News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I counted at least 100 trucks/commercial vehicles in this picture. You can say induced demand all you want but this highway quite literally is the lifeline of southern Ontario.

And if we can take even 20% of those personal vehicles off that road and on to transit those commercial vehicles would be able to move more easily

A public consultation was recently held for the Highway 5/6 interchange in Waterdown.

Construction apparently begins in 2025.

1717071554504.png

Attachments

• 1717071534200.png
    1717071534200.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Random thought today... Saw something I've never seen in my life, a crew using water truck and leaf blower to clean sidewalks and gutter of a bridge over the 401 (liverpool Rd). Is this typical maintenance for 401 bridges? I've never seen this before and maybe thought it was an MTO thing...

There was a bit of sediment and debris on it, but nothing that I haven't seen anywhere else.

I counted at least 100 trucks/commercial vehicles in this picture. You can say induced demand all you want but this highway quite literally is the lifeline of southern Ontario.
Shame there are so many single occupant vehicles bogging them down.

Instead of pointless memes consider the traffic flow in the area? You're going from 5 lanes (including HOV) to 3 lanes with a lot of trucks causing congestion during the merges
Whoever decided to approve this design in the first place should be fired. Its always this section (Steeles to Williams mainly) that gets congested during peak times. They should've just made it at least 4 lanes each way, including the HOV, to Sandalwood and then 3 all the way to the Hwy 10 interchange while keeping the HOV throughout.

The original plan was for the widening to go to Bovaird I believe, with a lane tapering between Queen and Bovaird to make it more gradual.

The liberals when they funded the work only funded it to Queen St though, creating the bottleneck.

A similar bottleneck exists on the 401 in Durham just before the 412 which desperately needs to be resolved as well, and now in Milton too.

Our government overseers have it in their wisdom to close both the DVP and Gardiner on Sunday for a bicycle ride. The DVP is closed in both directions from Lakeshore to Hwy 401, and the Gardiner closed in both directions from the South Kingsway to the DVP. Both closures are from 2am to 4pm on Sunday June 2nd. Plan your trips accordingly.

Our government overseers have it in their wisdom to close both the DVP and Gardiner on Sunday for a bicycle ride. The DVP is closed in both directions from Lakeshore to Hwy 401, and the Gardiner closed in both directions from the South Kingsway to the DVP. Both closures are from 2am to 4pm on Sunday June 2nd. Plan your trips accordingly.
Those regular 'event closures' might become problematic when the province assumes them as provincial highways.

Those regular 'event closures' might become problematic when the province assumes them as provincial highways.
It’s a bummer. I had to cancel my attendance at an event at Lakeshore and Dixie Rd. tomorrow morning. There’s just no way to get there and back from my place at Parliament and Carlton (23 km each way) that won’t take hours. Normally on Sunday mornings it would take me 30 mins to get there and perhaps 45 min home around noon.

This city sucks. With construction and fundraiser-driven road closures coinciding with subway shutdowns, you’d think city hall just doesn’t want Torontonians to go anywhere.

Last edited:
It’s a bummer. I had to cancel my attendance at an event at Lakeshore and Dixie Rd. tomorrow morning. There’s just no way to get there and back from my place at Parliament and Carlton (23 km each way) that won’t take hours. Normally on Sunday mornings it would take me 30 mins to get there and perhaps 45 min home around noon.

This city sucks. With construction and fundraiser-driven road closures coinciding with subway shutdowns, you’d think city hall just doesn’t want Torontonians to go anywhere.
Uber to Union, Lakeshore to Long Branch and walk from there? (Google says 950 metres)

You live a few kilometers from the most well-served transportation hub in Canada. From there you can take Canada's most frequent regional rail service to your destination. Total travel time of about 1 hour.

Uber to Union, Lakeshore to Long Branch and walk from there? (Google says 950 metres)
Thanks, and that’s a smart alternative, but it doesn’t work for me. As is often the case with transit, it’s the first and final mile where we’re let down. My start is near Riverdale Farm and my final destination is Lakeshore Promenade marina. I have a lot to carry and can’t lump it all. IMO, we need to stop closing our highways for fundraising. We don’t do this with our railways or airports, stopping trains or planes to make way for cyclists or runners.

Last edited:
You live a few kilometers from the most well-served transportation hub in Canada. From there you can take Canada's most frequent regional rail service to your destination. Total travel time of about 1 hour.
Won’t work for the last miles where I have to lump my 50 lbs of cumbersome kit from beside Riverdale Farm to Lakeshore Promenade marina every Sunday. Indeed there’s a hub of transportation near me, which notably includes the junction of the DVP and Gardiner. Now that the province is responsible for both highways perhaps Doug will put an end to fundraising takeovers - his past comments suggest he might.

If we want to takeover highways, let’s do it at night. I think a midnight ride or run against cancer (I always chuckle a bit when people say they’re running FOR cancer) would be a hoot.

Back