten the traffic on 16th, but also increase the number of cars on 404. Also, that ramp is kind of constrained as it is one of the smaller ramps due to the office’s parking lot next to it, so removing the cloverleaf ramp isn’t a good idea. If anything, the interchange should be normalized before Buttonville Airport closes. :p

left turns are even lower volume than right turns - that is why.

Latest article on this.

Highway 7 expansion plans could be announced in a few weeks
That word coming from the province's transportation minister who was in Waterloo on Tuesday
about an hour ago by: Blair Adams
new-highway-7.jpg;w=630

New Highway 7 route

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/loca...NSI3lAK8XbnDljlrk8Nebw86BYvIV2AeGcI85iLBtMJoM

Nice, should ease the bottleneck in the PM northbound.

Nice, should ease the bottleneck in the PM northbound.
You seem to be reacting as though this was new to you. This was already funded and design is well underway for Contract 2, as Contract 1 is already under construction.

It still hasn't been confirmed (or I haven't seen it) if the 16th Avenue overpass would be widened in both directions, more lanes on both Hwy 404 and 16th, or just Hwy 404. Most likely part of Contract 3, though provisions must be made in Contract 2 for it.

Yeah, it actually is. It may not be new news, but did slip my attention. Always nice to see a project advancing and that's what I was expressing.

It’s pretty clear that the NB HOV lanes on the 410 have been a failure, at least to those that are NOT eligible to enter those lanes. Every day there are backups that magically end when the HOV lanes end.
Is this the end for 410 expansion or expansion of the HOV lanes further north?

It’s pretty clear that the NB HOV lanes on the 410 have been a failure, at least to those that are NOT eligible to enter those lanes. Every day there are backups that magically end when the HOV lanes end.
Is this the end for 410 expansion or expansion of the HOV lanes further north?

They messed up when they reconfigured the lanes between Steeles and Queen.
Before, the Steeles EB on ramp continued on and exited at Clark. Now both on ramps from Steeles end as you head up the bridge and then the outer lane exits at Clark and then the outer lane exits at Queen. That's multiple lanes lost compared to before, in a short distance right where the HOV lanes end.

The problem is that MTO had planned for the HOVs to run to Bovaird, but for some reason the government only built the stretch to Queen. So instead of it being 10 lanes to queen, 8 to Bovaird, there is a big bottleneck as it goes from 10 to 6 lanes.

The problem is that MTO had planned for the HOVs to run to Bovaird, but for some reason the government only built the stretch to Queen. So instead of it being 10 lanes to queen, 8 to Bovaird, there is a big bottleneck as it goes from 10 to 6 lanes.
This is true but the main cause of the bottleneck is the reduction (yes reduction) in the number of through lanes for the majority of the users (single occupancy commuters) from 3 lanes to 2.

Prior to the "expansion" everyone had a 3 lane road from the 401 north to Bovaird (where it narrowed to 2 going further north).

Now the majority of users see the 5 lane road from the 401 Northbound but can't use the far left lane (HOV) and daren't use the two far right lanes that are just going to disappear at Queen.....so their three travel lanes are now 2....and to make it worse, they are constantly dealing with people who are using the far right lanes right up to queen (even beyond where the lines changed to solid "no lane change lines" then swinging over in front of them) with no intention of getting off at queen.

The entire expansion has been delivered poorly and while some here with a bit of knowledge of the concept of "induced demand" were aware that the extra lanes would eventually make it worse not better, no one expected it to be worse from day one with no prospect of getting better.

Back