News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I know heading into downtown was always bad but I don't remember things being this bad without a crash affecting things.

1714328767527.png

I was thinking about the Gardiner. Was there any reasonable way forward for Toronto to have never built the Gardiner at all? This just seems unlikely in 1950-60s North America where the car was king. But was there any path for Toronto to have reached say the mid 1980 without a highway cutting across its south? And if avoided, would that turn Lakeshore Blvd. into a defacto highway?

Last edited:
With the announcement of the new electric vehicle and battery plants in Alliston, I’m wondering if there’s any plans for expansion of highway capacity out that way. I know Honda ships out completed vehicles by CP (and the property had access to a remnant of CN’s Beeton Sub when it first opened), but it will mean a lot more parts deliveries and commuters.

The province is paying to widen Highway 3 through St. Thomas, but what about 89? Could there be – god forbid – a western extension of the Bradford Bypass?

With the announcement of the new electric vehicle and battery plants in Alliston, I’m wondering if there’s any plans for expansion of highway capacity out that way. I know Honda ships out completed vehicles by CP (and the property had access to a remnant of CN’s Beeton Sub when it first opened), but it will mean a lot more parts deliveries and commuters.

The province is paying to widen Highway 3 through St. Thomas, but what about 89? Could there be – god forbid – a western extension of the Bradford Bypass?
There has been talk of a 'Cookstown bypass' for quite some time now but I don't know if there are any formal plans or land assembly. Hwy 89 between Alliston and Hwy 400, particularly through the village of Cookstown, has been brutal for a while. An extension to the Bradford bypass would mean a lot of greenfielding, but might make some sense as it would draw off traffic from 89. Also, Tottenham has seen some allied auto part factories go up.

I think the implication is if you're expecting people to go from 130-0 is more dangerous than 100-0. I find myself going past yorkdale at 110 pretty often only to stop where the express ramp exits to the collectors
If there are some deficiencies, they can be fixed with a relatively small investment (or with a reduced speed limit for a small stretch if we don't want to spend). It is very unlikely that you will have to stop from 130. Usually the prevailing conditions will slow down the traffic behind to some extent.

If there are some deficiencies, they can be fixed with a relatively small investment (or with a reduced speed limit for a small stretch if we don't want to spend). It is very unlikely that you will have to stop from 130. Usually the prevailing conditions will slow down the traffic behind to some extent.
Some jurisdictions have dynamic speed limits to try to reduce the severity of the rolling waves/shockwaves of highway slowdowns.

Not saying we should consider 130 in the GTA. If we do adopt 130, I would be in favour only with aggressive photo radar enforcement at 135.

Some jurisdictions have dynamic speed limits to try to reduce the severity of the rolling waves/shockwaves of highway slowdowns.

Not saying we should consider 130 in the GTA. If we do adopt 130, I would be in favour only with aggressive photo radar enforcement at 135.
I was suggesting 120 in GTA/other urban areas and 130 outside.

I was suggesting 120 in GTA/other urban areas and 130 outside.
I feel like 130 speed limit combined with bad drivers is a recipe for trouble. I see enough people driving below 100 in the middle lane or even the passing lane. I am okay with stepping up speed limits in 10 kph increments and seeing how things go.

I mean Ontario has some of the lowest speed limits in the western world (yes, really). Basically nowhere on earth with full rural freeways limits them to 100km/h or less at this point.

Even 110 is relatively conservative. Most jurisdictions have 120-130 limits on freeways in some sort of variety.

110 really shouldn't be controversial. Especially on rural roads it results in real time savings (say, driving Sarnia to London at 115km/h vs. 125km/h - saves about 5 minutes on the drive) and really has a minimal additional risk factor on a rural freeway like that.

It is also closer to the speed limit which was originally assigned to 400 series highways prior to metric conversion, which were originally posted at 70mph (113km/h).

Fuel consumption goes up about 10% for every 10 km above 100. So a great global warming strategy shaping up here. Not to mention severity of accidents.

Bear in mind today's vehicles are much more fuel efficient and safer than they were in the 70s when the limit was 70 MPH. Also many vehicles are hybrid, electric, or use alternate fuel sources too.

Here's a map to show that while the increase to 110 on a few sections is good, we're still lagging Europe and elsewhere.

1280px-World_Speed_Limits.svg.png

Back