News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The 5th line interchange on the 400 just started as well.

I had to look where 5th Line was (it's not that useful to say "5th Line" without more information). It's in Bradford south of Highway 88 - would this replace the substandard Canal Road "interchange?"

Not exactly happy about it either.. hopefully when they review the greenbelt in a few years they expand it up to and around Barrie, the 400 is the largest weak spot of it currently.

is hwy 400 north of barrie being expanded to 6 lanes ? I ask because between Hwy 93 and Mt Moonstone road they have the northbound lanes completely torn up. The northbound traffic was shifted to the southbound side with 2 lanes north while south bound was reduced to 1 lane south... so 3 lanes are in place on the south bound lanes.

is hwy 400 north of barrie being expanded to 6 lanes ? I ask because between Hwy 93 and Mt Moonstone road they have the northbound lanes completely torn up. The northbound traffic was shifted to the southbound side with 2 lanes north while south bound was reduced to 1 lane south... so 3 lanes are in place on the south bound lanes.

I would guess that 3 temporary lanes (with minimal shoulders) is roughly the same width as 2 lanes with proper shoulders. Thus, I would guess that it will revert back to 2 lanes.

yes its not being widened, I believe they are simply doing a complete reconstruction of the roadbed.

Traffic levels are nowhere close to being justified for a 6 lane widening of the 400 past the 11 split.

11 needs to be widened to 6 lanes to Orillia though if you as me.. (as well as be upgraded to 400 series standards)

The return trip back today had the reverse set up .. so they must be reversing the middle lane during the over night hours.

Oh, I missed that. What bit of 410 is being widened to what?

Great ... just what we need ... more traffic getting to the 401 and 427 ...

401 - 407 is being widened from 7 lanes (4 northbound, 3 southbound) to 8 + 2 HOV, 407 to Queen Street is being widened from 6 lanes to 8 + 2 HOV. overall throughput onto the 401 is only going to experience a small increase. Expect the 407 to start getting busier though.

Its one of a couple of big HOV additions over the next few years. the 404 is going to get HOVs up to Stouffville road and the 427 is going to go from 5 lanes (3 southbound, 2 northbound) to 6 + 2 HOV from the 409 to the 407. Then of course there is the 401 Express collectors expansion which includes HOVs and from my understanding is currently funded to Trafalgar road.

I suspect the 400 will be getting some HOVs added in the 2014 southern highways program from Major Mackenzie to King road as well.

Last edited:
401 - 407 is being widened from 7 lanes (4 northbound, 3 southbound) to 8 + 2 HOV, 407 to Queen Street is being widened from 6 lanes to 8 + 2 HOV. overall throughput onto the 401 is only going to experience a small increase. Expect the 407 to start getting busier though.

Its one of a couple of big HOV additions over the next few years. the 404 is going to get HOVs up to Stouffville road and the 427 is going to go from 5 lanes (3 southbound, 2 northbound) to 6 + 2 HOV from the 409 to the 407.
Wow ... I've been oblivious to that ...

Its one of a couple of big HOV additions over the next few years. the 404 is going to get HOVs up to Stouffville road and the 427 is going to go from 5 lanes (3 southbound, 2 northbound) to 6 + 2 HOV from the 409 to the 407. Then of course there is the 401 Express collectors expansion which includes HOVs and from my understanding is currently funded to Trafalgar road.

I suspect the 400 will be getting some HOVs added in the 2014 southern highways program from Major Mackenzie to King road as well.

not to quibble but aren't the 410 lanes HOT lanes?

yes, I guess the Liberals will be able to do that now. The NDP disputed it last year and didn't let it through. all HOV lanes in the city will be upgraded to HOT from my understanding. Expect the rates to be really high however as a single HOV lane doesn't have much throughput. (probably upwards of $1 per KM)

Back