News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Here’s what Ontario’s Highway system looked like in 1920. Expansion of this very basic network didn’t really start to happen until 1928-1929.

10E0AF05-D44B-4873-99B0-87617F50F7E9.jpeg

Here’s what Ontario’s Highway system looked like in 1920. Expansion of this very basic network didn’t really start to happen until 1928-1929.

View attachment 236098
I really enjoyed your blog entry about this.

View attachment 236098

Wow! All of this is amazing! Really cool...

View attachment 236098

Roads in the north were developed and maintained by the Department of Northern Development and, as such, weren't considered part of the numbered 'highway system' until the mid '30s. They were variously called Development, Colonization or Trunk roads.

Do you have earlier information? I've been quite interested in finding more information about road history prior to the number highways. I've found little hints here and there and there are clues in the way our townships were surveyed (referenced by the major road through the area - Durham Road, Sydenham Road, etc.), but it would be really interesting to get a more completely history of Ontario's transportation system.

Do you have earlier information? I've been quite interested in finding more information about road history prior to the number highways. I've found little hints here and there and there are clues in the way our townships were surveyed (referenced by the major road through the area - Durham Road, Sydenham Road, etc.), but it would be really interesting to get a more completely history of Ontario's transportation system.
Way back when areas were first being "settled" by Europeans in the early 19th century, surveyors used something called a baseline road to measure out concession blocks. Yonge St was one of them, for example. The baseline road would be "cut" first and surveyed, then the concession blocks and associated concession roads for settlement would be surveyed out from there.

I'm only aware of a few baseline roads, but I know Hurontario and Yonge St are two.

What's also a little interesting tidbit of surveying history is why so many roads, especially east west roads in Toronto and York Region, have small jogs at intersecting concession roads. Basically surveyors in the early 19th century had pretty rudimentary tools, and were cutting through thick forests to measure out the original concession blocks. Every few concessions, they would "Check" their line, and adjust the concession to correct. The goal was to make sure every concession block was an exact size, in the case of York, about 2.1x2.1km. So you end up with jogs as the surveyors correct for their errors. it was quite a bit of complicated math to figure it out too, they had to do things like take into account the curvature of the earth, star positions, etc. All the while literally cutting lines through wilderness in harsh conditions.

Way back when areas were first being "settled" by Europeans in the early 19th century, surveyors used something called a baseline road to measure out concession blocks. Yonge St was one of them, for example. The baseline road would be "cut" first and surveyed, then the concession blocks and associated concession roads for settlement would be surveyed out from there.

I'm only aware of a few baseline roads, but I know Hurontario and Yonge St are two.

What's also a little interesting tidbit of surveying history is why so many roads, especially east west roads in Toronto and York Region, have small jogs at intersecting concession roads. Basically surveyors in the early 19th century had pretty rudimentary tools, and were cutting through thick forests to measure out the original concession blocks. Every few concessions, they would "Check" their line, and adjust the concession to correct. The goal was to make sure every concession block was an exact size, in the case of York, about 2.1x2.1km. So you end up with jogs as the surveyors correct for their errors. it was quite a bit of complicated math to figure it out too, they had to do things like take into account the curvature of the earth, star positions, etc. All the while literally cutting lines through wilderness in harsh conditions.

Depends on the township. If you look at Peel Region, there was a "double front" survey system, so the jogs were in between the survey lines. While Brampton smoothed out the jogs as it urbanized (Countryside Drive and Wanless Drive), you can still see them in Caledon, especially the farther away you get from Hurontario Street. Look at Old School Road or Boston Mills Road for examples.

The first roads were Indigenous trails, which often followed shore lines, rivers, and along former shorelines (Davenport Road, for example), and many were incorporated into the settlers' roads. Highway 8 in Hamilton/Niagara - King Street/Queenston Road, follows the old Lake Iroquois shore line; it was one of the first roads established by the colonial government. Military roads, like Yonge Street (to the Holland River), Penetanguishine Road, Dundas Street, and Kingston Road followed, along with the colonization roads - Lakeshore Road, Huron Road (Guelph to Goderich), Hurontario Street, Sydenham Road, Durham Road, Elora Road, Garafraxa Road, Hastings Road, Talbot Line, Amberley Road, Nipissing Road, and so on.

Between the 1850s and 1910s, attention was given to railways, rather than road development, though.

yup, every municipality was surveyed slightly differently and had different results because of that. Scarborough and Pickering's concession blocks are about 800mx2.1km for example.

Are there any books you'd recommend perhaps?

Oh, yeah.

“Looking for Old Ontario” has entire chapters on township surveying and nomenclature.

So, this sign on 410-S will one day say "Derry Rd/Courtneypark" ??

A little late, but widening the 401 to six lanes all the way to the 416 would be a poor use of resources. That much six lane highway really only exists in more densely populated regions like England or the US Northeast. It would also be putting too many eggs into one basket transportation wise. Since so much traffic on to 401 it's going towards Ottawa, it would be better to build up Highway 7 instead. It would be a shorter and faster route than the 401/416 and would provide some much needed redundancy in the freeway system. And building HFR would get more people out of cars altogether and would improve safety more that any highway project.

Back