News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well this suggestion did come from a place where redevelopment would be the intention... returning it to farmland is a non-starter. Greenfield land nearby is scarce, and proximity to a better LSW in some far-off future could make it more viable. This would be more of a 'social works' fantasy scenario because there isn't much of a case otherwise... but it would change the vitality of the southern lakefront dramatically by reconnecting the communities straddling the QEW on each side. Of course, it would probably be easier to just cap the highway at pinpoint locations to do that. It is more realistic that demand for lakeside living could result in this someday rather than highway removal in any case.
After Rome fell, agriculture returned to the open spaces of the City of Rome. Including cattle, chickens, and some grains. Also ended up being a great location for a quarry.

Last edited:
Just came back from Sudbury this afternoon. It appears that work on Highway 69 twinning south of the French River is progressing again, with work started on a new bridge at Highway 522. Presumably it will hook up with the already-completed railway overpasses; it’d be nice to see the rail diversion completed.

The West St bridge over highway 11 in Orillia was demolished this weekend. Interestingly, it wasn’t that old of a structure - it definitely wasn’t original to the Orillia Bypass.

The Sunnidale Rd bridge in Barrie over the 400 also looks ready to be demolished any day now.

Just came back from Sudbury this afternoon. It appears that work on Highway 69 twinning south of the French River is progressing again, with work started on a new bridge at Highway 522. Presumably it will hook up with the already-completed railway overpasses; it’d be nice to see the rail diversion completed.
Interesting - I wasn't aware it had started construction. The Ontario Highways Program lists it as "2024-2025" still. Good news if so.

Interesting - I wasn't aware it had started construction. The Ontario Highways Program lists it as "2024-2025" still. Good news if so.
It's a "highway" project, so it can be done more quickly. If it was a "transit" project, it would be deferred, deferred, and deferred.

It was clearly early works, with a few trucks on site doing rough site clearance, but the project signage billed it as new bridge construction.
ahh - likely preparing for the main contract which will probably come next summer. Good nonetheless.

This phase will be a bit longer than the last few, running about 20kms south to the north end of 529.

The Highways program also has a 12km extension of the 400 northwards listed as "2024-2025" as well - so both will likely be underway at the same time.

Do you know what the plans are for?

The former highway alignment here

The former railway alignment here.

Just curious how that will be handled.

Do you know what the plans are for?

The former highway alignment here

The former railway alignment here.

Just curious how that will be handled.
The new railway alignment has already mostly been built, including the future Highway 400 overpass over the new alignment. The tracks just haven't been shifted yet.

you can see it in google maps:

The future 400 alignment is roughly in red below: you can see the existing railway alignment, the new one to the south, and the already-built rail overpass for the 400. @ShonTron identified that construction is starting at the interchange with 522, north of the existing rail realignment and overpass. Likely what is happening right now is bush clearing, which has already occurred to the north on the west side of 69:

69 xtension.png

The new railway alignment has already mostly been built, including the future Highway 400 overpass over the new alignment. The tracks just haven't been shifted yet.

you can see it in google maps:

The future 400 alignment is roughly in red below: you can see the existing railway alignment, the new one to the south, and the already-built rail overpass for the 400. @ShonTron identified that construction is starting at the interchange with 522, north of the existing rail realignment and overpass. Likely what is happening right now is bush clearing, which has already occurred to the north on the west side of 69:

View attachment 499894

I appreciate all the info; but I was asking about what will be done w/the disused bits of alignment, both rail and road, once all the new stuff is complete and in use.

I believe the highway alignment will be kept as a service road of sorts ,as it has been on other parts of the 400 extension.

The railway line, I'm not as sure about. I imagine the rails will be ripped up and it will be simply abandoned.
It would make sense for the existing highway alignment to be maintained as a service road, but only if there is something along the alignment to service.

I appreciate all the info; but I was asking about what will be done w/the disused bits of alignment, both rail and road, once all the new stuff is complete and in use.
1692127786595.png

there is the official plan ... as you can see this section is significantly detoured from the existing highway, with the existing highway being download to the municipalities as the "West Service Road" and a tiny section being eliminated. Also, a small section of this alignment passes through the Harvey Inlet First Nation Territory, so I'm guessing if they are doing pre-work then a agreement with them must be near. As a reminder, the Ford gov cut off all negations when elected in 2018 (it was reported the Liberals were very close to an agreement before the election) with all three First Nations that the new highway will pass through.

And oh fun fact... Old Still River Road ? Once was a former alignment of 69 itself.

View attachment 500190

there is the official plan ... as you can see this section is significantly detoured from the existing highway, with the existing highway being download to the municipalities as the "West Service Road" and a tiny section being eliminated. Also, a small section of this alignment passes through the Harvey Inlet First Nation Territory, so I'm guessing if they are doing pre-work then a agreement with them must be near. As a reminder, the Ford gov cut off all negations when elected in 2018 (it was reported the Liberals were very close to an agreement before the election) with all three First Nations that the new highway will pass through.

And oh fun fact... Old Still River Road ? Once was a former alignment of 69 itself.
I would suspect that the province will retain the service roads as provincial responsibilities. Some of the townships in the north part of Parry Sound District are unorganized (no municipal structure - no tax base) and there is no upper tier level of municipal government. Even if there is a organized municipality, they often will not download where there is insufficient tax base to support and maintain it. Lake Joseph Rd. is the former Hwy 69 alignment north of Mactier and, in Parry Sound District, it runs through an organized township (Seguin) but it remains a provincial road. I assume it is assigned a four-digit number for internal purposes.

I would suspect that the province will retain the service roads as provincial responsibilities. Some of the townships in the north part of Parry Sound District are unorganized (no municipal structure - no tax base) and there is no upper tier level of municipal government. Even if there is a organized municipality, they often will not download where there is insufficient tax base to support and maintain it. Lake Joseph Rd. is the former Hwy 69 alignment north of Mactier and, in Parry Sound District, it runs through an organized township (Seguin) but it remains a provincial road. I assume it is assigned a four-digit number for internal purposes.

Yes, it is, similar to Oastler Park Drive, another bypassed section of Highway 69 that is entirely within organized townships yet still MTO maintained.

Back